Gatens signs 1-year deal with Spanish team

HawkeyeHypnosis

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120731/SPORTS/120731027/?odyssey=nav|head

From article:

Former Iowa basketball standout Matt Gatens has signed a one-year deal to play professionally in Spain. The Hawkeyes’ No. 6 career scorer will play for UCAM Murcia, located in Murcia, Spain. He expects to report to his new club later this month.

“Just to get this opportunity is awesome,â€￾ Gatens said Tuesday. “It’s a great opportunity to see the world and be paid to play basketball.â€￾

“The ultimate goal is the NBA, but this is the best alternative,â€￾ Gatens said. “It’s the best league in Europe. This is definitely a good start.â€￾

“I’m told the fans (in Spain) are wild, crazy and passionate,â€￾ said Gatens, who declined to discuss the financial terms of his deal. “It should be pretty cool.â€￾

The team's not very good. Looks like they hover around the relegation line all year.

do you always have to **** in the cheerios??

congrats to matt on the opportunity

I wasn't commenting on Matt, I was just pointing something out. People keep thinking he'll be traveling around Europe, but this team has no shot a a super league and, as far as I have been able to find, plays only in Spain.

I wasn't commenting on Matt, I was just pointing something out. People keep thinking he'll be traveling around Europe, but this team has no shot a a super league and, as far as I have been able to find, plays only in Spain.

Plus, Spain is in serious financial trouble right now, and there is unrest among the population.

Maybe Matt can also help lay a foundation for the Spanish team to build on like he did in Iowa:)
The fans at least are still going to the games.

AsUSbf8CEAAYRyy.png

It would be horribly laffy if Lick was hired as this teams head coach.
Matty-Gate would prolly implode.

Latest posts