Game thread

If you're counting on those guys to come in and be guys who can go toe to toe with the Greens, Zellers, and Leonards of the conference as fresmen, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

If you're counting on finding another Reggie Evans, you're going to be sorely disappointed. We have enough big guys on the team next year, we need another wing if we do bring in any JUCO.

If you're counting on finding another Reggie Evans, you're going to be sorely disappointed. We have enough big guys on the team next year, we need another wing if we do bring in any JUCO.

I'm not saying we'd find another Evans. But I'm not overly comfortable placing so much on freshmen who aren't one and done-caliber talents.

I meant purely statistics. I realize Matt's stats are inflated because he's been the man on teams with hardly any talent. I'm going to get killed for saying that but it's true. I honestly believe that if Josh equals Matt's career stats, then we won't be back and Fran won't be Josh's coach when he graduates. I hope I am wrong, but that's how I see it.

There's a difference between being good and matching Gatens' stats. As you have said, Gatens had to shoulder a lot more of the scoring duty than he should have. According to Rivals, Iowa has had a grand total of 3 four-star recruits since 2002 and 2 of them are coming in next year. Obviously we are not going to have to lean on Oglesby to be our primary scorer like we did Gatens. That said, I think Oglesby will be a good player and will only get better as he develops.

Having scoring options other than Oglesby is going to be critical to his effectiveness. It should be safe to assume that Marble, White, McCabe and Basabe will improve next year and that alone will inflate Oglesby's shooting factor. Add Woodbury even if he doesn't play 25 plus minutes and dominate and it will help keep all of the other Iowa bigs fresh longer. I don't see Marble playing a lot of PG next year and that should also inflate his statistics. My biggest hope for next season is that Gessell and or Clemmons will be as good as I've heard. They don't have to be game changers but be solid and consistent as much as possible. when Cartwright played well this season Iowa looked like a totally different team. When he was bad, Iowa looked very poor.

Having scoring options other than Oglesby is going to be critical to his effectiveness. It should be safe to assume that Marble, White, McCabe and Basabe will improve next year and that alone will inflate Oglesby's shooting factor. Add Woodbury even if he doesn't play 25 plus minutes and dominate and it will help keep all of the other Iowa bigs fresh longer. I don't see Marble playing a lot of PG next year and that should also inflate his statistics. My biggest hope for next season is that Gessell and or Clemmons will be as good as I've heard. They don't have to be game changers but be solid and consistent as much as possible. when Cartwright played well this season Iowa looked like a totally different team. When he was bad, Iowa looked very poor.

true! the Hawks really need Gesell and Clemmons to contribute right away.

Didn't say they were but they have two guys taller than any of our post players that see time and all three are a good 30 pounds heavier.

Their center broke Iowa spirit early, we had nothing to match his size and it was obvious from the get go and their perimeter quickness took Gatens out of the game.

I didn't mean to criticize your post. But in many respects, width is just as important as height. You can make up for height with width. Izzo prefers space eaters over height.

Look at the "Wide Mound of Rebound" Charles Barkley. He was only about 6'4" but he was a tremendous inside player at Auburn & in the NBA.

If you're counting on those guys to come in and be guys who can go toe to toe with the Greens, Zellers, and Leonards of the conference as fresmen, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Im counting on Woodbury at least to do it a hell of allot better than what we had this year.

I meant purely statistics. I realize Matt's stats are inflated because he's been the man on teams with hardly any talent. I'm going to get killed for saying that but it's true. I honestly believe that if Josh equals Matt's career stats, then we won't be back and Fran won't be Josh's coach when he graduates. I hope I am wrong, but that's how I see it.

Sorry to disagree but Matt would have had even more open looks if we would have had one or two studs inside, put Sullinger on this team and see how many defenders he draws. Matt had an outstanding senior year and did it with class!!

I agree. If Iowa had more options other than Gatens his whole career he would have had far more chances at open looks. Sullinger is a good example to give for this point.

I agree. If Iowa had more options other than Gatens his whole career he would have had far more chances at open looks. Sullinger is a good example to give for this point.

It also works vice-versa. Sullinger's numbers aren't as good this year without Diebler.

Yeah, that's not the point that was being made. We've said that IF (key word is IF) Gatens had someone other than himself... he would have had more chances. Not sure what you think you added to that.

Latest posts