Gary Barta comments in the Press Citizen

And throwing a coach under the bus is? You should talk to the Yankees or Raiders. They would welcome your mentality.

First, I said in a previous comment that I understand Barta can't throw Lickliter under the bus. I'm not asking him too. But there is a huge difference between throwing your coach under the bus and being honest about your basketball program.

Second, my question(s) still stands;

When has Lickliter "encourage(d) his team to run?"

When have we adjusted "the system" to fit our talent (i.e. "takes what’s given to him")?

Last edited:
I think with some upperclassmen in this program, coupled with the incoming class, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It's certainly better than the hole we are in now.

You do realize, Spank, that these 'upperclassmen' are the same guys that played this season.

And did so terribly.

Let's be honest with ourselves.

I REALLY want the Hawks to do well. It's pretty logical that we can at least improve next season. Given we are nearing the end of the worst season in the history of the program.

Sorry, but any normal AD would be pulling a piece of paper out to write a list of possible candidates for replacing Lick.

I think with some upperclassmen in this program, coupled with the incoming class, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It's certainly better than the hole we are in now.
Is that what Iowa basketball has become some faint glimpse of light at the end of a tunnel???? Those comments tell it all...

p1.mcguire.si.jpg
He made that comment back in the day when Freshman were Freshman experience wise. Now these kids play top level basketball for at least 3 years before they go to college. NOT TRUE ANYMORE.

Q. A lot of people are questioning whether Todd’s system can be successful or not. Is that fair?

A. “I know that Todd’s system is exciting and fun to watch because I’ve watched it first hand. When I was at Wyoming, his team played in our tournament. So I watched it from that perspective at the time. I’ve seen them on television running a pretty fun and exiting offense. And even in this season. Look at the way we were operating offensively at the beginning of the year compared to what you see glimpses of when we run our offense now because our young players are starting to get a little bit more comfortable with it. So the long answer to your question to tighten down and just say I absolutely believe that our fans will enjoy the type of style of basketball because he takes what’s given to him, what’s available in terms of if it’s there he’ll encourage his team to run. If it’s not, he’ll pull it back.â€

Enjoy!!!
:D
:D

I seriously don't think Gary Barta has watched an Iowa basketball game in the last 3 years..

I want everyone to know that these comments were made on 2-13-2010...Thanks Freddy, didn't see that. Note: It still doesn't change my comment.

Gee Gary ... you watched ONE game a few years back while you were at Wyoming ... Really?! You are basing your support on that one game? So, are the 10,000 fans and dwindling fan base all wrong when they say his style is boring and won't work in the Big 10? My God, this is basketball ... This "system" should not take five years to perfect ...

Unfortunately, that light it a freight train running straight for us.

Latest posts