Garza....

What he's doing as a Freshman Center in the Big Ten is pretty unreal...and he's doing it in limited minutes too. He's still averaging under 20 minutes per game.

You look at Centers like Kaminsky and Adreian Payne...they barely even played their first two years in college. You look at a big man like Robbie Hummel, his freshman year he averaged 11 points, 6 rebounds in 28 minutes. Garza is averaging that same number in 20 minutes.

The key for Garza will be staying hungry and improving every year. He needs to build strength, improve his defense, and improve his outside shot.

Patience is a virtue. Especially with big guys. All is not lost with this group. Maybe for this season yes but I see next year this group doing some damage.

Garza, Cook, Bohannon, Weiskamp and ???? next season could be pretty decent, though I don't want to get my hopes up after this year.

The kid is going to be good, to that there is no doubt. He kept the Hawks mentally sort of in the Purdue game. When he can do it against better teams when we aren't 80 points behind, I'll get a bit more excited. Purdue wasn't interested in the game when he came alive.

Hope is there.

Not sure if I'd get too stoked about next year, but I do like Garza. We have a premier 3 pt shooter in JBO, and a good Big Man in Garza. A good PF in Cook and hopefully Moss or Wieskamp can pick up the slack elsewhere.
So....what is the missing ingredient.... ok I won't even go there it has been hashed over enough on here :)

Not sure if I'd get too stoked about next year, but I do like Garza. We have a premier 3 pt shooter in JBO, and a good Big Man in Garza. A good PF in Cook and hopefully Moss or Wieskamp can pick up the slack elsewhere.
So....what is the missing ingredient.... ok I won't even go there it has been hashed over enough on here :)
Nunge?? ;) So long as JBo can keep playing the big mins and producing like he is a 2nd pg would be a luxury not a necessity.

I did this earlier in the year but ran the numbers again....

In the 12 wins, Garza is averaging 15 points per game
In the 12 losses, Garza is averaging 7 points per game
Yup Iowa's been a 2 man team when they lose. When they win it's Garza and or Moss that are also playing well. Cook and JBo can't literally outscore teams themselves. Those numbers pretty much reflect that to a T

Yup Iowa's been a 2 man team when they lose. When they win it's Garza and or Moss that are also playing well. Cook and JBo can't literally outscore teams themselves. Those numbers pretty much reflect that to a T

I almost added something like this to my original post. Defense is certainly one of the main problems but we need a consistent 3rd scorer.

We can't have Moss and Garza go games with 2 points and there's been a lot of them.

Garza is a beast for a Freshman. He will help this team back to the top 1/3 of the conference. Obviously not this season lol. I hope we can put it all together next year and Garza can have several big years. I do wonder what his ambitions are though. I could see him being good enough by his Junior year to go if that's what he wants. I sure hope he stays for 4.

Garza is a beast for a Freshman. He will help this team back to the top 1/3 of the conference. Obviously not this season lol. I hope we can put it all together next year and Garza can have several big years. I do wonder what his ambitions are though. I could see him being good enough by his Junior year to go if that's what he wants. I sure hope he stays for 4.
Go where? Lol.

I don’t know if you’ve watched the NBA lately but they aren’t looking for 6’11 guys who are slow of foot. There isn’t much back to the basket play in the league anymore. Nunge has much more NBA potential than Garza.

With that said Garza is going to be an awesome player for us for the next several years so I’m glad we have him.

I almost added something like this to my original post. Defense is certainly one of the main problems but we need a consistent 3rd scorer.

We can't have Moss and Garza go games with 2 points and there's been a lot of them.
Exactly Iowa can't win scoring 60ish points with the D they have. They have to be over 80 pretty much just to be in it. To get there they need 3 guys at the least playing really well or 5 or 6 guys all doing well like last night. Iowa can get 40-45 pts from JBo and Cook every night but that leaves quite a bit on the table yet to be had..

Nunge?? ;) So long as JBo can keep playing the big mins and producing like he is a 2nd pg would be a luxury not a necessity.

I still want a penetrating explosive PG. Could you imagine one that breaks the defense down and can kick it out to JBO for spot up 3s? Just an assassin out around the perimeter and would love to use him more off screens and less on ball handling.

Luka Garza should be a coaching case study for effort. He's the Rudy of this Iowa basketball team. If I could put his motor in every player we have, we'd have 5 or 6 more wins. At least. Be careful about projecting how good he will be in the future. He reminds me of Baer in some ways. He will maximize his talents with pure hustle and effort. But players like that won't make huge leaps in production over a short period of time. Yes, 4 seasons for a young man is a short period of time.

Latest posts