Future Recruiting targets

nickhawk

My opinion on the next round of recruiting targets:

Priority 1: Point Guard - I think Fran will bank his remaining scholly and do what he can to lock up Gessell for next year's class.

Priority 2: Another Quality Big Man - Lock up Adam Woodbury - His signing as a Hawk would go a long way to signify that the best players in the State of Iowa will no longer be lured away by other schools coached by Roy Williams.

Priority 3: Difference maker athlete - Get Jok convinced that he can be a star at Iowa - I know this kids health has been spotty, but from everything I hear, he is a legit top 25 player in his class and getting this kid would be BIG for the program.

Priority 1: Point Guard - I think Fran will bank his remaining scholly and do what he can to lock up Gessell for next year's class.

Priority 2: Another Quality Big Man - Lock up Adam Woodbury - His signing as a Hawk would go a long way to signify that the best players in the State of Iowa will no longer be lured away by other schools coached by Roy Williams.

Priority 3: Difference maker athlete - Get Jok convinced that he can be a star at Iowa - I know this kids health has been spotty, but from everything I hear, he is a legit top 25 player in his class and getting this kid would be BIG for the program.

:) wouldnt it be nice

Last edited:
1. PG: Get Gesell and a good combo guard like Hornbeak out of TX.

2. The quality big man, if Woodbury waits around too long, Prince Ibeh out of TX is a perfect fit.

3. Jok is a must and is ranked as one of the best in his class now; Akoy Agau is a name that Iowa needs to lock up. 6-9 SF/PF prospect who is athletic and has some range.

Is uncle roy even looking at Woodbury?

One recruit just narrowed his list to four, and the Hawkeyes are on his list. Let's see if you guys can "hunt" 'er track this kid down. :)

Is uncle roy even looking at Woodbury?

Do not believe so. He has been offered by some good programs, but does not appear he has seen any offers from the likes of Kansas, Duke, UNC, UCLA etc.

Jok, assuming his knee's are okay, is probably the next big time kid.

RJ Hunter, according to Twitter- don't know much about him.

RT @KyleNeddenriep: Pike wing R.J. Hunter (2012) has narrowed his list to four schools: Georgia State, Iowa, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest.

Agree for the most part.
Would like to see Fran still grab a juco pg this spring...I think he will.
Then get Gesell,Woodbury and a top wing,like Hunter,to go along with Meyer.
Then get Jok,Agau,and another pg.

And then...just win,baby!

Woodbury is a nice player, and you can't teach size but it seems like he isn't progressing and other big men in the 2012 class are starting to emerge and pass him up. Not saying that he still wouldn't be a good pick-up, but both Olaseni and Meyer are 6'10, run better, are more athletic and have more bounce than Woodbury. Right now I'd say that Gessel (point guard) and Hunter or Gaines (shooting guards) may have passed Woody up on the priority list.

Woodbury is a nice player, and you can't teach size but it seems like he isn't progressing and other big men in the 2012 class are starting to emerge and pass him up. Not saying that he still wouldn't be a good pick-up, but both Olaseni and Meyer are 6'10, run better, are more athletic and have more bounce than Woodbury. Right now I'd say that Gessel (point guard) and Hunter or Gaines (shooting guards) may have passed Woody up on the priority list.

Have you seen him play recently?
What are you basing this assessment on?

I have never seen the kid play, so I am just passing along second-hand information, but I've heard Woodbury is very passive on the court. As a 7-footer he should plant himself in the paint and dominate high school ball, but he simply does not.

Getting Woodbury won't prove anything unless he has offers from the big boys. That sounds worse than I intended.

Last edited:
Getting Woodbury won't prove anything unless he has offers from the big boys. That sounds worse than I intended.

Getting Woodbury is important in that his family have been Hawk fans forever. I think if the State of Iowa has a 7' 1" kid who's family lkes Iowa...I think we ought to get him.

Getting Woodbury is important in that his family have been Hawk fans forever. I think if the State of Iowa has a 7' 1" kid who's family lkes Iowa...I think we ought to get him.

Whether or not he or his family likes Iowa is a distant second to whether or not the kid can play in the big ten and make the team better. Nobody cares about the sentimental stories when there are 5K in CHA and we are finishing last in the big ten. We have a coaching staff that is recruiting nationally, so in state talent has to measure up to better competition to earn scholarships. If he wants to be a Hawk, then I would expect him to sign early. If not, then McCaffrey will move on to other kids who want to be here and I support that 100%.

Whether or not he or his family likes Iowa is a distant second to whether or not the kid can play in the big ten and make the team better. Nobody cares about the sentimental stories when there are 5K in CHA and we are finishing last in the big ten. We have a coaching staff that is recruiting nationally, so in state talent has to measure up to better competition to earn scholarships. If he wants to be a Hawk, then I would expect him to sign early. If not, then McCaffrey will move on to other kids who want to be here and I support that 100%.

:eek: damn straight

Hell ya!

Latest posts