Gavin Thurman

McHawkin

In the case that you all didn't know yet, Gavin will be visiting Iowa City on September 3rd. I believe it is an official visit. So, make sure to show him plenty of Hawkeye love and support.

For those who don't know much about Gavin, he is a 6'7/210 combo forward from Wichita, KS. He ran with the KC Pump N Run AAU club, and will be playing alongside top 25 power forward Perry Ellis this winter at Wichita Heights after transferring from Wichita Southeast. Iowa and Wichita State are his top two schools.

Gavin Thurman Rivals Profile

Gavin Thurman ESPN Profile

Gavin Thurman Scout Profile

Gavin Thurman Highlight Videos

Thanks for the links. I can't say that I understand this offer. He seems more like a Lick type 4 rather than a Fran 4. I thought Fran says that he likes his bigs to play like bigs and not float on the perimeter. I am assuming that he will play the 4 at Iowa but could be wrong? I must say his jumper is darn good. He has great mechanics, the anti Hubbard.

I'm really excited about our other commits thus far, but this one is kind of a head scratcher. He's got good length and a nice shot, but that seems to be the extent of it. He looks a little feathery inside the paint, and even let a weak side put-back happen without contesting it. Just gotta trust Fran on this one I suppose.

I believe they are looking at him as more of a small forward. I see a lot of potential in this kid. He is a really good shooter from all over the floor, good ball handler for a taller guy, good passer, and has long arms and good athleticism. He has an inside game as witnessed in some of the clips, but he just seems to prefer the face-up game. If he can pick up his intensity on the defensive end and on the glass he is a sure high-major IMO.

I think I can see why Fran offered this kid. With some polishing I see a kid that could be a match-up nightmare for teams with his ability to play outside and inside. He could post up the smaller guys and draw the bigger guys out to the perimeter because you have to respect this kids shot.

as a small forward he would fit the long athletic type of player that Fran prefers, not all players 6'7 or taller have to be a power forward

Not all recruits are expected to be starters from day 1. This isn't meant as a slight to Gavin, just a point that needs to be made.

A top program doesn't consist of 5 starters and 8 player that just ride the pine. It takes a team of 13+ ballers to start winning again. This kid has talent that others on the team do not possess. He's a tall shooter that can also penetrate. He needs to get bigger and stronger and over a 4 yr period you'd expect him too.

Thurman is verstile and has been a matchup issue in AAU this Summer which is what is getting him noticed.
This is a player that would fit into Iowa's system with his ability to shoot outside against PF's and post up against SF's. Apparently, his defense is decent as well.
I like this kid, or at least everything I have read about him.

If the kid can shoot it and slash to his offensive game than this would be a nice pickup. I'm guessing what people don't like about the kid is all his other offers are mid majors. Like one poster said, not all recruits have to project as starters day one.

Hawks should be flush with power forwards the next 3-4 years with Melsahn and Meyer as pure pfs,and McCabe and White as combo forwards. Thurman fits the latter category,it sounds like. Iowa needs long wings,like Thurman,who can shoot the ball,more than true power forwards. White can shoot also. With Olaseni and hopefully Woodbury handling the middle, Iowa will have plenty of true bigs...they need quick,long perimeter guys. Guys that can play a half-court trap press,or even full court...that is how Fran wants to play and you need long,quick athletes to do it.

Just curious, what should a 35 year old man do to show this incoming recruit "hawkeye love and support"? Is letting him sleep with my wife while he's in town enough? How about if I just show up decked out in Hawkeye gear and some signs I made and follow him around campus as he visits?

Just curious, what should a 35 year old man do to show this incoming recruit "hawkeye love and support"? Is letting him sleep with my wife while he's in town enough? How about if I just show up decked out in Hawkeye gear and some signs I made and follow him around campus as he visits?

I was wondering the same thing. If this is what we are supposed to do then I'll join you so there will be 2 of us stalking him dressed in hawkeye gear with signs.

But I don't know if I can talk my wife into sleeping with him though so we'll just have to use yours.

Do whatever you feel is necessary…as long as it is within the NCAA guidlines.

Beggars can't be choosers and right now I'll take whoever we've offered so far. Last year we were losing every recruit we tried for so I'm content with just about anyone we've offered this early in the game!

Duff, are you offering your wife (for recruiting purposes only, of course)????? I'll be in town on the 21 of Sept! I'm thinking about re-enrolling in school to play for the Hockey team.

We'll need another for all our three*( no other good offers) recruits!! Sorry LIck was using My wife and.........well you know how that went.

If the kid can shoot it and slash to his offensive game than this would be a nice pickup. I'm guessing what people don't like about the kid is all his other offers are mid majors. Like one poster said, not all recruits have to project as starters day one.

Anyone who is ****** about beating out Wichita doesn't follow much basketball. They will likely be a Top 25 team this year and almost certainly a tournament team. I am more concerned that he will lack the athleticism to play the 3 in the Big Ten.

Also, I cannot stand when people use the he can take smaller 3's down low and post them up. When is the last time this strategy was used in Iowa basketball?

Latest posts