Game thread

Every player better be shooting at least a 1000 free throws a week before next season.

This I agree with. How many important FT's have Marble and White missed? They average around 70% but when the pressure is on, it drops to about 20%.

If you look at the box score we played dead even with Sparty today except in two categories: Overall FG% (MSU came back down to 58% and we were at 44%) and Rebounds (outrebounded by 12). These two combined is a recipe for disaster. We didn't play that bad - we just don't have the horses inside right now to match up defensively. Help is on the way.

The person I responded to was asking for JUCO players. Not transfers. If a shot in the arm is what your asking for, what good does a D1 transfer do us? They have to sit for a year.

Have you even watched ISU this year? They may have had to wait a year, but they definitely got a shot in the arm this year. JUCO guys can do it without the wait. I really don't see what you glitch over this is.

i do believe Haluska went to Iowa State and then transferred to Iowa and didn't Recker transfer as well? Not JUCO players. Evans, yes. We've had one in our history. If there really is someone out there like that, go get him. Let's not sit and hope for it though. We've all heard the poop in one hand and want in the other analogy.

Three of the four best Iowa players I have ever seen were JUCO transfers. Freddie Brown, John Johnson & Sam Williams were all JUCO transfers. Sam Williams is the last Hawk to win the Silver Basketball.

Also, all three have Big Ten championship rings, something Iowa has not done for thirty-three years & counting.

Michigan State is not a very tall team. The starting lineup is 6'10', 6'7' & 6'5" across the frontline. Nix comes off the bench at 6'9". Not a particularly tall team. However, Izzo loves those wide bodies.

Didn't say they were but they have two guys taller than any of our post players that see time and all three are a good 30 pounds heavier.

Their center broke Iowa spirit early, we had nothing to match his size and it was obvious from the get go and their perimeter quickness took Gatens out of the game.

Three of the four best Iowa players I have ever seen were JUCO transfers. Freddie Brown, John Johnson & Sam Williams were all JUCO transfers. Sam Williams is the last Hawk to win the Silver Basketball.

Also, all three have Big Ten championship rings, something Iowa has not done for thirty-three years & counting.

This.

I think he'll surprise you. He'll bulk up in the next few years. He'll be a very good player.

I honestly hope you are right. I would love to eat some crow on that. His only game so far though has been threes and a turn around fall away jumper.

Right. You contradicted yourself when you said shot in the arm and then asked for transfers. Yes if Fran can get Harrison Barnes to transfer I'm all for it. But it is a wait for a year thing. A JUCO player can play immediately yes. And I said if there really is a Reggie Evans out there Fran should go get him. I also said that we shouldn't sit here and hope for it just because it happened once for Iowa. I am very content with what Fran has done recruiting.

If you think Josh is going to come anywhere close to equaling Gaten's performance you will be extremely disappointed.

Gatens performance when? The 5 game stretch at the end of his career when he shot the ball really well or the rest of the 3 3/4 years when he was average?

Ogelsby can be better than Gatens, on offense at least. Hes a better ball handler, has much better vision as a passer and has the ability to knock down shots.

Hopefully he wont ever be more than a third or fourth option on offense, in that role he could do very well, as Gatens could have done very well with some real players around him.

Crap, what happened to Woodbury and Meyer? When did they decommit?

If you're counting on those guys to come in and be guys who can go toe to toe with the Greens, Zellers, and Leonards of the conference as fresmen, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Gatens performance when? The 5 game stretch at the end of his career when he shot the ball really well or the rest of the 3 3/4 years when he was average?

Ogelsby can be better than Gatens, on offense at least. Hes a better ball handler, has much better vision as a passer and has the ability to knock down shots.

Hopefully he wont ever be more than a third or fourth option on offense, in that role he could do very well, as Gatens could have done very well with some real players around him.

disagree, Gatens worked his tail off, MSU is really athletic and great at defending, we have no inside threat so cut him some slack, he will go down as one of my favorite Hawks!

I meant purely statistics. I realize Matt's stats are inflated because he's been the man on teams with hardly any talent. I'm going to get killed for saying that but it's true. I honestly believe that if Josh equals Matt's career stats, then we won't be back and Fran won't be Josh's coach when he graduates. I hope I am wrong, but that's how I see it.

I don't think anyone really thinks that Woodbury and Meyer are going to come in and go toe to toe with the best big men in the conference but it sure would be nice to someone stop at least half of the lob dunks thrown down on Iowa every game when there is a good big man.

Latest posts