Gatens = Bawinkle

What a bold statement. I didn't think that talk was allowed. I think of all the players he has made the least progress from year one to year two. I love the kid, but I don't think he is a complete player yet. Of course hard to tell on this team because the supporting cast is very inconsistent.

1) Gatens is currently playing with one leg.

2) Gatens prob gets the best defender each night. Well actually, probably May now but Gatens will get the 2nd best defender each night.

3) Gatens plays within the game & doesn't force too much. Maybe he should start forcing a bit more.

4) Gatens seriously needs a big man down low to be effective to take the pressure off. Would be nice to have a big man be able to pass out of the block to open players. Gatens could be effective with this strategy. Of course, not in Lick's system.

5) Gatens & May in the future looks like an intriging combination. They could really compliment each other very well. Throw an effective post player in there with a coach willing to use it & look out.

Then I guess you need to clarify what you mean by last several games. Otherwise you are just contradicting yourself. Does that mean all season, or just the last few games? Or will you just choose the length to fit your argument?

Oh, do you mind if I use questions marks, or is that an issue for you too? Not sure if you learned punctuation in grammer school or not? Otherwise it can sometimes be hard to understand intent on a message board without the proper exclamations, et al.....

I agree with you that this thread is ridiculous.

By the way, "Not sure if you learned punctuation in grammer [sic] school or not" is not a question. It is a statement. A question is followed by a question mark, and a statement by a period.

Just sayin'.

Gatens, Payne and May as a trio just flat out turn the ball over way too much for this team to compete. Their assists to turnover is abysmal.

Gatens 83 asst 70 TO
Payne 87 asst

Gatens, Payne and May as a trio just flat out turn the ball over way too much for this team to compete. Their assists to turnover is abysmal.

Gatens 83 asst 70 TO
Payne 87 asst

Actually, they already do compete. They've only been blown out (beat by more than 12 points) 6 times all year. They have had 7 games so far that they either could have or should have won, 3 of which were against teams that are ranked in the top 15. And those guys are young. Their decision-making will improve with the experience they've gained this year, and they won't make as many mistakes next season.

Sorry

Gatens 83 asst 70 TO
Payne 87 asst 77 TO
May 35 asst 50TO

That's 217 of the entire teams 339 turnovers! These 3 need to improve. I didn't realize May gave it away so much also.

Here are some stats for comparison of Gatens as a freshman and soph:

FG % Freshman .422 Soph .365
3-PT % Freshman .403 Soph .344
FT % Freshman .904 Soph .836
TO Freshman 51 Soph 70 (to date)

On the other hand, his assists are up this year (though the A/TO ratio is down) and rebounding is up from 3.8 to 4.3 per game. His minutes are up from 34 to 36 per game. FWIW, Bawinkel's FGP this season (all of his shots have been 3's) is .368, his FTP is 50% (on 4 FT's), his A/TO ratio is better than Gatens' but with much less ballhandlng, and his RPG are much lower, though not so much lower on a per-minute basis.

In most respects, this year Gatens is clearly not performing as well as last year. Part of it is that there's more pressure on him (in every sense). Hopefully we'll see his numbers improve next season as hopefully he'll have more help and more rest.

Last edited:
I'm sure Matt's injured ankle doesn't mean anything, right?

I will say this, though. Matt doesn't look much improved from last year, and he is getting frustrated on the court. More times than not he gives the glare at the refs after whistles (or lack there of).

Iowa is lucky to have Matt, he's a true Hawkeye, and will have a solid career at Iowa. He'd be much better on a better team, though.

I hope things turn around for him and the team. I feel bad for him, considering he grew up idolizing Iowa sports.

I'm sure Matt's injured ankle doesn't mean anything, right?

I will say this, though. Matt doesn't look much improved from last year, and he is getting frustrated on the court. More times than not he gives the glare at the refs after whistles (or lack there of).

Iowa is lucky to have Matt, he's a true Hawkeye, and will have a solid career at Iowa. He'd be much better on a better team, though.

I hope things turn around for him and the team. I feel bad for him, considering he grew up idolizing Iowa sports.

I feel bad for him as well. Growing up a hawkeye and to have your first two seasons end up like this.

To address the original question. I believe when healthy, Gatens would start for the majority of the Big Ten teams (NW, Indiana, PSU, Mich, OSU) and play on all of them. Bawinkle probably wouldn't make the roster of any other Big Ten team. Gatens would probably be the third offensive option on most of those teams but he would be a big contributor as a spot up shooter and be able to penetrate when not the focus of the defense.