Gary Dolphin Poll

Do you like Gary Dolphin as a broadcastor?

• Yes

Votes: 90 60.4%
  • No

Votes: 26 17.4%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 33 22.1%

• Total voters

big10fan

Alright, I know some of you really dislike Dolph, so lets sound off. I've only known Hawkeye football as called by Gary and Eddy, so I've never had a problem with them. But apparently some of you do, so lets hear it.

My wife says they almost never say how much time is left or what the down and distance are, so she'd be a "No", for the record.

To be honest, I usually only listen to Gary on pre-game and post-game interviews and occasionally on the call-in shows. He does okay with those. So I have no problem with him.

My wife says they almost never say how much time is left or what the down and distance are, so she'd be a "No", for the record.

This is my biggest gripe about listening to games on the radio. Same with the score of the game, sometimes you'll jump into the broadcast and wont hear what the score is until someone scores.

If you took Gary and Ed and combined them into one person, imo you get Ron Santo.

Gary makes some great calls at times, like at the end of the 2005 Capital One Bowl. And Ed certainly knows football. Both are Hawkeye homers.

But they really aren't that good at their jobs, which is informing people about the game as its being played. As others have said, you often don't know what's going on. you don't know the score, the down, the distance. Hell, you might not even know who has the ball. And if the running back rushes for 5 yards? They might tell you it was only 2, because they spend a lot of time correcting themselves on their calls.

That may work in a baseball game like it did with Santo, with the leisurely pace and all. Not to mention, Pat Hughes is a great play by play man who just flat out made the absurdity that was Santo's 'analysis' work.

But in football? You need somebody who can tell you what's going on in the game all the time, and who isn't going to screw it up when he does tell you.

Gary does a good job calling game.

He is very poor in the details of the game. ie.. score and time.

Think it was the Idaho BB game. I was on the road tuned in during the 2nd half. I was listening to his play by play for 10 mins or more without him dropping the score once. I got so frustrated, that I finally used my phone to get the score. Doesn't get much worse than that.

I used to like partying with them. (bowl games and tailgate parties) They were both pretty social guys. Still like talking to Ed even though I have not had a drink with him since the pictures.

if youve ever turned the sound down on the tv and turned on the radio you will realize Gary is very inaccurate.

I rem when we played Michigan one year and he continually called Nate Chandler "Navarre.

must of had a nice tailgate that day.

I agree with the one person that said it's hard to understand any of the game and whats going on....but that's not Ed's fault....Ed is the color commentator...the game information is supposed to be coming from the play by play guy. Gary is a great guy with alot of passion for the university....but objectively I don't believe he's a very good play by play guy. imo

if youve ever turned the sound down on the tv and turned on the radio you will realize Gary is very inaccurate.

I rem when we played Michigan one year and he continually called Nate Chandler "Navarre.

must of had a nice tailgate that day.

I would do this more often, but cannot get the picture to sinc up with the TV as the play on TV is behind by like 5 seconds. I like Dolph, but I miss Zabel. Either way, when listening to a game, I would go nuts if not given the field position and time, etc every play or every other play. Listen to Joe Buck sometime. very descriptive.

Dolph is a great guy and wonderful Hawk. He does get caught up in trying to pack too much info into each play (e.g. tackler's weight, age, etc.) and skips the essentials that the radio listener wants - yard line, down and distance, etc. Still, though --- a great Hawk!!!

Seeing as how my opinion is certifiably better than all of yours on this football board, I'll set the record straight... Dolph is a superhero of sports broadcasting. Especially with Eddy P. by his side. Their like Batman and Robin. Except with better hair.

Dolph is terribly inaccurate when he calls the game. I have a game day radio I use when I'm at Kinnick. After a play, it will be obvious to the naked eye that it's 2nd and 5 for example. The scoreboard will also say it, but Gary will say on the radio that it's 2nd and 2 or 2nd and 8.... or offer that the runner gained 3 or 4 yards when they barely got 1 yard.

He doesn't really pay attention to things like that. He also doesn't give the score very often.

He's got a great enthusiasm during the big plays. I love how he ramps it up when the Hawks cut it loose.

He is horrible. No energy and its very hard to follow the action.

Thank goodness, it is very rare I have to listen to radio.

it seems that the dissenters have a common theme about not being a true play-by-play guy. i guess i don't have anyone to compare him to as i don't listen to anyone else. i'll say this though, he seems to be worse with the b-ball than football in the time and score aspect. i've listened for at least 5 minutes sometimes without a time or score update, that can be frustrating.

I grew up with Jim Zabel, so that passion that he had for all things Iowa will be hard for any announcer to come close to in my opinion.

Dolphin is the absolutely worst PbP announcer I've ever heard.

But Dolphin is also a great radio announcer and a huge Hawkeye fan.

If they only hired a real PbP guy and kept Gary to host the pregame, postgame, coaches shows, etc. I would be happy.

Can KOK do PbP?

I listen to him for pre-game and post-game, he does really well there, I give him an A-. But during the games as a play by play he is horrendous. I give him a D-, The only reason its not an F- is his enthusiasm brings it up a grade. I have heard high school announcers that are better, the womens bb announcer is much better. I get so mad at not knowing down, distance, time and score that 9 out of 10 times I try and find the oppoenents radio.

AM/FM and sirius.

I hear the ads where Ronald Reagan used to do sports from ticker tape and would only know the result of the play so he made it up. I think Gary does the same.

Latest posts