Game Story: Keegan Murray Leads Iowa Past Maryland

“I think this game was won by toughness,” Murray said. “I thought we were tough down the stretch. We got the stops we needed.”

“I think we maintained our composure,” McCaffery said.

The Terrapins were within 77-75 with 10 seconds to play after a 3-pointer by Eric Ayala, but three Jordan Bohannon free throws closed the scoring.

One would think that Jordan's free throws didn't matter

I beg to differ

"The thing about him is he never forces anything,” Iowa coach Fran McCaffery said.

This is what amazes me about him. He was 14-21 from the field and 5-6 from 3. He knows he's the go to guy, he knows he's hot, but he doesn't force things. You just don't see this. A lot of times it's 14-31 and 5-16 from 3 for guys to get 35.

“I think this game was won by toughness,” Murray said. “I thought we were tough down the stretch. We got the stops we needed.”

“I think we maintained our composure,” McCaffery said.

The Terrapins were within 77-75 with 10 seconds to play after a 3-pointer by Eric Ayala, but three Jordan Bohannon free throws closed the scoring.

One would think that Jordan's free throws didn't matter

I beg to differ
When JB missed the 2nd free throw I had an OH SHIT moment. I thought for sure they'd come down and drain a 3.

When JB missed the 2nd free throw I had an OH SHIT moment. I thought for sure they'd come down and drain a 3.
We fouled before they could think of a three.

Before we throw too many roses at JBo's feet don't forget that he got faked off his feet and committed a STUPID three shot foul. A sixth year player should know better.

Before we throw too many roses at JBo's feet don't forget that he got faked off his feet and committed a STUPID three shot foul. A sixth year player should know better.
That was the most incredibly bad call I have ever seen. It was an offensive foul on the shooter. JBO was absolutely stationary and the guy jumped forward into him. Off his feet? Get glasses.

Looked like a travel to me, the shooter had to step into the defender. I was surprised the refs gave him 3 shots as his foot clearly had landed inside the arc before the ball had left his hand. But the explanation given by the announcers is if they didn't award him a 3 then it would have been traveling, which is something they can't call on a replay.

Looked like a travel to me, the shooter had to step into the defender. I was surprised the refs gave him 3 shots as his foot clearly had landed inside the arc before the ball had left his hand. But the explanation given by the announcers is if they didn't award him a 3 then it would have been traveling, which is something they can't call on a replay.
He did travel. Fran and his coaches were adamant on that issue.

He did travel. Fran and his coaches were adamant on that issue.
He clearly landed then shot the ball, don't know what the refs were looking at. Plus they couldn't call the travel so they should have waved off the three at the very least.

That was the most incredibly bad call I have ever seen. It was an offensive foul on the shooter. JBO was absolutely stationary and the guy jumped forward into him. Off his feet? Get glasses.
Watch the play again. Before Ayala jumps into him Bohannon gets faked off his feet. You need to check your vision.

Last edited:

Latest posts