Gambrall staying at 197

You know, i dont see it happening but, with Yohn, McIntosh, Powless, Dickenson, Huntley, Gonzalez, and Campalotano theres a realistic chance GG doesn't qualify for nationals at 197.

I guess I always assumed he'd be down to 184 for March but since that is obviously not happening I have real concerns about Iowas chances as a tournament team .

Agreed. The way he looked against OkSt at 197 doesn't bode well and that's not even top 5 competition. I don't like this move at all.

Best of luck to GG. He is going to need it. I honestly don't see him qualifying for Nationals this year unless he makes dramatic improvement.

i would have thought that Coach Brands would have a little more say on whether he stayed at 97 or go back to 84. I find it hard to believe that so many fans can see the fact that he just is not a 97lb'er and the coaching staff is willing to let him stay there. Wrestling is a unique sport in that it is an individual sport as well as a team sport and i would hope that for the team the coaches would make the move to get him back to 84. Maybe in practice he does well and looks good, but the proof is in the pudding and on the mat under the lights, he just doesnt have enough for 97.

A lot of Gambrall's lack of success seems to be from being smaller and weaker than his opponents. Nationals are two months away. One would think he could add a decent amount of muscle, trim some body fat and close that gap quite a bit in that time, especially with the best coaches and facilities in the country. I'm hoping we're seeing the worst of his matches now and he will improve his strength and get better each time out as he gains some muscle and adapts to wrestling in a higher weight class. I like what Gambrall at 197 does for the team next year as well. I see Burak better able to make more of an impact at 184 next year than 197 anyways and think the winner of Burak/Klapprodt/Fahler could score some points and help seal a national championship next year in Des Moines. Next year 197 clears out some of the hulks (but adds back the biggest ie. Kilgore) so I think Gambrall could very well be contending for a title if he has a good off season working to completely fill out into a solid 197.

Scientifically, the average person; working a muscle group once a week strenuously, allowing for proper rest and nutrition; will add one pound of muscle mass to that muscle in one year or roughly 40-50 weeks. Grant is obviously an above average athlete but even with elite genetics he wouldnt be able to add any relevant muscle by the end of February... unless, of course, they get him that stuff that Clay Mathews takes.

We all need to lower our expectations and hope he can qualify for nationals and get the Hawks a few points. I think that's as good as it gets.

since hes been at 197 I haven't seen him fully commit to getting deep on a single shot. he wrestles like hes scared of his opponents size. 149 and hvy just became more viable All-American options than a returning aa.

We are lucky he is wrestling honestly... concussions can and do ruin peoples careers. This time last year basically the same negative stuff said about GG. There are more than 10-15 pics of GG at nationals last year online......and he does not look fat.
Where do you come up with this? whose delusional here? Seriously go to google images type in Grant Gambrall.
GG may not place at nationals but he is healthy enough to wrestle.
Thanks Jon Miller

Unfortunately I think this just makes us weaker at both weights.

There is no thinking involved here. This does make us weaker as a team. He had a good run last year at nationals and there is no way he will repeat his performance this year

We are lucky he is wrestling honestly... concussions can and do ruin peoples careers. This time last year basically the same negative stuff said about GG. There are more than 10-15 pics of GG at nationals last year online......and he does not look fat. Where do you come up with this? whose delusional here? Seriously go to google images type in Grant Gambrall. GG may not place at nationals but he is healthy enough to wrestle. Thanks Jon Miller

compare him to jaybo. everyone rightly said said jay was physically a weak 174, although he did grow into it, but for him it didn't matter. he was a superior mat wrestler and wrestled with great angles on his feet. he also had the ability to out scramble any 174 lber if they did get in on him. gg is an out muscled 197 and creates no angles with his shots. he is a straight on wrestler with no strength who doesn't have great scrambling ability. it doesn't look good.

Agreed. GG at least had a chance a the lightr weightclass. I thought I was watchn "The Santa clause" w Tim Allen when I saw him step on the mat! He's not fat but c'mon! Hes gotta be 1 of Brands sacrificial lambs. Good luck GG! On another note; how bout Ramos taken down #1!? Love Iowa wrestling! FIGHT!

I wonder if hawk recruit Nathan Burak is whispering into big brother Micah's ear to transfer from Penn for his Senior year next year so they can wrestle together and win an team championship together. Micah will likely be ranked in the top 3 next season at 197 and will be competing for the national title. I would think training in the Iowa room would help his chance to be a national champ and he'd get to be a critical member of a team championship. I'm not giving up on Gambrall at 197 next year after a full off season to try to add some muscle but he's not gaining much of my confidence with his showing thus far at 197. I doubt Micah would pass on a chance to get his degree from Penn but maybe he could transfer to Iowa second semester then finish his degree at Penn the following spring. A lot of what ifs in that scenario but heres to wishful thinking.

Latest posts