Gatens = Bawinkle

I think Matt's ankle is bothering him more than it shows. He had a break away today that he could have easily dunked, but layed it in instead. He would have dunked this had he been 100%! Earlier in the season, Fuller was so ineffective he did not even play due to his ankle injury. Many assumed he was in Lick's doghouse. No, he was injured and now we have seen what a healthy Fuller can do. Unfortunately there is nobody that can repalce Gaten's due to his injury. Props to him for playing through it. He will be better next year with better and deeper talent around him! How soon we forget the football season and how long Moeki was out with his ankle injury. They linger, they just don't heal up in 12 days!

I think Matt's ankle is bothering him more than it shows. He had a break away today that he could have easily dunked, but layed it in instead. He would have dunked this had he been 100%! Earlier in the season, Fuller was so ineffective he did not even play due to his ankle injury. Many assumed he was in Lick's doghouse. No, he was injured and now we have seen what a healthy Fuller can do. Unfortunately there is nobody that can repalce Gaten's due to his injury. Props to him for playing through it. He will be better next year with better and deeper talent around him! How soon we forget the football season and how long Moeki was out with his ankle injury. They linger, they just don't heal up in 12 days!

Your exclamations would have more punch if it weren't for the fact that Gatens' issues didn't just appear in the last three games.

By the way, I also wanted to add that a rumor is floating around that Gatens is going to transfer at the end of the season to be closer to his family.

Matt seemed to enjoy playing more last season. I remember seeing a smile on his face and he showed some emotion after a good play. This year all you see is a scowl.

Your exclamations would have more punch if it weren't for the fact that Gatens' issues didn't just appear in the last three games.

Then I guess you need to clarify what you mean by last several games. Otherwise you are just contradicting yourself. Does that mean all season, or just the last few games? Or will you just choose the length to fit your argument?

Oh, do you mind if I use questions marks, or is that an issue for you too? Not sure if you learned punctuation in grammer school or not? Otherwise it can sometimes be hard to understand intent on a message board without the proper exclamations, et al.....

Matt seemed to enjoy playing more last season. I remember seeing a smile on his face and he showed some emotion after a good play. This year all you see is a scowl.

Well I am sure Gatens is just ecstatic to have won as many games as 8? I think we are all scowling(Freddy can I use an exclamation)! TS!!!

Gatens is Glen Worley without the foul problems to me. And what was with Gatens on the fast break? Either throw it down or give it up to the trailing May.

I loved what Gatens did as a freshman, and he's a born and bred Hawkeye. You have to pull extra hard for him to succeed.

However, I've had exactly the same thought as the OP about Gatens the last several games: He's not much different than Bawkinkel this year. Bawinkel isn't hitting a lot of his shots, and neither is Gatens. And the rest of the game just hasn't been there.

I know Gatens had an ankle sprain the day of the first Ohio State game, but watching him in warmups, he had a lot more spring in his step against Illinois. Unless he reinjured it since then, I doubt that it hampered him significantly in today's game.

I think Matt has two problems this season. One is that there aren't any major offensive threats on the team to draw attention away from him. Opponents know how well he shot it last year, and they don't help off of him or leave him alone.

The other is that Matt is a tweener. He's not big enough for SF, and he's really not quick enough for either wing spot. He plays with guts and brains most of the time, and if he gets a good opening, he can nail the three with reasonable consistency. As I sat at the Illinois game last Wednesday, I told a friend that I really hope Matt has a chance to play on a good team before he leaves Iowa. He deserves it. But he's going to need a lot of help for that to happen. He's not the kind of player who can carry a team on his own.

As John Johnson once said: "I agree 100% with Freddy"

Although he has much more upside than Wink, it hasn't shown much this year. If he is still here his senior year, it will be easy to forget his sophmore year.

Gatens has struggled this year, some because of injury or maybe just playing on a bad team. His year reminds me of Michael Payne who had a great Frosh season then had a prettty average career. I love Matt's competitive nature and hope he sees March Madness in the future..

Gatens is Glen Worley without the foul problems to me. And what was with Gatens on the fast break? Either throw it down or give it up to the trailing May.

So you are criticizing a player for deciding to make a layup? I can't even think of what to type next. Would a thunder dunk by May get the two Iowa people in the crowd pumped? If Matt had comitted a TO passing that back to May, or May missed the dunk, the board and Lick would have been in meltdown mode. Matt did the right thing and took the two points.

Last edited:
A little early in Matt's career for that comparison to Worley. Matt is playing out of position a lot of the time and guarding bigger players most of the time.

And, I could care less how we get 2 points if a layup alone on the break will do it. Now, that is looking for a negative when possible.

Matt is not a #1 option on a Big Ten team. He has more skill that Jason Bohanon, and in that system, he would have been a 1,000 point scorer at Wisconsin, too...he will be at iowa, but it will have been in a role that I dont think he is best suited for. And that's not on him.

I agree that he's not a #1 option on a Big 10 team. Interesting...there is the thread where the OP is asking how we would do with Evan Turner on our team with our existing roster...I feel like a guy like Gatens could be one of the biggest benefactors of a player like that. The kid can shoot the deep ball, and occasionally surprise with a move to the basket. But having to do as much as he is asked if setting him up for failure.

On the other hand, I don't necessarily think he's a better player than Bohannon. But it's difficult to compare because of the talent Bohannon has played with vs. the talent Gatens has tried to carry.

Ok, I admit I have been a pretty negative poster, but this is perhaps the dumbest thread I have read. Ever. In history. To compare Gatens to Bawinkle? And not to rip on Bawinkle, he does what he can with what he has, but when a guy has not even made an attempt to drive to the basket in 2 years, come on? Do you even watch the games?

On the bright side, this thread is making me realize I need to be more positive, as the ridiculousness of many people on here has went over the top.

Ok, I admit I have been a pretty negative poster, but this is perhaps the dumbest thread I have read. Ever. In history. To compare Gatens to Bawinkle? And not to rip on Bawinkle, he does what he can with what he has, but when a guy has not even made an attempt to drive to the basket in 2 years, come on? Do you even watch the games?

On the bright side, this thread is making me realize I need to be more positive, as the ridiculousness of many people on here has went over the top.

FINALLY!!!! A convert!!! Our first success story!!! haha

I think I saw this question on an SAT test once. It went something like:

Gatens is to Bawinkel as:

and the choices were

A) Grant Hill is to Steve Kerr
B) Leonardo da Vinci is to the guy who painted my house
C) A Swiss Army knife is to a bottle opener
D) This question is far too stupid to be on this test

I remember I picked D.

Then I guess you need to clarify what you mean by last several games. Otherwise you are just contradicting yourself. Does that mean all season, or just the last few games? Or will you just choose the length to fit your argument?

Oh, do you mind if I use questions marks, or is that an issue for you too? Not sure if you learned punctuation in grammer school or not? Otherwise it can sometimes be hard to understand intent on a message board without the proper exclamations, et al.....

I think I saw this question on an SAT test once. It went something like:

Gatens is to Bawinkel as:

and the choices were

A) Grant Hill is to Steve Kerr
B) Leonardo da Vinci is to the guy who painted my house
C) A Swiss Army knife is to a bottle opener
D) This question is far too stupid to be on this test

I remember I picked D.

Nicely done.

Gatens leads the team in scoring and minutes. He is second in assists and steals.
He has scored in double figures in 18 of 24 games. He has an injured ankle.
He has become the #1 target of opposing defenses this year and has had to take shot-clock beating shots way more than last,hence his shooting percentage. When he gets set up for a clean look from three..he is money.

I agree that he is not a #1 scorer on a good big ten team. Look at OSU..They have 4 scoring threats on the perimeter that can also go to the hole...Iowa has maybe one,in May. If Gatens was on OSU, he would be diebler.