GARZA VS KAMINSKY

I was one of the guys who bought into the hype around CJ to the point where I got ripped on for assuming a freshman was going to be better than a 4th year starter. So needless to say, I expected a lot out of him. I'm still blown away by how good he is. He's probably right behind Wieskamp as far as all around player goes. I would have never though I would say that.

Not going to lie, I thought you bought into the hype of CJF is because you had so much disdain for IM. IM was your favorite dude to pick on.

Doesn’t matter, CJF can play. Realize I am stating the obvious. It is a moot point,so.........

Not going to lie, I thought you bought into the hype of CJF is because you had so much disdain for IM. IM was your favorite dude to pick on.

Doesn’t matter, CJF can play. Realize I am stating the obvious. It is a moot point,so.........

I understand why you would think that. But I think CJ helps prove why I had such a problem with Moss. CJ doesn't score more than Moss, but his contribution to the team is night and day better. Moss never did any of the little things you need to do to win games. The 2 position killed us for the last 3 years and it was frustrating to watch.

I understand why you would think that. But I think CJ helps prove why I had such a problem with Moss. CJ doesn't score more than Moss, but his contribution to the team is night and day better. Moss never did any of the little things you need to do to win games. The 2 position killed us for the last 3 years and it was frustrating to watch.
I agree with what you said expect for the part where you said the 2 position “killed” us for 3 years. That’s a bit of a stretch. Moss is playing over 23 minutes a game on a Kansas team that sits in the top 10. We had several other issues.

I agree with what you said expect for the part where you said the 2 position “killed” us for 3 years. That’s a bit of a stretch. Moss is playing over 23 minutes a game on a Kansas team that sits in the top 10. We had several other issues.

Uhl was our 6th man on a team that was 3rd in the country at this point in the season.

Uhl was our 6th man on a team that was 3rd in the country at this point in the season.
Well that’s a valid point I suppose.

Nonetheless if Moss killed us so badly Fran could have put in Connor for him and moved Wieskamp to the 2. You’ve always had a profound dislike for Moss, and look I don’t disagree with a lot of the shortcomings, but saying the kid killed us for 3 years is a little bit of a stretch.

Anyone know what Garza did differently in the offseason? Is it mostly maturation? Did someone on the outside work on his fundamentals? CJ and Luka are way beyond what we expect out of a Fran coached player on fundamentals. Something caused this and likely not from within the program based on history. Fundamentals have been a Fran weakness. Weaker than what you'd expect out of a Big team. Joe I would put in that conversation as well.

I do think that 9 pound tumor really stunted his development the previous year. He seems like a fired up and determined kid so who knows what next year will bring.

Well that’s a valid point I suppose.

Nonetheless if Moss killed us so badly Fran could have put in Connor for him and moved Wieskamp to the 2. You’ve always had a profound dislike for Moss, and look I don’t disagree with a lot of the shortcomings, but saying the kid killed us for 3 years is a little bit of a stretch.

Killed us might not have been the best wording. Weak link in the starting lineup is better.

You might want to read the story behind the kiss-blowing.

There may be something totally innocent about it and I may have missed the story on it. Do you have a link?

I am just speculating that Garza is doing it because he is going to go pro and is trying to build his image. I hope I am wrong because next years team with Bo and Nunge could be one for the ages.

Have no idea why he would leave unless he wants to go directly to Europe where I feel his game is a better fit. At this stage in his career I don't think his game translates well to todays NBA. 25 years ago it would be a no brainer for him to leave. I am very impressed with how much his game has grown though from last year.

If he has one more year in college to get stronger, quicker, more explosive, and work on a few things he has a better shot to make an impact in the NBA right away. Right now his greatest attribute is his work ethic and competitive spirit. That is something you can't coach or just all of a sudden develop so I think his future is very bright with those two things as his foundation.

That's why I said "scoring abilities". Jokic is the best passing big to probably ever play. I meant his post scoring and ability to face up to go along with having a similar body type as Luka. The passing and ball handling isn't even close lol.

Yes, Gasol is more defensive minded but again I was comparing their scoring abilities. Just didn't feel like pointing it out like I did in the other thread in my lengthy post. :)

I'd put Arvydas Sabonis as the best passing big of all time. The dude INVENTED the point center position. The Trailblazers would put him on the block and he'd pass or score. They'd put him at the top of the key and he'd pass or score. Keep in mind that he was drafted in the first round in 1985 but didn't play in the NBA until 1995 when he was 31 years old. (And the standard joke of the time was that Sabonis could qualify for a handicap parking spot due to all the injuries he had sustained over his career in Russia and Europe up to that point.)

Anyone know what Garza did differently in the offseason? Is it mostly maturation? Did someone on the outside work on his fundamentals? CJ and Luka are way beyond what we expect out of a Fran coached player on fundamentals. Something caused this and likely not from within the program based on history. Fundamentals have been a Fran weakness. Weaker than what you'd expect out of a Big team. Joe I would put in that conversation as well.

I'd say it was not having a 9 pound cyst removed in the summer. That's about a month and a half to two months for the surgery and recovery that he lost out on in the off-season.

I can't think of a player who has improved as much as Garza over one year. Hard work, fundamentals, strength and conditioning, leadership, and new opportunities to score and lead...a potent mix.

Yes, it is fun to watch the "New Garza." Heart of a Lion.

As much growth he has shown, Frederick has been even more surprising to me. Perhaps Moss saw the writing on the wall.

How about Brad Lohaus? He was thinking of leaving the team his senior year because of lack of playing time and Davis talked him into staying.

How about Brad Lohaus? He was thinking of leaving the team his senior year because of lack of playing time and Davis talked him into staying.
Another Davis project, Les Jepsen.

Les couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time his first two years and that was after initially taking a reshirt. He started coming on his junior year thanks to injuries to Matt Bullard and Michael Ingram and could contribute if players paid too much attention to Ed Horton inside.

Jepsen then exploded his senior to average fifteen points per game. Seemed to just come out of nowhere. He was the clear Alpha Dog after Ray Thompson flunked out of school on what was a young, disjointed team.

I have to admit, over the years, Iowa has had quite a few talented big men. Don Nelson, Bruce King, Kevin Kunnert, Steve Krafcisin, Steve Waite, Acie Earl, Brad Lohaus, Greg Stokes, Les Jepsen, Jacob Jaacks, Jared Cole, Adam Woodbury, Gabe Olasani, just to name a few. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone as dominant in an Iowa uniform as Luka Garza.

I have to admit, over the years, Iowa has had quite a few talented big men. Don Nelson, Bruce King, Kevin Kunnert, Steve Krafcisin, Steve Waite, Acie Earl, Brad Lohaus, Greg Stokes, Les Jepsen, Jacob Jaacks, Jared Cole, Adam Woodbury, Gabe Olasani, just to name a few. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone as dominant in an Iowa uniform as Luka Garza.
Stokes' senior year is somewhat comparable to what Garza is doing, but Luka is sustaining a pace that makes even that look like a poor man's version.

There may be something totally innocent about it and I may have missed the story on it. Do you have a link?

I am just speculating that Garza is doing it because he is going to go pro and is trying to build his image. I hope I am wrong because next years team with Bo and Nunge could be one for the ages.

Look at post-game interviews and stories. On this site.

Some fan or fans were getting after Luka and Cordell, including right before Cordell fed him on the basket resulting in the blown kiss.

I'd put Arvydas Sabonis as the best passing big of all time. The dude INVENTED the point center position. The Trailblazers would put him on the block and he'd pass or score. They'd put him at the top of the key and he'd pass or score. Keep in mind that he was drafted in the first round in 1985 but didn't play in the NBA until 1995 when he was 31 years old. (And the standard joke of the time was that Sabonis could qualify for a handicap parking spot due to all the injuries he had sustained over his career in Russia and Europe up to that point.)

Sabonis was a unicorn of his era that's for sure. I just can't agree with him being a better passer than Jokic though. Jokic is posting nearly 3 times as many assists per game for his career. Break it down by 100 possession averages and Jokic is at about twice as many assists per 100 and AST% is about double. Granted, like you said, Sabonis didn't play in the NBA during his prime years but Jokic isn't even 25 yet. :)

Either way, IMO passing is one thing I think Luka will need to improve if he wants a chance to stick at the next level in today's NBA. There just are not many under the rim bigs and the one's that have stuck can pass the ball, which grants them more time on the floor that they otherwise likely wouldn't receive.

Latest posts