Future Recruiting targets

Woodbury was ranked #65 in Scout's updated Top 100 that was released today, but I suppose all you armchair recruiting analysts will say they don't have any idea what they are talking about.

Woodbury was ranked #65 in Scout's updated Top 100 that was released today, but I suppose all you armchair recruiting analysts will say they don't have any idea what they are talking about.

People aren't saying that he isn't good enough. People want him at Iowa if he IS good enough, not because he's a tall Iowan.

Name me all the great D1 talent the state of Iowa has produced in the last 5 years. Just because a kid is 7'1 and from Iowa doesn't mean he is a "must get" for the Hawks. I heard the same BS about Cougill, Gatens, May, McCabe, etc. ,yet two unknowns (Cartwright and Basabe) resurrected hope in Iowa hoops. Spare me the drivel about what Rivals rates kids. If you are 6"10+ and can walk you are a 3 star top 100 recruit.

If he wants to be a Hawk, then man up and sign up. I am sick of Iowa being the door mat for in state kids and even more sick of in state homer fans thinking we need to load up on 3-4 Iowa kids every year. If Olaseni, White and Hubbard haven't tipped you off, then there is no hope.

Come on, hawkIhoops.

If someone doesn't commit before the end of their junior year you are sick of their games? Just because they are a basketball player doesn't mean they know where they want to go to college before the start of their senior year.

Give it a rest. Now the kid is almost labeled as a jerk by you because he hasn't decided to go to Iowa by now. What a bunch of hypocrites people are if this is what they think. I guarantee you would advise your child to make the RIGHT decision about where to go to school and to take their time to do it.

In case you can't tell, this kind of commentary really annoys me. I don't disagree with finding talent elsewhare and augmenting it with the best Iowa kids. I have advocated that for a long time. I just have a problem with people dogging a kid because he hasn't decided where to go to college before his senior year has even started.

Re: Come on, hawkIhoops.

If someone doesn't commit before the end of their junior year you are sick of their games? Just because they are a basketball player doesn't mean they know where they want to go to college before the start of their senior year.

Give it a rest. Now the kid is almost labeled as a jerk by you because he hasn't decided to go to Iowa by now. What a bunch of hypocrites people are if this is what they think. I guarantee you would advise your child to make the RIGHT decision about where to go to school and to take their time to do it.

In case you can't tell, this kind of commentary really annoys me. I don't disagree with finding talent elsewhare and augmenting it with the best Iowa kids. I have advocated that for a long time. I just have a problem with people dogging a kid because he hasn't decided where to go to college before his senior year has even started.

Agree.

I completely disagree, my son is 8 and would give Iowa a verbal right now if they asked him today. You're either a Hawkeye or you're not....

Name me all the great D1 talent the state of Iowa has produced in the last 5 years. Just because a kid is 7'1 and from Iowa doesn't mean he is a "must get" for the Hawks. I heard the same BS about Cougill, Gatens, May, McCabe, etc. ,yet two unknowns (Cartwright and Basabe) resurrected hope in Iowa hoops. Spare me the drivel about what Rivals rates kids. If you are 6"10+ and can walk you are a 3 star top 100 recruit.

If he wants to be a Hawk, then man up and sign up. I am sick of Iowa being the door mat for in state kids and even more sick of in state homer fans thinking we need to load up on 3-4 Iowa kids every year. If Olaseni, White and Hubbard haven't tipped you off, then there is no hope.

I can assure you NO ONE considered May a "must get." May was a fairly controversial recruit in that most thought he picked the wrong sport at Iowa.

Okay, AaronHawkeye44.

Well, I was a third generation Hawkeye graduate in my family. Just because YOU don't know if he has decided doesn't mean HE doesn't know. And he doesn't OWE anyone anything in terms of telling them even if he has already made his decision. If Iowa sucked like they did under Lick and Woodbury was good enough to play for UNC, I wouldn't blame him for going. I also am simply willing to give him the benefit of making his own decision even though things look better now than they did under Lick.

I guess I am not a hypocrite who can't let a teenager enjoy the recruiting process until he decides to announce where he wants to go to school. The guys that commit late in the game and stay four years are just as much Hawkeyes as the ones that commit early and stay four years.

Some of you people need to back off and get a life, I guess.

1) Please don't act like you are the message board police and tell me or anyone else what to do. This is forum for opinion-s agree or disagree is up to you.

2) Where did I dog Woodbury in my post or label him a jerk? I said man up and sign up if he wants to be a Hawk.

3) Woodbury is entitled to do what he to do wants BUT if HE WANTS TO BE A HAWK, then he should sign early or the ship will / should sail. I agree he and his family should be able to make their choice, but the perception of Iowa as 80% lean ground beef has to stop.

I'm still trying to find out where anyone "dogged" Woodbury in this thread.

I've seen Woodbury play a few times. Not enough probably to form an opinion on what kind of college player he will be. But what I believe is that he is in no way a "must get". And by that I mean the kind of recruit that will cause this board to meltdown if he signs somewhere else. I will be pumped if he commits. But if we hit our other targets we are after I will be just as excited.

Whether you want to admit it or not, there is a segment of our fan base(and posters) who want to see Iowa sign the top Iowa high school players every year. I don't subscribe to that philosophy. I just want the best players that fit Caff's system. They are all Iowans once they get to campus anyway.

Roy Williams has had no competion from UI/ISU for a long time. That has to stop! Everyone knew UI/ISU had no chance for Barnes but some of the others? Hopefully the new coaches at UI/ISU will be able to keep the cream of the crop in Iowa to stay in Iowa!!!!!

Roy Williams has had no competion from UI/ISU for a long time. That has to stop! Everyone knew UI/ISU had no chance for Barnes but some of the others? Hopefully the new coaches at UI/ISU will be able to keep the cream of the crop in Iowa to stay in Iowa!!!!!

When we go shopping we need to look at the "National" crop.... That would include the Iowa kids along with everyone else. I don't want us to spend the entire day staring at the Iowa shelf while a lot of out of state talent slips away...

I completely disagree, my son is 8 and would give Iowa a verbal right now if they asked him today. You're either a Hawkeye or you're not....

Your narrow-minded approach is disturbing. My children are Hawkeye fans, and both want to attend the U of I. If either had an opportunity to go to a school they truly believed to be better for their future, I would not only encourage it, I would be disappointed if they didn't.

Your narrow-minded approach is disturbing. My children are Hawkeye fans, and both want to attend the U of I. If either had an opportunity to go to a school they truly believed to be better for their future, I would not only encourage it, I would be disappointed if they didn't.

Interesting that my approach is narrow minded???? I believe I simply stated that my son would jump at the opportunity to go to Iowa since he is a die hard Hawkeye fan and dreams of going to Iowa. Please copy and paste where I mentioned anything about forcing him to go to Iowa, or said that I would discourage him from considering other options. I believe your reading comprehension is "narrow-minded" and could use a tune up.

Guys this isn't the NBA that we are talking about here. It's a college basketball team and nothing more than entertainment. You would think that you have thousands of dollars riding on the success of the Iowa basketball team. I enjoy following the team because I have been doing it since I was 14 years old (some 36 years ago). There have been some great moments in that time span and there have been some tough years also. In the end it's just entertainment and not something to get all bent out of shape over. I think some of the fans take it more serious than the players and coaches. Relax, it's not life or death and in fact in the realm of life in reality it really falls short of any importance compared to family, friends, neighbors, the economy, religion, political issues, Etc. Relax enjoy what comes our way. Enjoy the forum posters and their opinions but don't take a comment here or there as a life or death issue or as a personal attack on ones character. Very few on here probably even know who you are talking to. Could be a seven year old or a ninety year old. One thing that is pretty common for the most part is that we are here to enjoy Iowa athletics and to hope for the best and to cheer them on. I for one am very excited to see what Fran can do this next season as I see great potential with what we already have as a team.

It is funny to see fan reaction to situations and the Woodbury one is very amusing. He has had an offer from Iowa forever and he hasn't said yes...on the flip side he hasn't said no either. If people really believe he is stringing Iowa along looking for a better offer, they are simply crazy.
Fact of the matter is this, it doesn't matter who a kid or his family root for...look at the TE that went to ISU when his whole flippin family went to Iowa. When it comes down to it, kids are looking for what puts them in the best situation.
This is why I will not be surprised to see Iowa miss out on every good Iowa kid from 2012, it will not make me change my opinion of Fran or Iowa basketball for a couple of reasons. 1) Iowa is now recruiting everywhere and 2) whoever says "yes" first is who will be in an Iowa uniform. It does not appear that Fran and staff will hold out on a scholarship for anyone, if a kid has an offer and doesn't say "yes" there is always another kid that can be recruited. That attitude is simply why I do like where Iowa basketball is headed.
Fran and staff may offer 80 kids and over half of them we don't know about, but holding on the hope that a player is going to say yes and not recruiting anyone else cannot be afforded in the Big Ten. There are always other kids out there and with Fran's track record, there is a lot of hope that he can spot talent and move forward. Preparation can overcome some short comings, the Iowa basketball team learned how to prepare this season, which is why they competed the way they did even though the record overall wasn't great.
In looking at the kids for the 2012 class out there that Iowa has offers too, there are only two really knowns: Gesell and Woodbury...we don't know a lot about the rest. Maybe that is best because when it comes down to it, no matter what our experiences are in the game of basketball, the staff knows a heck of a lot more about what they are doing than we do. When they target a player, they know exactly why and what this player can give them long before any of us. It is amusing to see the extreme opinoins on everyone of our recruits in the past two classes. If Iowa were getting players that had mid-major grades, I would worry, but they aren't and I am not worrying about who ends up in a Hawkeye uniform. We all have players we want to see Iowa lock down and get, but no matter who signs the LOI, they are a Hawkeye and I will cheer my tail off to see them do well.

Latest posts