Garza, Bohannon and the Virus

EstronHawkKing

With the BIG Tourney & the NCAA tourney getting cancelled, makes you wonder how this will affect Garza and his decision to come back next year or go pro? I bet J-BO is glad he medical red shirted, his Iowa career would have ended on this. It sucks for Kriener & Evelyn, their Iowa careers are over

ES7F_KwXkAI0iDq

Last edited:
It affects Garza's final stat count too. He likely won't end up the career leader in rebounds now it lowers his margin of error for scoring too.

I don't understand cancelling it altogether. I get "no crowds", but cancelling doesn't make sense to me. They fly charter, rooming-wise no worse, maybe safer than the dorms. Plus they are not really the at risk age group. Seems like panic and overreaction to me.

I don't understand cancelling it altogether. I get "no crowds", but cancelling doesn't make sense to me. They fly charter, rooming-wise no worse, maybe safer than the dorms. Plus they are not really the at risk age group. Seems like panic and overreaction to me.

I agree. No fans makes sense. Playing in an empty arena is damn near the most secluded these kids will be.

They won't be in dorms either. Colleges are sending their kids home. I have a feeling all classrooms will be empty soon.

With the BIG Tourney & maybe the NCAA tourney getting cancelled, makes you wonder how this will affect Garza and his decision to come back next year or go pro? I bet J-BO is glad he medical red shirted, his Iowa career would have ended on this. It sucks for Kriener & Evelyn, their Iowa careers may be over

I would think it would be more likely Garza stays. His stated goal was helping bring Iowa a national championship and it looks like he won't get a chance to make that happen this year (I know it was a long shot anyway-maybe a Sweet 16 would have placated him enough to leave).

I also feel bad for the Iowa wrestlers......undefeated, Big 10 champs, beat all the best teams all year long and may not get a national championship. If the wrestling championships get cancelled, they should give Iowa the trophy. We beat Nebraska, Oklahoma St. Minny, PSU and OSU.

It is about severing nodes of interpersonal contact. Canceling a game doesn't sever that many nodes, but they all add up. Playing the game would not be that big of a deal, just like a person choosing to travel from Iowa City to Cedar Rapids and eat at a restaurant wouldn't be that big of a deal. But public health departments are telling people not to do the latter, which makes it awkward when teams choose to do the former for sports/entertainment reasons.

If you want to make a flip-side argument, maybe having compelling sports available on TV would make people less likely to congregate otherwise?

At the end of the day, you cannot control the behavior of 330 million people in this country. But perhaps if some of these high-profile decisions are made, it is easier for Bob Everyday to make the decision to sever a few nodes in his life.

They won't be in dorms either. Colleges are sending their kids home. I have a feeling all classrooms will be empty soon.

Bizarrely, Iowa has transitioned to online learning for the 2 weeks after spring break (will likely extend through the semester), but they are keeping residence halls and dining halls open.

Really, a player has it but does not know, then transmits it to at least one other player who takes it home to their families etc etc.

Dudes, this is JUST starting. We've seen two countries get ravished by this. The US is being smart about it IMO. I bet Italy and China wished they would have cancelled everything a month ago. We will be too.
I have hear three theories on how this Coronavirus came about in China. One, it has something to do with bats. Theory two is that the Chinese treat their cattle very poorly and it came from that. Three, the town where the virus came from in China, that the Chinese government has a bio weapons location there and some think that the Chinese were messing around with creating a weapon from it and the virus got loose (kind of sounds like a Stephen King book.)

Bizarrely, Iowa has transitioned to online learning for the 2 weeks after spring break (will likely extend through the semester), but they are keeping residence halls and dining halls open.

I would imagine that for some dorms and dining halls are essential. Probably can't pack up and go home easily and maybe the university doesn't want to leave them high and dry. But eventually I'm not sure what choice they'll have.

Right, it's VERY important that we delay the inevitable. If everyone's sick at ONCE that's when shit could get really fucked up. I don't get why that is so hard to understand. The hospitals are ALREADY full \

Also, if you are healthy and get it, you aren't gonna get any treatment because there isn't room at the hospital. So you best be in real good shape, and if you get it - your chances of spreading it are high. Look, I think it's a little over cautious too, but I know people with diabetes, my dad is 80 and beaten cancer 3 times, I know people who SMOKE - they are all at higher risk. Just because I will survive doesn't mean I want to see a TON of people I know die. If the sacrifice I have to make is staying home and working from there, jeez... that's total privilege compared to what the WW2 generation had to sacrifice to save the lives of Americans.

Dudes, this is JUST starting. We've seen two countries get ravished by this. The US is being smart about it IMO. I bet Italy and China wished they would have cancelled everything a month ago. We will be too.

I read that China had to put in some pretty aggressive measures to get control of things. Basically a government mandated quarantine. But who knows want to believe anymore.

Right, it's VERY important that we delay the inevitable. If everyone's sick at ONCE that's when shit could get really fucked up. I don't get why that is so hard to understand. The hospitals are ALREADY full \

But at least it's over in a couple weeks instead of a year. At some point you need to weigh the extra loss of lives due to lack of hospital space against being able to live your life and not destroying the economy.

Say we go into another great depression. How many people lose their homes and die on the streets? How many suicides are there? I say screw trying to slow it down. If it was possible to stop it, we would have to try regardless of what it would do to the economy. But this thing isn't stopping. Slowing it down isn't worth the repercussions.

But at least it's over in a couple weeks instead of a year. At some point you need to weigh the extra loss of lives due to lack of hospital space against being able to live your life and not destroying the economy.

Say we go into another great depression. How many people lose their homes and die on the streets? How many suicides are there? I say screw trying to slow it down. If it was possible to stop it, we would have to try regardless of what it would do to the economy. But this thing isn't stopping. Slowing it down isn't worth the repercussions.

Do you think the NCAA and NBA doesn't have teams of lawyers and insurance advisers that didn't think that thru. Do you think they, billion dollar entities think that it's just not worth trying to slow this down? They aren't DOING this because of some media hype propaganda. This is real. We need to SLOW this down.

Latest posts