Gary Barta comments in the Press Citizen

HawkPrdatr40

Q. A lot of people are questioning whether Todd’s system can be successful or not. Is that fair?

A. “I know that Todd’s system is exciting and fun to watch because I’ve watched it first hand. When I was at Wyoming, his team played in our tournament. So I watched it from that perspective at the time. I’ve seen them on television running a pretty fun and exiting offense. And even in this season. Look at the way we were operating offensively at the beginning of the year compared to what you see glimpses of when we run our offense now because our young players are starting to get a little bit more comfortable with it. So the long answer to your question to tighten down and just say I absolutely believe that our fans will enjoy the type of style of basketball because he takes what’s given to him, what’s available in terms of if it’s there he’ll encourage his team to run. If it’s not, he’ll pull it back.”

Enjoy!!!
:D
:D

I seriously don't think Gary Barta has watched an Iowa basketball game in the last 3 years..

I want everyone to know that these comments were made on 2-13-2010...Thanks Freddy, didn't see that. Note: It still doesn't change my comment.

Last edited:
If these comments are true then Gary Barta is either completely incompetent or flat our lying.

I know Barta can't through Lickliter under the bus... but geesh does this make Barta look stupid.

our fans will enjoy the type of style of basketball because he takes what’s given to him...

...if it’s there he’ll encourage his team to run. If it’s not, he’ll pull it back.”

I'd like to hear someone reasonably defend these two statements.

I don't think it can be done.

This is awful and nonsense. Unfortunately Mr. Barta is just covering his tracks. Everyone knows they are keeping Lick and Barta is just using the same old lines Lick has been feeding to fans all year.
Unless we suprisingly see a rash of transfers at season's end, Coach Lick will be back and Barta will be left making outragous comments such as this for another year, or at least 5+ months until football season starts.

Just doing his job, unfortunately. I think he could have used some more creative phrasing and words to describe our offense.

Go Hawks!

Just doing his job, unfortunately. I think he could have used some more creative phrasing and words to describe our offense.

Go Hawks!

I have to disagree. Making false statements to address a questions about struggling system is not doing his job.

Just so we don't take these hilarious comments out of context, here's the article:
Q&A: Barta on basketball | press-citizen.com | Iowa City Press Citizen

My favorite part:

Q. There are fans out there who honestly believe there will be coaching change at the end of the season. What do you have to say to that?

A. “I have absolutely no intention of changing coaches. I have full support in Todd. That’s doesn’t mean I’m excited about where we’re at. So you can’t confuse those two. But Todd doesn’t feel that way, either. We’re going to sit down and we’re going to look at the end of the year and say what went well and what didn’t. And we’ll find plenty to talk about on both ends. And then let’s go get ready. We’ve got this young group. I don’t remember who said it, but the good thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. The good thing about sophomores is they become juniors. So the good thing about our freshmen is they’re going to become sophomores. Combine that with what others are saying is a tremendous recruiting class, and there’s certainly a bright light at the end of the tunnel.

... and that bright light is a fast approaching train. Lay off the Kool-aid, Gary.

I have to disagree. Making false statements to address a questions about struggling system is not doing his job.

And throwing a coach under the bus is? You should talk to the Yankees or Raiders. They would welcome your mentality.

Just so we don't take these hilarious comments out of context, here's the article:
Q&A: Barta on basketball | press-citizen.com | Iowa City Press Citizen

My favorite part:

Q. There are fans out there who honestly believe there will be coaching change at the end of the season. What do you have to say to that?

A. “I have absolutely no intention of changing coaches. I have full support in Todd. That’s doesn’t mean I’m excited about where we’re at. So you can’t confuse those two. But Todd doesn’t feel that way, either. We’re going to sit down and we’re going to look at the end of the year and say what went well and what didn’t. And we’ll find plenty to talk about on both ends. And then let’s go get ready. We’ve got this young group. I don’t remember who said it, but the good thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. The good thing about sophomores is they become juniors. So the good thing about our freshmen is they’re going to become sophomores. Combine that with what others are saying is a tremendous recruiting class, and there’s certainly a bright light at the end of the tunnel.â€

... and that bright light is a fast approaching train. Lay off the Kool-aid, Gary.

I think with some upperclassmen in this program, coupled with the incoming class, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It's certainly better than the hole we are in now.

A. “And even in this season. Look at the way we were operating offensively at the beginning of the year compared to what you see glimpses of when we run our offense now because our young players are starting to get a little bit more comfortable with it.”

I cannot believe I just read that. Yeah, those 40 point performances the last few weeks sure were impressive. Unreal. Its like that Baghdad Bob guy who kept saying that they had the Americans on the run as our planes were flying by overhead..

EDIT: Now I see this article was 2/13. Nevermind! But my comments stand if Barta insists on that this still is true!

I cannot believe I just read that. Yeah, those 40 point performances the last few weeks sure were impressive. Unreal. Its like that Baghdad Bob guy who kept saying that they had the Americans on the run as our planes were flying by overhead..

Remember, though, these statements were made almost a month ago. The games you are mentioning hadn't happened yet.

This interview came off close losses to Illinois and Ohio State, as well as the beating of NW at home. At that point in the season, even the most pessimist fan could see Iowa's offense was looking decent. Admit, at that point, a lot of people were saying, well... Iowa's offense actually looked good tonight. It happened.

That's why Barta comments at the time are sort of out-of-context.

(Bringing up Wyoming, though, is murder).

I don’t remember who said it, but the good thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. The good thing about sophomores is they become juniors. So the good thing about our freshmen is they’re going to become sophomores.

.......and at what school will they become seniors and finish there basketball careers at?

I don’t remember who said it, but the good thing about freshmen is they become sophomores.

p1.mcguire.si.jpg

He had good quotes, and he could bust a move.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTvVo8uOCk0"]YouTube- Al McGuire Big Dancing with The 'Cuse[/ame]

Latest posts