Gavin Holmes Talks to HN About Decision to Decommit from Iowa

ND played in the title game 3 years ago and MSU was in the CFP last year and has had SUSTAINED success recently. Texas is making coaching change this year. I wish Iowa was more like these schools.

This board was mostly positive last year during the 12-0 run last year. When things are going poorly, then the board is negative.
ND played in the title game 3 years ago and MSU was in the CFP last year and has had SUSTAINED success recently. Texas is making coaching change this year. I wish Iowa was more like these schools.

This board was mostly positive last year during the 12-0 run last year. When things are going poorly, then the board is negative.
ND just vacated all wins from 2012 and 2013 also 4-7 this year and MSU has 1 conference win. My point is those are reasons to freak out but not w a team that can get to 9 wins. If the players read the mood on here they'd have packed it in after the Penn St game. I agree the offense has been bad but I think that there's more to the story about CJB and him not being healthy. Schools like Texas Tech put up tons of numbers but never win or do much. Which would you want?

Last edited:
Do I get the sense that Eno is now negatively recruiting these guys away from the program? If so, perhaps this isn't a bad thing after all.

Sorry Kirk but recruiting rankings do matter. The schools that contend for the playoff every year are usually on the top of the rankings

Middling programs like yours that struggle to get into and stay in the top 25, also struggle to get 4 & 5 star recruits.

There is no better off the field indicator of how good a program is than by its recruiting ranking. My God, what a stupid thing to say.

It's not that they have de-committed - it's the reasons why. Did you actually read what Holmes had to say? Some brutal honesty there.
Kinda nice to see a kid give the reasons why instead of just saying some 'coach speak' like due to the current situations or some garbage like that. We all knew/know the reasons but to have him spell it out point blank is refreshing. That's calling out the staff point blank saying hey you had me but now you don't.... Staff has nobody to blame but themselves period

Of course, HS players are every bit the prima donnas, not deserving, on an objective level, of all of the attention and fawning they get (and demand). But without the players, your program will have a lower ceiling; it just will. It is the lifeblood of a college program.

I don't know anything about Kelvin Bell, but I thought Seth Wallace was doing a great job as recruiting coordinator - I was sorry to see him get moved out of that position. Not saying Bell is bad, but Wallace was good. Head of recruiting is probably the most underrated position on a college football staff. Think of Iowa's situation, and I think it tracks pretty well.

Last edited:
Of course, HS players are every bit the prima donnas, not deserving, on an objective level, of all of the attention and fawning the get (and demand). But without the players, your program will have a lower ceiling; it just will. It is the lifeblood of a college program.

I don't know anything about Kelvin Bell, but I thought Seth Wallace was doing a great job as recruiting coordinator - I was sorry to see him get moved out of that position. Not saying Bell is bad, but Wallace was good. Head of recruiting is probably the most underrated position on a college football staff. Think of Iowa's situation, and I think it tracks pretty well.

I would bet Kirk doesn't include Kelvin on mass emails to his staff, and eye rolls every time someone mentions his title "recruiting coordinator". Then he tells a story starting with "In the old days....". Then he eats neopolitan ice cream.

Edit for clarification: When he eats the neopolitan ice cream he doesn't say "I'm eating ice cream." He says "I'm eating an ice cream."

Last edited:
Part of me hopes he goes to Wisconsin and lights our arse up. That might be the wrong way to think but frustration is high with this staff. . . .

This is sad, who once looked like a program advocate Enos now looks like he may have set back recruiting at Iowa. What's also sad is that only 1 side of the story is getting told so everyone is taking sides with the recruit.

True but some on this board would want us to believe they know what went on........it gets old. Some that own a hammer only know how to pound nails.

That is a terrible decision on his part, he would have had a great opportunity to succeed at the University of Iowa. The good thing is that Iowa has excellent facilities, and a good staff. They will have no problem finding good players to replace these attention seeking cry babies.

I'm just excited for Iowa to bring in more walk-on 5'9'' 180 lb guys with average speed. That'll show em, right KF?

Note to the coaches in the football program. STOP RECRUITING KIDS WHO'VE COMMITTED TO OTHER SCHOOLS UNTIL YOU FOOLS CHANGE YOUR POLICY.

Last edited:
Iowa has offers out to 15 receivers that are ranked higher than him. I think that they get Oliver Martin plus one other. The New Jersey connection has been strong, this opens up a spot to bring in Eddie Lewis.

Latest posts