Garza’s rebounding

It seems like getting in foul trouble has really messed with his head on both ends of the court. I also agree with others that shoot Ing more threes has hurt Garza's offensive rebounding numbers.

Also why has Iowa gone away from throwing the ball inside to our bigs on offense? Cook and Garza are really tough to stop when they get the ball on the block. Cook needs to be more aggressive and attack if he has a one on one matchup. Too often he seems to try to make a play by passing I stead of attacking the basket. Gotta figure out a way to get him more looks.

For the most part he’s a defensive liability, as is Bohannon. Those are the two most important defensive positions, meaning iowa is completely behind the 8 ball.

Then you throw in Cook who has limited B-ball IQ and questionable effort it doesn’t get much better.

The reason iowa is bad at defense is because they have bad defensive players. The reason they are good at offense is because they have good offensive players.

Everyone on this team is a defensive liability from what I see.

He also seems to have the Woodbury hops. I may have been able to see some air between his shoes and the floor the other day. What is his vertical, a foot? As a guy who played with a small frame, it is one of my biggest pet peeves watching these tall players not jump, because they never really had to.

I realize BIG men carry a lot of weight because they have a lot of body, but cripes, try to jump a little better. When Garza is withing 3 ft of the hoop he should be tearing that thing down.
You would have loved my hops. It was one of the few things I had. At 5'9" I could get a pretty good piece of the rim. At 6'1" I would have been dunking. Easily.

As for Garza, I sure as hell hope he isn't lugging another cyst up and down the court. A second cyst could be career threatening. But something's off. He got off to a good offensive start against Rutgers, then was the first starter to labor out there.

Off topic. I LOVE seeing Shaka Smart get his ass kicked. Texas Tech, with their defense, is going to be a tough out. They raised a high bar last year, however, making it to the elite eight. Matt Mooney, the former South Dakota star, was a nice grad transfer for them to pick up.

Also off topic, can we get rid of the postgame handshake line. Most coaches just blow by each other anymore. More concerning, there was a near riot after the Utah State-Nevada game the other night, caused partially by Utah State fans rushing the court and taunting Nevada players. Musselman was going ballistic and may be facing disciplinary action from his school.

Last edited:
You would have loved my hops. It was one of the few things I had. At 5'9" I could get a pretty good piece of the rim. At 6'1" I would have been dunking. Easily.

As for Garza, I sure as hell hope he isn't lugging another cyst up and down the court. A second cyst could be career threatening. But something's off. He got off to a good offensive start against Rutgers, then was the first starter to labor out there.

I also played at 5’ 9”. I eventually could get my fingers just over the lip of the rim. We had to jump just to play the game effectively. What sucked was the disparity in officiating for small players. A small player would block a shot cleanly but ref would assume had to foul and call it. Than opposite a smaller player would get his shot blocked but never get a foul called even though hit.

Off topic. I LOVE seeing Shaka Smart get his ass kicked. Texas Tech, with their defense, is going to be a tough out. They raised a high bar last year, however, making it to the elite eight. Matt Mooney, the former South Dakota star, was a nice grad transfer for them to pick up.

Also off topic, can we get rid of the postgame handshake line. Most coaches just blow by each other anymore. More concerning, there was a near riot after the Utah State-Nevada game the other night, caused partially by Utah State fans rushing the court and taunting Nevada players. Musselman was going ballistic and may be facing disciplinary action from his school.

Turns out that the incident had nothing to do with court storming/fans. It was an incident within the handshake line between a Utah State coach and Nevada player. It does support your view of getting rid of handshake line, especially in volatile situations (like ISU-Iowa game earlier this year :) ). Nevada - Utah State was pretty crazy if you see some of the videos in the story.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...stgame-incident-after-nevada-utah-state-game/

"Inappropriate conduct by individuals from both programs in the postgame handshake line and subsequently in the locker room areas created the unfortunate circumstances," the Mountain West said in its Monday statement. "The Conference office has had multiple communications with both athletics directors and has shared the findings of its review. Each institution will be responsible for the determination and administration of what it deems appropriate disciplinary action for those involved. It must be made clear unsportsmanlike and unprofessional conduct is not acceptable and will not be tolerated."

Turns out that the incident had nothing to do with court storming/fans. It was an incident within the handshake line between a Utah State coach and Nevada player. It does support your view of getting rid of handshake line, especially in volatile situations (like ISU-Iowa game earlier this year :) ). Nevada - Utah State was pretty crazy if you see some of the videos in the story.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...stgame-incident-after-nevada-utah-state-game/

"Inappropriate conduct by individuals from both programs in the postgame handshake line and subsequently in the locker room areas created the unfortunate circumstances," the Mountain West said in its Monday statement. "The Conference office has had multiple communications with both athletics directors and has shared the findings of its review. Each institution will be responsible for the determination and administration of what it deems appropriate disciplinary action for those involved. It must be made clear unsportsmanlike and unprofessional conduct is not acceptable and will not be tolerated."

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like Jordan Caroline 86'ed a glass fire extinguisher case. Lucky he didn't mangle his hand. Baseball player Dick Allen once punched a car headlight in a domestic altracation and the damage he did to his hand was one of the many incidents that derailed what should have been a hall of fame career.

I played at 5'11" as a junior in high school and was able to dunk about half the time. Some days were better than others. I have a 6'5" (monkey arms, I'm white though so it isn't racist) wingspan though so I'm sure that helped, I didn't know my arms were so long until I was like 30 years old though, and it finally made sense why I was able to outrebound, outjump and outdunk all my friends who were taller. I bet I can barely get net on a hoop now, so sad how far my athleticism has fallen =(

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like Jordan Caroline 86'ed a glass fire extinguisher case. Lucky he didn't mangle his hand. Baseball player Dick Allen once punched a car headlight in a domestic altracation and the damage he did to his hand was one of the many incidents that derailed what should have been a hall of fame career.

Dick Allen could juggle with a ciggy in his mouth ... all time great. :)

6883816f6e4b24ff93a00fc3cf1a69bf.jpg

Just an update on this.

Garza has 4 total rebounds in the last three games. 56 minutes and 4 total rebounds for our tallest player.