Future of non-playoff bowls

They have lost relevance and attendance are at an all-time low, but people are still watching.

Rose Bowl: 10.187 million viewers
Sugar Bowl: 9.135 million viewers
Orange Bowl: 8.590 million viewers
Gator Bowl: 5.766 million viewers
Cheez-it Bowl: 5.395 million viewers
Alamo Bowl: 4.778 million viewers
Cotton Bowl: 4.165 million viewers
Holiday Bowl: 3.969 million viewers
Liberty Bowl: 3.914 million viewers
Music City: 2.966 million viewers

ESPN and everyone else are desperate for content, plus the only "lock" in TV ad revenue right now is sports, so these bowl games aren't going away anytime soon.
Interesting. It drops off quite a bit after the Orange bowl though. You combine 2 sets of fan bases for each game of those other bowls and you'd think they could get that many no matter what that seems low almost to me. But I have nothing to base that on.

Howe and Dochterman talked on their latest podcast how the non-playoff bowls are struggling for relevance, and how they will play more towards looking ahead to the next year as opposed to culminating the current season. With that in mind, what if instead of scattering these bowls throughout the holiday season, they moved them to the spring? Instead of spring games, programs that earned bowl-eligibility get to travel someplace warm and play a different team to wrap up their spring practices. Crazy?

I think in spring program kind of take it slowly to gain experience and practice. I'm not sure they would be willing to go all in, in a bowl game and risk injury.

Then, spending all those resources to see crappy play doesn't do it, and for the sponsors.

I think they should do neutral site games within driving distance of both opponents. OR regional "events", multiple games in one city.
For example, St Louis or Indianapolis could have multiple games out of local bowl eligible teams. Iowa vs Kentucky and Kansas vs Arkansas, add in a Toledo and Memphis. That could have be a good regional event.

I think they should do neutral site games within driving distance of both opponents. OR regional "events", multiple games in one city.
For example, St Louis or Indianapolis could have multiple games out of local bowl eligible teams. Iowa vs Kentucky and Kansas vs Arkansas, add in a Toledo and Memphis. That could have be a good regional event.
So funnel all the $$$$$ to one city/region. Not gunna happen.

Everything needs to convert to the playoffs.......games can be still be played at bowl sites (especially the NY6 bowls)....and the bowl sites can sponsor that particular game.

I think eventually it is going to go this way......but not before they drain every drop out of the old bowl system for money purposes.

Latest posts