Garza, Bohannon and the Virus

If this virus is still around next month, we can probably say good bye to Iowa's spring football practice. Also, will Iowa baseball, softball, track and field and other Iowa up coming spring sporting events get cancelled?

If this virus is still around next month, we can probably say good bye to Iowa's spring football practice. Also, will Iowa baseball, softball, track and field and other Iowa up coming spring sporting events get cancelled?

I believe all spring sports in the B1G have been suspended... that includes recruiting, football practice etc.

Bizarrely, Iowa has transitioned to online learning for the 2 weeks after spring break (will likely extend through the semester), but they are keeping residence halls and dining halls open.

Right or wrong, I read that the decision was based on the needs of international students. Guess that makes some sense.

Also, if you are healthy and get it, you aren't gonna get any treatment because there isn't room at the hospital. So you best be in real good shape, and if you get it - your chances of spreading it are high. Look, I think it's a little over cautious too, but I know people with diabetes, my dad is 80 and beaten cancer 3 times, I know people who SMOKE - they are all at higher risk. Just because I will survive doesn't mean I want to see a TON of people I know die. If the sacrifice I have to make is staying home and working from there, jeez... that's total privilege compared to what the WW2 generation had to sacrifice to save the lives of Americans.
The people in WW2 didn't doe to save lives. They died to preserve a way of life. We are all sacrificing a way of life to possibly save some people (and possibly not). You say you can work from home. That's good for you. What about self employed people. If this drags out for too long, I lose my house that my 4 kids live in. If we continue down the road of shitting down the country until this thing runs its course, I don't see a scenario where myself and millions others haven't lost everything.

The people in WW2 didn't doe to save lives. They died to preserve a way of life. We are all sacrificing a way of life to possibly save some people (and possibly not). You say you can work from home. That's good for you. What about self employed people. If this drags out for too long, I lose my house that my 4 kids live in. If we continue down the road of shitting down the country until this thing runs its course, I don't see a scenario where myself and millions others haven't lost everything.
The Panic is the Pandemic.

Meh, this is just postponing the inevitable. We're all gonna get it and 99% of us will survive just fine.

You do realize that if we all get it and 99% survive, that is 3 million dead in the US, right?

You are right that it is inevitable that it will spread, we are not likely to impact HOW MANY people become infected. But if we can significantly slow down the RATE AT WHICH PEOPLE BECOME INFECTED, it will make a huge difference in our healthcare system's ability to deal with it.

I would imagine that for some dorms and dining halls are essential. Probably can't pack up and go home easily and maybe the university doesn't want to leave them high and dry. But eventually I'm not sure what choice they'll have.

I agree. Grinnell forced people off campus, but they are small, and students that needed exemptions could apply for them.

With the size of Iowa, they probably could not logistically handle an exemption process, so they are crossing their fingers and hoping most students stay away.

But at least it's over in a couple weeks instead of a year. At some point you need to weigh the extra loss of lives due to lack of hospital space against being able to live your life and not destroying the economy.

Say we go into another great depression. How many people lose their homes and die on the streets? How many suicides are there? I say screw trying to slow it down. If it was possible to stop it, we would have to try regardless of what it would do to the economy. But this thing isn't stopping. Slowing it down isn't worth the repercussions.

That is a very real ethical dilemma. I don't think anyone can predict the future well enough to make the perfect decision every time. Experts are making decisions based upon best available evidence.

Do you think the NCAA and NBA doesn't have teams of lawyers and insurance advisers that didn't think that thru. Do you think they, billion dollar entities think that it's just not worth trying to slow this down? They aren't DOING this because of some media hype propaganda. This is real. We need to SLOW this down.

I'm not questioning that they're not doing what they think is best. I'm questioning whether I think its best. What about everyone that is getting close to retirement? They're all fucked too. How many more people die if we all get it now compared to of it gets spread out over a year? Is that difference worth what it costs everybody? I say no. I get why others say yes. If this virus killed kids at a 3% rate, I would be singing a different tune. In my mind, the elderly living a handful of years longer isn't worth the cost.

You do realize that if we all get it and 99% survive, that is 3 million dead in the US, right?

You are right that it is inevitable that it will spread, we are not likely to impact HOW MANY people become infected. But if we can significantly slow down the RATE AT WHICH PEOPLE BECOME INFECTED, it will make a huge difference in our healthcare system's ability to deal with it.

The 3 million number isn't relevant if everyone agrees we are all going to get it. It's relevant in a debate on trying to stop it from spreading at all. But in a debate on whether or not we should try to slow it down, the number that is relevant is how many will die due to lack of care from full hospitals that might have lived if we slowed it down. There is no way to accurately predict that number, but it is the number they should try to predict so they can base decisions off of it.

The 3 million number isn't relevant if everyone agrees we are all going to get it. It's relevant in a debate on trying to stop it from spreading at all. But in a debate on whether or not we should try to slow it down, the number that is relevant is how many will die due to lack of care from full hospitals that might have lived if we slowed it down. There is no way to accurately predict that number, but it is the number they should try to predict so they can base decisions off of it.

Of course, but the post I was replying to nonchalantly said we all will get it and 99% will survive. I was just pointing out the absurdity of that being considered a "not so bad" outcome.

I have hear three theories on how this Coronavirus came about in China. One, it has something to do with bats. Theory two is that the Chinese treat their cattle very poorly and it came from that. Three, the town where the virus came from in China, that the Chinese government has a bio weapons location there and some think that the Chinese were messing around with creating a weapon from it and the virus got loose (kind of sounds like a Stephen King book.)

Well Swine Flu is called swine flu because it comes from pigs and there have been the so called Avian flu because they find out it came from birds, fowl etc. It is not a bother to humans until it somehow becomes transmittable to humans.

REmember when they slaughtered all the birds, chickens turkeys whatever in Asia.

Remember Mad Cow, a virus, deer wasting disease maybe. How many more.

The host could be swine, bird,bat, monkey, who knows.

Two types of viruses, Lytic viruses take over the human cells so drastically and create so many more virus so fast it really makes the patient sick while Lysogenic proceeds slower so the virus doesnt kill the host.

• The difference between lysogenic and lytic cycles is that, in lysogenic cycles, the spread of the viral DNA occurs through the usual prokaryotic reproduction, whereas a lytic cycle is more immediate in that it results in many copies of the virus being created very quickly and the cell is destroyed.
Lysogenic cycle - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysogenic_cycle

Young men in great shape still get colds and the flu. Barring some additional medical condition, they'll be just fine.
Mid season flu that went through the Hawks probably cost us games against PSU and Nebby.
We were already too short handed.

Of course, but the post I was replying to nonchalantly said we all will get it and 99% will survive. I was just pointing out the absurdity of that being considered a "not so bad" outcome.

I didn't read it as a "not so bad" outcome. I read it as "the outcome is already decided so we have to move on". It doesn't matter anyways from this point on because the damage to the economy is already past the point of no return. I just think it would have been better for the mass majority to let it run it's course as quickly as possible, then pick up the pieces and move on.

But at least it's over in a couple weeks instead of a year. At some point you need to weigh the extra loss of lives due to lack of hospital space against being able to live your life and not destroying the economy.

Say we go into another great depression. How many people lose their homes and die on the streets? How many suicides are there? I say screw trying to slow it down. If it was possible to stop it, we would have to try regardless of what it would do to the economy. But this thing isn't stopping. Slowing it down isn't worth the repercussions.

This is what state and federal government is for.

Look it up, the personal wealth of the US is about 90 trillion dollars, whooops it was 90 trillion until the stock market crashed. But let's say 80 trillion dollars.

If the economy gets depressed they are talking about economic stimulus measures right now.

And the easiest and best economic stimulus is emergency unemployment insurance at 100% of peoples wages for maybe the 10-15% who might get layed off. Or call it emergency sick leave.

Then raise taxes just enough to cover this insurance cost for hopefully only a couple of months until businesses open up.

THE LAST THING TO DO AND WORST THING TO DO IS GIVE MONEY DIRECTLY TO BUSINESSES BECAUSE WE KNOW THEY WILL HOARD IT.

Give it to working people who are laid off or home caring for sick people or quarantined themselves.

Latest posts