Garza’s rebounding

NikeHawk21

Haven’t seen it discussed too much but is it a little concerning that our center and tallest player is 4th on the team in rebounds?

Also he's third in blocked shots with 14 just behind Cook who’s not much better at 15 which is hard to fathom given his athleticism.

This was one of my concerns with redshirting Nunge because I thought he was going to be a guy that could bring some of those thing that Garza doesn’t. Obviously Garza is very good on the offensive end but on an offensive minded team you almost wonder if it would be better having a rim protector type that was a beast on the boards and could get 8-10 instead of 12-15 like Garza.

Haven’t seen it discussed too much but is it a little concerning that our center and tallest player is 4th on the team in rebounds?

Also he's third in blocked shots with 14 just behind Cook who’s not much better at 15 which is hard to fathom given his athleticism.

This was one of my concerns with redshirting Nunge because I thought he was going to be a guy that could bring some of those thing that Garza doesn’t. Obviously Garza is very good on the offensive end but on an offensive minded team you almost wonder if it would be better having a rim protector type that was a beast on the boards and could get 8-10 instead of 12-15 like Garza.
Very good on the offensive end? Somewhat serviceable at best

I still think the season is pretty long for a guy that had a monstrous cyst removed before the start of the season. His body is probably wearing out.

The 1st 2/3rds of the season , yes he was very good , these last few games he has been absent , what I wonder is if a full season after his surgery has caught up with him , you can see in his face that the effort he is giving now is tough for him , I think he has hit a wall and much of it probably related to the surgery , he did come back much sooner than anyone thought he would , 1 thing I am darn sure of , he is giving 100% of whatever he has left to give , don't think he knows how to play any other way

The 1st 2/3rds of the season , yes he was very good , these last few games he has been absent , what I wonder is if a full season after his surgery has caught up with him , you can see in his face that the effort he is giving now is tough for him , I think he has hit a wall and much of it probably related to the surgery , he did come back much sooner than anyone thought he would , 1 thing I am darn sure of , he is giving 100% of whatever he has left to give , don't think he knows how to play any other way
Garza did have some great games after he rested from the sprained ankle. He should be good to go next year.

Garza currently has a higher offensive rating than Ethan Happ and Nick Ward, that is despite his recent slump. The kid will go down as one of the best offensive centers in Iowa basketball history.

My question and concern is about his rebounding ability and ability to protect the rim.

Garza is good, actually very very good on the offensive side. He has struggled as of late which makes me think he’s not 100% healthy. I’d be interested in seeing where Garza ranks in offensive glass, seems to me he is pretty potent on that end. In the end I am left with the belief that FM does not recognize solid D leads to good offense, he just doesn’t teach it.

Garza couldn’t do offseason conditioning. He’s still playing in his freshman body. I think strength, conditioning, rebounding and interior defense will all be better with a healthy off-season. Garza is one guy I don’t worry about. He will put in the work to get better.

Garza couldn’t do offseason conditioning. He’s still playing in his freshman body. I think strength, conditioning, rebounding and interior defense will all be better with a healthy off-season. Garza is one guy I don’t worry about. He will put in the work to get better.
Recovering from a core injury certainly takes longer. But that usually means that they get stronger the further away from the surgery they get. For some reason, Garza's recovery is the opposite.

The more 3 pt shots taken, the fewer rebounds that Garza will likely get. He isn't quick enough to track down long rebounds.

Recovering from a core injury certainly takes longer. But that usually means that they get stronger the further away from the surgery they get. For some reason, Garza's recovery is the opposite.
Big 10 is a grind. And he’s been injured in season as well.

Garza is good, actually very very good on the offensive side. He has struggled as of late which makes me think he’s not 100% healthy. I’d be interested in seeing where Garza ranks in offensive glass, seems to me he is pretty potent on that end. In the end I am left with the belief that FM does not recognize solid D leads to good offense, he just doesn’t teach it.
His offensive rebounding percentage is 9.3, which is first on the team (for regulars), but not particularly good. Here are some other B1G players:

Fernando: 12.7
Happ: 13.2
Murphy: 13.2
Wesson: 13.9
Ward: 18.3
Teske: 15.7

Agree. He has to make the 3 or it hurts our rebounding.
I'm talking about when Garza is in rebounding position, while others are taking 3 pt shots. The ball carom is longer after a missed 3 pt shot. This allows smaller players to run them down. Garza can't because he's too slow of foot. On offense and defense.

He also seems to have the Woodbury hops. I may have been able to see some air between his shoes and the floor the other day. What is his vertical, a foot? As a guy who played with a small frame, it is one of my biggest pet peeves watching these tall players not jump, because they never really had to.

I realize BIG men carry a lot of weight because they have a lot of body, but cripes, try to jump a little better. When Garza is withing 3 ft of the hoop he should be tearing that thing down.

Garza currently has a higher offensive rating than Ethan Happ and Nick Ward, that is despite his recent slump. The kid will go down as one of the best offensive centers in Iowa basketball history.

My question and concern is about his rebounding ability and ability to protect the rim.
And his ability to play on ball pressure defense. It’s so easy to go around him.

And his ability to play on ball pressure defense. It’s so easy to go around him.
For the most part he’s a defensive liability, as is Bohannon. Those are the two most important defensive positions, meaning iowa is completely behind the 8 ball.

Then you throw in Cook who has limited B-ball IQ and questionable effort it doesn’t get much better.

The reason iowa is bad at defense is because they have bad defensive players. The reason they are good at offense is because they have good offensive players.