GARZA VS KAMINSKY

Luka’s father Frank works with him. Luka watches a lot of old NBA film and picks up posts moves from here and there and then goes and practices them over and over. Kevin McHale, Jack Sikma, among others.
I just hope that a lot of this rubs off on Jack Nunge and Josh Ogundele. Does anyone know if Luka has any younger brothers coming down the pike?

Luka’s father Frank works with him. Luka watches a lot of old NBA film and picks up posts moves from here and there and then goes and practices them over and over. Kevin McHale, Jack Sikma, among others.
I just hope that a lot of this rubs off on Jack Nunge and Josh Ogundele. Does anyone know if Luka has any younger brothers coming down the pike?

Gold already knew that. That post was his way of trolling Fran.

Anyone know what Garza did differently in the offseason? Is it mostly maturation? Did someone on the outside work on his fundamentals? CJ and Luka are way beyond what we expect out of a Fran coached player on fundamentals. Something caused this and likely not from within the program based on history. Fundamentals have been a Fran weakness. Weaker than what you'd expect out of a Big team. Joe I would put in that conversation as well.
That is an interesting question.

Probably doesn't watch many old Iowa tapes of "big man moves." Which is a good thing.

No doubt Luka is more of a bruiser than Frank. He's easily got 10+ lbs on him. Frank's a slighter build and an inch taller. Frank was more of a playmaker while Luka is more of a scorer. Nothing wrong with that one bit. Luka even being named in the same breath of what Frank did as a senior is impressive as hell yet alone possibly posting a better season as a junior. I'm going to enjoy this ride for as long as it lasts.
I can't think of a player who has improved as much as Garza over one year. Hard work, fundamentals, strength and conditioning, leadership, and new opportunities to score and lead...a potent mix.

Yes, it is fun to watch the "New Garza." Heart of a Lion.

As much growth he has shown, Frederick has been even more surprising to me. Perhaps Moss saw the writing on the wall.

I was one of the guys who bought into the hype around CJ to the point where I got ripped on for assuming a freshman was going to be better than a 4th year starter. So needless to say, I expected a lot out of him. I'm still blown away by how good he is. He's probably right behind Wieskamp as far as all around player goes. I would have never though I would say that.

Can you imagine Garza getting the feed down low and next year having Wiesy, CJ and JBo all waiting on the wings for a spot up 3!?
Watch his assists go way up!

Make a decent run in the tournament this year, come back next year with Bohannon and the others, win a Big Ten title and a real deep run in the tournament, he'd be in the running for the Wooden Award and the rest of the baubles. The NCAA and those involved in college basketball would love a 4 year player to be that man. It's a good narrative, and good for college basketball.

Next year; dominate duo down low with Garza and Nunge. With 3 assassins on the perimeter with JBo, CJ, and Wheezy. Need for speed? Bring in Toussaint, need ball control? Bring in CMac. Need some rest for the starters? Uhlis, Perkins, Murray twins, Ogundele, and PMac.
Now this looks like a championship caliber team line-up.

Is the Kaminsky comp, the best comp?

Is it a sure thing that Garza even returns next year?

I thought he would come back but I am suspecting he will not. There are things he is doing that indicate he is trying to build up his image and future stock n the NBA draft. Muscle flexing into the camera and blowing kisses to opponents home crowd. He doesn’t need to do that because his stats and game performances speak for themselves.

I’ve heard some on this board criticizing opposing players for doing that in the past. I’ve never criticized other teams players for doing that but frankly I hope Garza cools it.

Chest bumping, high fiving, putting your fist in the air to celebrate are all fine to do but I’m not sure about blowing a kiss to the opponents fans. Even though those jackwads probably deserve it.

Last edited:
I started wondering how Luka’s stats compared to 2 time All-American Frank Kaminsky. Winner of the Wooden, Rupp, and Naismith awards. I was surprised by what I found!

Kaminsky ( SR. Season, best stats)
54.7 FG%
58.0 2ptFG%
41.6 3ptFG%
78.0 FT%
8.2 RB avg
2.6 Assists avg
0.8. Steals avg
1.5 Blocks avg
1.7 Fouls avg
1.6 TO avg
18.8 PPG avg

Garza (JR. Season, so far)
55.6 FG%
59.6 2ptFG%
35.6 3ptFG%
63.1 FT%
10.4 RB avg
1.1 Assist avg
0.6 Steals avg
1.6 Blocks avg
2.1 Fouls avg
1.5 TO avg
22.3 PPG avg

Could Garza end up being better than Frank Kaminsky? Can Garza lead us to a Final Four? Is Garza a 1st Team All-American deserving of major national awards? Thoughts?

Thanks for sharing! That is really interesting,although I really don't care for the Badger's or their style of play I have always respected the toughness & heart that Kaminsky played with. I think Badger fan's would be surprised if they seen the similarities between Frank & Luka.

rwtsracefan

I was one of the guys who bought into the hype around CJ to the point where I got ripped on for assuming a freshman was going to be better than a 4th year starter. So needless to say, I expected a lot out of him. I'm still blown away by how good he is. He's probably right behind Wieskamp as far as all around player goes. I would have never though I would say that.
What kind of player is Uhlis ? Can he shoot a jump shot ? Does he have more of a game then Joe T?

What was interesting was you just kept hearing more and more positive stuff about the kid. Some people said well Fran hypes everyone, which I don’t blame them for saying that, but the thing is this was coming from so many other sources than Fran. There was a lot of smoke that this kid was pretty good, but as you’ve mentioned he’s been every bit of that and likely more.

I thought he would come back but I am suspecting he will not. There are things he is doing that indicate he is trying to build up his image and future stock n the NBA draft. Muscle flexing into the camera and blowing kisses to opponents home crowd. He doesn’t need to do that because his stats and game performances speak for themselves.

I’ve heard some on this board criticizing opposing players for doing that in the past. I’ve never criticized other teams players for doing that but frankly I hope Garza cools it.

Chest bumping, high fiving, putting your fist in the air to celebrate are all fine to do but I’m not sure about blowing a kiss to the opponents fans. Even though those jackwads probably deserve it.
As much as I love Garza, I too would rather not see that crap. Hopefully he tones it down. But alas, that seems to be the world we now live in. That falls on Fran as well though. Garza is experiencing success like few ever do and he could use some help on how to handle it. I think I'd show my team film of Barry Sanders "celebrating" a TD and explain what humility means. And just let your play shut the fans up and leave it at that. Then in 20 years we can watch a documentary on Garza as he goes in the hall of fame and thanks Fran for the life lesson he taught him when success started going to his head a little bit...

What kind of player is Uhlis ? Can he shoot a jump shot ? Does he have more of a game then Joe T?
Ulis is a taller guard than Joe T and Jbo. Looks all of 6’2. He was developing his outside shot so still a work in progress but his form looks much better than Toussaint’s does. He’s kind of a combo guard where he could play the 1 or 2. Not as athletic or strong as Joe T but still pretty good in terms of overall athleticism.

Minutes might be tough to come by next year for him and Perkins though.

You might want to read the story behind the kiss-blowing.

I wonder if Brook Lopez may be a good player for Garza to pattern his game after. Lopez has good post moves but has added the 3 point shot to his game and plays smart positional defense despite not being a great leaper.

Anyone know what Garza did differently in the offseason? Is it mostly maturation? Did someone on the outside work on his fundamentals?
My question, along with what you asked is, did moving back the 3 point line create more spacing and improve inside play? Or at least how much of an effect is it having?

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. - John Wooden

Latest posts