FYI CJ Beathard again shows he is ready

If I had to sit and think about one attribute that really sets one QB apart from another as far as being successful in the NFL, it comes down to one very important skill that not everyone has. I feel what sets many QB's apart at the NFL level is the ability to throw in windows anticipating the WR's to catch up to the ball in said window.

This is why you can have the strongest armed QB with great footwork, running ability, all the throws, etc.. that may not be successful. They have to be quick with their throws, Yes, but they have to not wait until they see a receiver open like in high school or possibly college. They have to throw to windows and trust the receivers.

If I had to pick one, one of the skills that sets QB's apart at the NFL level, it would be this.
Yup because the windows in the NFL just aren't very big or there for very long at all. Folks have been giving Brady some crap for the year he's had in Tampa (which is nuts he's done great really) but it takes time for QBs and receivers to get some of that timing and trust down. No matter how good and talented they are. The tall long armed guys like Evans can make the margin of error larger but that takes a lot of reps.

Imagine if Brady was 5 yrs younger and in year 3 with this current receiving group he's got. That would be a scary thought for the NFL I would think. I mean Jamous Winston put up crazy yards and stats with em. Brady is more then capable of doing that minus all the interceptions..

They only way they're not drafting Lawrence is if someone offers a king's ransom to move up.

That has happened before. Was it 1999 or 2000 when the QB class included, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, and Daunte Culpepper among others? Someone offered the Bengals a something like eight draft picks to move up to #1. The Bengals passed. It goes a long way toward explaining why they are the Bengals while the Steelers and Ravens benefit. The Bengals wanted Smith, who turned out to be a bust. The team that wanted #1 wasn't even interested in Smith. The Bengals could have made the deal and drafted Smith anyway. Or packaged some of the picks they would have acquired to stay in the top five.

Mike Ditka, during his brief time with the Saints, famously traded his entire draft to move up to #1 and select Rickey Williams. At least he had a couple good years before deciding cannibas was more important than football.

Even though I am not nearly as high on Lawrence as the media, I don't think there is any way the Jags don't draft Lawrence.

Just wishful thinking. CJ will just have to come in and bail out TL when he struggles or gets hurt, just like at SF.

Well that sucks ass.

He’s not going to have too many more chances at a spot after Jacksonville.
Yeah I dunno. He's getting a cool 5 mill for 2 yrs to be there anyway. No state taxes in FL makes that significantly better then had he signed for the same anywhere in Cali or NY. I'd guess 2 mil is guaranteed or so.

It tells me something that they chose to sign him instead of Alex Smith. I figured Meyer woulda been his best shot at signing anywhere. I doubt anybody roles the dice on him now.

Heck if Lawrence struggles early maybe CJ will get to play some. Always just a snap away as the #2 guy. I'm happy for CJ though that's a nice chunk of change. I think he's pretty self aware that he's not going to be a top flight starter in the league. Best he can hope for is to be a career backup. Maybe get to play here and there like Fitzpatrick has and turn it into something more. We'll see but he's gonna be alright happy for the dude.

Yeah I dunno. He's getting a cool 5 mill for 2 yrs to be there anyway. No state taxes in FL makes that significantly better then had he signed for the same anywhere in Cali or NY. I'd guess 2 mil is guaranteed or so.

It tells me something that they chose to sign him instead of Alex Smith. I figured Meyer woulda been his best shot at signing anywhere. I doubt anybody roles the dice on him now.

Heck if Lawrence struggles early maybe CJ will get to play some. Always just a snap away as the #2 guy. I'm happy for CJ though that's a nice chunk of change. I think he's pretty self aware that he's not going to be a top flight starter in the league. Best he can hope for is to be a career backup. Maybe get to play here and there like Fitzpatrick has and turn it into something more. We'll see but he's gonna be alright happy for the dude.
Oh I'm definitely happy for him. 2015 Maryland was my kid's first game in person, bought 1st row seats at the north 30 which is right behind the QB bench. CJ fist bumped him a couple times as he was going under the headphones between drives and gave him a high five after King's pick six when he went to grab his helmet. Coolest thing ever for a 10 year old. Beathard has always been his favorite Hawkeye since and I'm sure he always will be.

I was speaking just as a fan who wanted to see him go somewhere and have a good chance at starting outta the gate.

Oh I'm definitely happy for him. 2015 Maryland was my kid's first game in person, bought 1st row seats at the north 30 which is right behind the QB bench. CJ fist bumped him a couple times as he was going under the headphones between drives and gave him a high five after King's pick six when he went to grab his helmet. Coolest thing ever for a 10 year old. Beathard has always been his favorite Hawkeye since and I'm sure he always will be.

I was speaking just as a fan who wanted to see him go somewhere and have a good chance at starting outta the gate.
Yeah wish that was a possibility too. I can think of a few places Chicago before they'd signed Dalton (I still think they are doing something else too in draft/trade) Washington before they'd signed Fitzpatrick. I don't think there's many places he really coulda went to have a legit shot at starting day 1 really.

Going to where they'll have a rookie starting day 1 (everyone knows they are taking Lawrence) at least puts him in a situation where there's a chance the guy struggles early and he may get put in. It's a matter of how much does he struggle and how long of a rope does Meyer give him to play through the growing pains. I bet we'll see CJ play some this year. Which to me is better then had he went to backup say Mahomes in KC or Rodgers in GB and guys like that.

Yeah wish that was a possibility too. I can think of a few places Chicago before they'd signed Dalton (I still think they are doing something else too in draft/trade) Washington before they'd signed Fitzpatrick. I don't think there's many places he really coulda went to have a legit shot at starting day 1 really.

Going to where they'll have a rookie starting day 1 (everyone knows they are taking Lawrence) at least puts him in a situation where there's a chance the guy struggles early and he may get put in. It's a matter of how much does he struggle and how long of a rope does Meyer give him to play through the growing pains. I bet we'll see CJ play some this year. Which to me is better then had he went to backup say Mahomes in KC or Rodgers in GB and guys like that.
Preseason I'll definitely be watching.

Interesting move by Urban Meyer...gets a guy that has experience. I think CJ has gotten a bit of a bad rap due to the early SF days. That teams OL was terrible and to throw him in there (they had no choice) and feed him to the wolves was unfortunate.

He did better at the end of last year...beating the Cardinals when they needed a win...but he struggled against Seattle...a playoff team. He hasn't yet shown the consistency at the pro level and the ability to make plays off schedule like he did in college. Against Seattle he missed some wide open receivers that was odd...he should have made those plays.

That being said...Meyer knows what he's doing. He's got a guy with arm talent. He's got a guy with the ability to make plays with his legs. He's also got a guy with a great team attitude...the players at SF loved him.

Even though I am not nearly as high on Lawrence as the media, I don't think there is any way the Jags don't draft Lawrence.

Just wishful thinking. CJ will just have to come in and bail out TL when he struggles or gets hurt, just like at SF.

Lawrence is really talented, but the NFL jump is as much on the team as it is the player. Most teams that slide into the number 1 pick do so in no small part because their o-line stinks.

I saw both Lawrence and CJ play in person in college. Lawrence has an unreal arm in terms of just absolutely dropping the rock on a dime on fly patterns and skinny posts. It's a thing of beauty. One area where he remains untested is the window. CJ could clearly hit the window and by having Iowa's mediocre WR corps he could show it off. The game where I saw Lawrence play there was no one within 3 yards of his targeted receiver. That makes it hard for me to gauge his NFL skillset because you have to hit windows and playing with elite receivers stunts the development of some of these college guys. You've seen it with pretty much everyone out of Bama and guys like Jameis Winston and Jonathan Football from A&M. I think if you gave Lawrence a year on the pine and put him in the right system he would be amazing at the NFL level, but if he gets thrown to the wolves immediately on a shit team, the potential for him to be a bust is moderately high.

Preseason I'll definitely be watching.
Just for fun I looked up the Jags roster. They signed Marvin Jones and have DJ Schark for WRs. They aren't bad. Also have Phillip Dorsett, and a Shenault from Colorado that caught 58 balls his rookie yr with 5 TDs. They also have a 2nd yr player from TX Collin Johnson that's 6'6 222 lbs. Never heard of him but he's huge obviously. I don't recognize any of their TEs though and no RBs to speak of so I imagine they'll use draft to upgrade there maybe...

They signed Carlos Hyde too I missed that. Played for Meyer at OSU. So they have a few skill guys to work with. But their Oline sucks balls so till they upgrade that how much they can improve will be limited.

Last edited:
Lawrence is really talented, but the NFL jump is as much on the team as it is the player. Most teams that slide into the number 1 pick do so in no small part because their o-line stinks.

I saw both Lawrence and CJ play in person in college. Lawrence has an unreal arm in terms of just absolutely dropping the rock on a dime on fly patterns and skinny posts. It's a thing of beauty. One area where he remains untested is the window. CJ could clearly hit the window and by having Iowa's mediocre WR corps he could show it off. The game where I saw Lawrence play there was no one within 3 yards of his targeted receiver. That makes it hard for me to gauge his NFL skillset because you have to hit windows and playing with elite receivers stunts the development of some of these college guys. You've seen it with pretty much everyone out of Bama and guys like Jameis Winston and Jonathan Football from A&M. I think if you gave Lawrence a year on the pine and put him in the right system he would be amazing at the NFL level, but if he gets thrown to the wolves immediately on a shit team, the potential for him to be a bust is moderately high.
There's no denying his talent. Just difficult to assess how quickly he processes things as well as fitting throws in tight windows as you said. There were a lot of scripted passes, screen passes as well as plays were the first read is open by a lot, so no need to go trough progressions. Also, very hard to assess him when he and his teammates are NFL prospects going against teams with 2-3 prospects at best other than 2-3 games a year.

There's no denying his talent. Just difficult to assess how quickly he processes things as well as fitting throws in tight windows as you said. There were a lot of scripted passes, screen passes as well as plays were the first read is open by a lot, so no need to go trough progressions. Also, very hard to assess him when he and his teammates are NFL prospects going against teams with 2-3 prospects at best other than 2-3 games a year.

I drew some heat from some Clemson dude by saying I think there is a chance Lawrence peaked during the National Title game against Bama a few years ago. He's only played in two games where his line was overmatched and he got destroyed in both of them. I think he can make reads, but the challenge will be whether he can make reads where he has to make a really good call on whether the third guy is open when he's not 5 yards behind the defense. I really think if he got on the right team and benched for a year there's a better than 50% chance he would be a generational talent, but he ain't gonna pull the Aaron Rodgers and slide to the 20s and get parked behind a legend to learn for a few years.

This smells like a signing for a camp arm, if they draft Lawrence they probably don’t keep him. However, dude got an NFL paycheck for a few years and has not been hit much, he can do anything he wants in life.

Nice story. I have no time for arrogant pro athletes who do not give back or even college players like that who are given a very good scholarship but aren't there for the fans especially the kids.

And I knew what you were saying that it would be nice if CJ, if traded, went to a team with a real good OLine and decent running game AND a chance for a deep playoff run. It would be nice to see him have an extended starting string of games to see what he has in the long run.

And also good to hear he has about 2 Mil guaranteed because you can get cut very easily out from under your so called contract. With the money he has already made and banked I imagine, as his grampa and dad etc have certainly told him how fleeting the NFL checks can be, that he and his wife and family can have a very nice comfortable life just on good investments. He can write music, paint, whatever he likes.

So yes, good for him.

Nice story. I have no time for arrogant pro athletes who do not give back or even college players like that who are given a very good scholarship but aren't there for the fans especially the kids.

And I knew what you were saying that it would be nice if CJ, if traded, went to a team with a real good OLine and decent running game AND a chance for a deep playoff run. It would be nice to see him have an extended starting string of games to see what he has in the long run.

And also good to hear he has about 2 Mil guaranteed because you can get cut very easily out from under your so called contract. With the money he has already made and banked I imagine, as his grampa and dad etc have certainly told him how fleeting the NFL checks can be, that he and his wife and family can have a very nice comfortable life just on good investments. He can write music, paint, whatever he likes.

So yes, good for him.
Excellent post.

Just for fun I looked up the Jags roster. They signed Marvin Jones and have DJ Schark for WRs. They aren't bad. Also have Phillip Dorsett, and a Shenault from Colorado that caught 58 balls his rookie yr with 5 TDs. They also have a 2nd yr player from TX Collin Johnson that's 6'6 222 lbs. Never heard of him but he's huge obviously. I don't recognize any of their TEs though and no RBs to speak of so I imagine they'll use draft to upgrade there maybe...

They signed Carlos Hyde too I missed that. Played for Meyer at OSU. So they have a few skill guys to work with. But their Oline sucks balls so till they upgrade that how much they can improve will be limited.
They have a stud RB in James Robinson. He was a rookie last year. And he was a stud