Future of non-playoff bowls

CP87

Howe and Dochterman talked on their latest podcast how the non-playoff bowls are struggling for relevance, and how they will play more towards looking ahead to the next year as opposed to culminating the current season. With that in mind, what if instead of scattering these bowls throughout the holiday season, they moved them to the spring? Instead of spring games, programs that earned bowl-eligibility get to travel someplace warm and play a different team to wrap up their spring practices. Crazy?

Howe and Dochterman talked on their latest podcast how the non-playoff bowls are struggling for relevance, and how they will play more towards looking ahead to the next year as opposed to culminating the current season. With that in mind, what if instead of scattering these bowls throughout the holiday season, they moved them to the spring? Instead of spring games, programs that earned bowl-eligibility get to travel someplace warm and play a different team to wrap up their spring practices. Crazy?
Just let them die. RIP

With the playoffs getting expanded those lower bowls will be all but toast I would think. I mean maybe they'll be some but I don't suspect they'll be 20 some odd lower ones anymore. I don't see where the $ will come from. TV ratings were probably low this yr and attendance obviously has been. Once the new playoff format has been done a couple yrs it'll be interesting to see how it goes

The bowls would consider paying the players before they would move to the Spring.

With the playoffs getting expanded those lower bowls will be all but toast I would think. I mean maybe they'll be some but I don't suspect they'll be 20 some odd lower ones anymore. I don't see where the $ will come from. TV ratings were probably low this yr and attendance obviously has been. Once the new playoff format has been done a couple yrs it'll be interesting to see how it goes

They have lost relevance and attendance are at an all-time low, but people are still watching.

Rose Bowl: 10.187 million viewers
Sugar Bowl: 9.135 million viewers
Orange Bowl: 8.590 million viewers
Gator Bowl: 5.766 million viewers
Cheez-it Bowl: 5.395 million viewers
Alamo Bowl: 4.778 million viewers
Cotton Bowl: 4.165 million viewers
Holiday Bowl: 3.969 million viewers
Liberty Bowl: 3.914 million viewers
Music City: 2.966 million viewers

ESPN and everyone else are desperate for content, plus the only "lock" in TV ad revenue right now is sports, so these bowl games aren't going away anytime soon.

They have lost relevance and attendance are at an all-time low, but people are still watching.

ESPN and everyone else are desperate for content, plus the only "lock" in TV ad revenue right now is sports, so these bowl games aren't going away anytime soon.

Once the 12 team playoff starts the remaining bowl games are going to fizzle out.

I think we are refusing to think outside the box. On a scale of 1 to 10, how excited were you for the Music City bowl? I would have put myself at about a 4.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how excited would you have been for the same game in April? I am at least a 6 for that.

I think we are refusing to think outside the box. On a scale of 1 to 10, how excited were you for the Music City bowl? I would have put myself at about a 4.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how excited would you have been for the same game in April? I am at least a 6 for that.

People that care about college football live in the Midwest and the South, you don't want to give them options by playing games in the Spring. College football will lose in that scenario.

People that care about college football live in the Midwest and the South, you don't want to give them options by playing games in the Spring. College football will lose in that scenario.

Options, as in other things to do? What if they line the bowl games up with Spring Break?

Regardless of what we predict, some bowl games will die a natural death, or not. So far we don’t have much to go on, as the so called meaningless bowls just keep plugging away. I for one am enjoying the minor drama.

I think it depends on when expanded playoffs start each season. If they take off 3 weeks like now, there will be lots of TV spots open for bowls. If they start earlier, then maybe a few bowls still happen between Christmas and New Years Day.

Either way I'm guessing total bowl games drop by 1/2 or 2/3.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how excited would you have been for the same game in April? I am at least a 6 for
Yeah, I don't know. When is the NFL draft? Some players will want to be getting ready for it. Of course, there are some players holding out of bowl games anyway.

Not so fast please re: total bowl demise
(And nobody holds more disdain for the current oversaturation of bowls than me)

The NIT is alive and well despite the NCAA's multiple expansions.
TV will still promote the hell out of the minor bowls.

FB fans have an insatiable appetite for lights/cameras/action.

How many bowl games "mattered" back when the polls decided the NC? 2 to 4 maybe? People that like to watch CFB and their teams will watch. I don't know why it is different now with a playoff. We have always had bowl games that didn't matter.

Yeah, I don't know. When is the NFL draft? Some players will want to be getting ready for it. Of course, there are some players holding out of bowl games anyway.

But it wouldn't be for graduating players, but rather for the next year's guys. Heck, you could even incorporate the early-enrollees. A big part of the impetus is that many seniors and early-enrollees are not participating anyway, so let's make it a look ahead. Get those portal transfers, early-enrollees, redshirt freshman involved.

How many bowl games "mattered" back when the polls decided the NC? 2 to 4 maybe? People that like to watch CFB and their teams will watch. I don't know why it is different now with a playoff. We have always had bowl games that didn't matter.

But the big difference is the number of opt-outs these days, as well as the athletes that are in portal-transition during the bowl period.

Treat them like free to play video games. All the tickets should be free and split 50/50 between the schools to give out as they see fit. Make these games fan appreciation events. But Barta in a dunk tank full of piss, I’d pay $20 for 3 shots at that.

Even preseason NFL games make money because networks LOVE live content so the bowls aren’t going anywhere.

Latest posts