Fuller still not heard from?

in the Gazette chat tonight one of the guys caught up with him today but he didnt want to talk it sounded like

If Fuller stays and the players really by into Fran's offense and they show a ton of improvement, how devastating will that be to Lickliter? Talent is there, and the new recruits add more next year. If nobody leaves and Iowa really improves and looks good doing it, what happens to Lickliters coaching cred?

Running up and down the floor, pressing will so some ability that some think this team is really missing. They already played a lot of minutes every game. Just seeing them have fun will more games. They showed some signs of that last year but not enough. The last couple weeks of the season really seemed to suck what fun they were having this year away and they shut it down. Effort was there, just seemed worn out.

I loved reading the player comments and how Fran talked about them being hungry. I don't know how many more wins that will bring,but if they have fun and don't win many games right away doesn't matter. Fun is what it's about and it brings winning along sooner more often than not.

Tom Kakert said on a post on his free board that Fuller has declined comment so far. That is troublesome. Tom also said that Larson isn't going to talk until he hears from the coach. But Fran said he called each of the recruits already. So I'm confused by that statement. Not really worried about him, but I hope Fuller comes out with his support in the next couple of days.

HawkeyeReport.com - Message Boards

Coach said that he made contact with two of the current recruits, one he talked directly to the other he only talked to a parent. So, there are two guys out there that haven't been contacted. Plus, these guys have a lot more hanging on this hire than we do as fans. Let it sink in, let them learn a lot about Fran. If he does the same "recruiting" of these guys as he did to this fan base over the last 12 hours, we'll have the guys we need.

It would suck if Fuller was gone. He would seem like one if the guys who would most benefit by a change in style. However, with McCabe and May it might be the position Iowa could stand losing most.

Tom Kakert said on a post on his free board that Fuller has declined comment so far. That is troublesome. Tom also said that Larson isn't going to talk until he hears from the coach. But Fran said he called each of the recruits already. So I'm confused by that statement. Not really worried about him, but I hope Fuller comes out with his support in the next couple of days.

HawkeyeReport.com - Message Boards

Larson could be meaning that when he talks to the coach in person.

Some of these guys will just need time and those that ask questions of them should give them their space.

Coach Lickliter was someone these guys saw everyday and won't anymore, it is only natural that some are not happy about the turn of events.

Fuller is a key guy in any hopes for quick improvement. Fran must re-recruit him with all his skills. If we lose him, that would be an early red flag...not quite on the level of the Tyler Smith departure,but still a big blow to Iowa bb.

Fuller is a key guy in any hopes for quick improvement. Fran must re-recruit him with all his skills. If we lose him, that would be an early red flag...not quite on the level of the Tyler Smith departure,but still a big blow to Iowa bb.

I agree, if Fuller leaves than we are in trouble next year. Declining comment doesn't sound good. I do think that Fuller would really benefit from the change of style.

I wouldn't call it a "red flag" It would tell me though that Fuller probably had his mind made up about leaving before the coaching change.

You know. I don't know if I agree. Tyler Smith was definitely better. But, at least he had extenuating circumstances.

This would just look plain bad. In fact, it might be the most disheartening departure in recent history, just because it wouldn't be as easily explained away.

Tyler and Jake - extenuating circumstances. Tony - bad style fit. Palmer and Davis - wrong level. Tucker - ... Peterson - well okay, hard to explain this one away - but I think most people would be more concerned about Fuller leaving than JPete.

You really would have a hard time comprehending...

You know. I don't know if I agree. Tyler Smith was definitely better. But, at least he had extenuating circumstances.

This would just look plain bad. In fact, it might be the most disheartening departure in recent history, just because it wouldn't be as easily explained away.

Tyler and Jake - extenuating circumstances. Tony - bad style fit. Palmer and Davis - wrong level. Tucker - ... Peterson - well okay, hard to explain this one away - but I think most people would be more concerned about Fuller leaving than JPete.

Fuller leaving? It's a new coach. That in and of itself is a big reason. I would disagree on how bad/good this would be for McCaffery. It would be bad from the standpoint of losing one of our most talented players. But it would pale in comparison to the Peterson, Kelly and to a lesser extent Freeman transfers had on the Lickliter program. Those guys all decided to stay (or in Peterson's case, come to Iowa). After time in Lickliter's program, they couldn't wait to get out. Peterson was facing two years of starting and playing 30+ minutes a game and said "no thanks." Same for Kelly. Yes, Kelly's mother died, but he played for a whole year at Iowa after she died and before going to Indiana State. How many transfers do you see of guys who are getting major minutes at a power conference school leave for middling Mo Valley teams? You just don't. Yet Iowa had it happen twice.
I don't hold Smith against Lickliter, due to the coaching change. If he was considering leaving even while Alford was there (I believe he was), then a coaching change provided the natural out.

My hunch with Fuller is that he was 99% sure he was leaving if Lickliter was here, probably had even determined where he was going, or had narrowed it down to a couple of schools. Then Iowa gets a new coach, and now he's re-assessing what's going on. If McCaffery convinces a guy from the West Coast--who had already made up his mind to leave--to buy in and stay for two more years here, then he will have shown some serious recruiting chops right away.

I know the Gaten's family was taking a beating by some on this board, but it sounds as if they are working very hard to sway Fuller to stay. Plus, I think some owe them an apology as it appears they were far from the only people who wanted Lick out and it now seems plausible it was related to Fuller leaving and wanting the best for the Iowa basketball program.

One of McCaffery's first goals was to talk to the current players.

He will have some patching up to do in order to get them back together as a team.

If Fuller stays and the players really by into Fran's offense and they show a ton of improvement, how devastating will that be to Lickliter? Talent is there, and the new recruits add more next year. If nobody leaves and Iowa really improves and looks good doing it, what happens to Lickliters coaching cred?

Running up and down the floor, pressing will so some ability that some think this team is really missing. They already played a lot of minutes every game. Just seeing them have fun will more games. They showed some signs of that last year but not enough. The last couple weeks of the season really seemed to suck what fun they were having this year away and they shut it down. Effort was there, just seemed worn out.

I loved reading the player comments and how Fran talked about them being hungry. I don't know how many more wins that will bring,but if they have fun and don't win many games right away doesn't matter. Fun is what it's about and it brings winning along sooner more often than not.

That's funny because all everyone had said when Lick was coach, was "We don't have the players". Now, all of a sudden we have a new coach and we have the talent?????

To be honest, I think Lick's style actually WON us more games this last year than lost, given our roster.

That's funny because all everyone had said when Lick was coach, was "We don't have the players". Now, all of a sudden we have a new coach and we have the talent?????

To be honest, I think Lick's style actually WON us more games this last year than lost, given our roster.

You do realize, though, that is hardly a ringing endorsement of the former coach?

Latest posts