Gary Dolphin Will Be Back

RobHowe

Administrator
Feb. 27, 2019 — Hawkeye Sports Properties, the multimedia rights manager for University of Iowa Athletics, today announced it will reinstate play-by-play announcer Gary Dolphin beginning with coverage of football spring practice. Dolphin will also return for the 2019-2020 football and men’s basketball seasons.

The reinstatement decision, like the suspension, was made by Learfield’s Hawkeye Sports Properties, following collaborative engagement with the Iowa Athletics Department. Dolphin has served as “Voice of the Hawkeyes” since 1996.

Dolphin was suspended on Friday through the remainder of the men’s basketball season for an inappropriate comment during the Feb. 19 broadcast of the Iowa men’s basketball game against Maryland.

Dolphin and Iowa Director of Athletics Gary Barta will participate in a 3 pm CT press conference at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 9.01.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 9.01.38 AM.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 4
This isn't over yet lol.
I'm only referring to the fact that he isn't getting fired. I know people don't like his announcing and that he's slipping a little, but I like Dolph.

I think he cares about the Hawkeyes and being a Hawkeye, and I will somewhat shamefully admit I get the feels when it's game day in IC and I hear pregame interviews on the radio, and when they replay his big game calls over the Hawkeye Express PA.

Something about it takes me back to being a kid going to games, before I got jaded and back when Kinnick and the whole game day experience was still larger than life. I want my own kid to feel the same way, maybe that's selfish of me.

Sounds like a guy who got another strike so got a bigger penalty than the last strike. I disagree on whether the strike should have been a strike, but whatever.
tenor.gif

In case there's confusion, I am in no way applauding or giving my support to the U over what they did to Dolph. I think Barta is a slimeball.

My statement about being happy was strictly about him not getting fired.
Oh I understand that. I just felt it needed to be said.

Dophin should walk away like a man. Make a statement. Be a leader. This is how you do it Barta. F you. Go back into your cave.

Press conference should shed some light...since Dolph and Barta will be there.

No it won't. Dolph will come out and apologize for making a (supposedly) insensitive reference, and Barta will say something to the effect of having to do what was done in light of the current sensitivity of the (supposedly) offended masses.

Any question regarding Fran's involvement or issues with Dolph will be brushed aside.

Happy to see this, Dolph deserves it and it's nice to see the public outcry accomplish something good. Did you roll back the time stamp on this thread Rob? I swear it wasn't here when I started the other thread =/

Dophin should walk away like a man. Make a statement. Be a leader. This is how you do it Barta. F you. Go back into your cave.

Obviously it will never happen.....but I'd love for Dolph to use the press conference to tell Barta he can shove his unconscious bias up his ass and that he'll see him in court for defamation of character.

Happy to see this, Dolph deserves it and it's nice to see the public outcry accomplish something good. Did you roll back the time stamp on this thread Rob? I swear it wasn't here when I started the other thread =/

Nope. Posted as soon as I received the email.

Feel bad for Dolph, he has t
No it won't. Dolph will come out and apologize for making a (supposedly) insensitive reference, and Barta will say something to the effect of having to do what was done in light of the current sensitivity of the (supposedly) offended masses.

Any question regarding Fran's involvement or issues with Dolph will be brushed aside.

Yup, they've had a week to prepare all the answers to all the questions that have been posed. Expect well prepared statements that really do nothing to actually answer the questions. I personally hope the media drills Barta on Fran's actions and how they aren't offensive and troubling to many.

Latest posts