Frustrating...

Hawkfnntn

The frustrating part of that game to me was it looked like we should have had a chance to beat them. But objectively they are the better team. Between the free throw/foul discrepancy and how we just got cold as all get out for a long stretch while they got hot we just weren't going to beat them. What was it a 24-2 run or something like that? There's no overcoming a stretch like that at any point in a game. They turned it over a lot in the first half it seemed like and once they settled down and stopped doing that we were going to have a fight on our hands.
It's too bad. To have the lead at half and it look like we could take it to them at times we just couldn't keep them from getting good looks. Or knock in 3s of our own. We played well in the paint Cook and Garza kept us in it but if JBo, Moss and JW are goin to all struggle we just can't overcome that against a good team like that.

They didn't need the refs help but they did get it. No surprise there I guess. That's par for the course for Izzo. It's almost a good thing it wasn't close at the end because that would have been the headline if so...

I thought the Hawks played well. Exceptionally well in the first half.

My two biggest frustrations were:

1- In the first half, MSU was turning the ball over like crazy. We should've been able to take advantage, but it didn't seem to lead to many points.

2- Guards can't penetrate. Same ol' same ol'...

Iowa weakness continues to shine and that’s how weak our Backcourt is. Same o same o!!

Jbo simply outmatched and outclassed.

I thought the Hawks played well. Exceptionally well in the first half.

My two biggest frustrations were:

1- In the first half, MSU was turning the ball over like crazy. We should've been able to take advantage, but it didn't seem to lead to many points.

2- Guards can't penetrate. Same ol' same ol'...
Yeah it felt like we should have been up double digits at half easy...
I felt like our guards and JW just weren't hitting shots either. They missed some shots that were all going in the other day. Sometimes it's just that simple. 4 for 20 won't ever cut it from your 3 back court starters

JBo 1-7
Moss 1-7
JW 2-6

Last edited:
Iowa weakness continues to shine and that’s how weak our Backcourt is. Same o same o!!

Jbo simply outmatched and outclassed.

This is such a tired narrative. C Winston is an AA candidate. He’s better than almost every opposing pg. Iowa played well in all facets of last night’s game except making shots they usually make. JBo drills those 3s he usually makes and Iowa may have won that game. Then what is JBo?

Look at the box score. We can go on and on about Winston shooting, but Michigan State had 31 defensive rebounds to our 14.

20 FTs to our 8.

Turn half of the defensive rebounds we should have had into baskets, and penetrate the ball to get 10 more free throws (still WAY under our average), and Iowa wins the game. Winston or no Winston.

This is such a tired narrative. C Winston is an AA candidate. He’s better than almost every opposing pg. Iowa played well in all facets of last night’s game except making shots they usually make. JBo drills those 3s he used to make last year and Iowa may have won that game. Then what is JBo?
Fixed that for you. Bohannon is .376 from 3 this year and .341 from 2!!

Of our starters he's the worst % shooter by a loooong ways. In fact, he's the worst 2PT shooter on the entire team. We're 20 games into the season for god's sake, this isn't just a slump anymore. Maybe not shooting from 27' would help the odds.

The only "tired narrative" here is trying to convince people what a great shooter Bohannon is and how he's Larry Bird from 3. Stats don't lie.

IHBB.jpg

Last edited:
Fixed that for you. Bohannon is .376 from 3 this year and .341 from 2!!

Of our starters he's the worst % shooter by a loooong ways. In fact, he's the worst 2PT shooter on the entire team. We're 20 games into the season for god's sake, this isn't just a slump anymore. Maybe not shooting from 27' would help the odds.

The only "tired narrative" here is trying to convince people what a great shooter Bohannon is and how he's Larry Bird from 3. Stats don't lie.

IHBB.jpg

To be fair, he really had gotten off to a rough start this year but seemed to be rounding into shooting form....until last night.

The guy is a minus defender, so he needs to make the threes. .
Not only is he a minus defender, when you throw up bricks from way downtown the odds are much more in favor of a defensive rebound and fast break (which we don't defend well at all). That translates into negative points. It's hurting the score more than just shooting at a low percentage.

he just can't get it done inside the line that hasn't changed.
He doesn't even try to shoot it from inside the line.

I fully understand that Bohannon and Winston aren't even comparable skill-wise. But look at these 2018/19 shot charts. Bohannon does nothing but shoot threes. He doesn't even make an attempt at anything other than home runs, and teams know that. They defend him that way, and it works.
IHBB2.jpg

Look at the box score. We can go on and on about Winston shooting, but Michigan State had 31 defensive rebounds to our 14.

20 FTs to our 8.

Turn half of the defensive rebounds we should have had into baskets, and penetrate the ball to get 10 more free throws (still WAY under our average), and Iowa wins the game. Winston or no Winston.

You make it sound so simple and easy. o_O

I'm convinced something is off with JBo. The team wasn't good the two prior years, but he was absolute nails from 3. He's a career .362 2pt% shooter, he just can't get it done inside the line that hasn't changed. The guy is a minus defender, so he needs to make the threes. He's shooting about 1 fewer three per game than last year and has 2 less assists per game than last year, and the team is better on offense. It just doesn't make any sense.
Trading out JW for Ahmad Wagner has a little to do with that. And of course CM. I bet JBos mins are down a little from last yr. Combining all that pretty much attributes to JBos stats tailing off. His shooting not being so good is frustrating though

This is such a tired narrative. C Winston is an AA candidate. He’s better than almost every opposing pg. Iowa played well in all facets of last night’s game except making shots they usually make. JBo drills those 3s he usually makes and Iowa may have won that game. Then what is JBo?

If it's a tired narrative, it's only because it continues to be true year after year after year.

What else can be said? Fran needs to recruit a real PG. Seems I've heard that somewhere before.

The frustrating part of that game to me was it looked like we should have had a chance to beat them. But objectively they are the better team. Between the free throw/foul discrepancy and how we just got cold as all get out for a long stretch while they got hot we just weren't going to beat them. What was it a 24-2 run or something like that? There's no overcoming a stretch like that at any point in a game. They turned it over a lot in the first half it seemed like and once they settled down and stopped doing that we were going to have a fight on our hands.
It's too bad. To have the lead at half and it look like we could take it to them at times we just couldn't keep them from getting good looks. Or knock in 3s of our own. We played well in the paint Cook and Garza kept us in it but if JBo, Moss and JW are goin to all struggle we just can't overcome that against a good team like that.

They didn't need the refs help but they did get it. No surprise there I guess. That's par for the course for Izzo. It's almost a good thing it wasn't close at the end because that would have been the headline if so...

We all know where are weakness is and it reared it’s ugly head one third of the way through the second half. We could guard or stop the opposing position while our players couldn’t get open shots or hit shots when tour players were open.

They gave a valiant effort in the first half. This game just shows what the difference is between a top three B1G conference team looks like and what mid-tier (us) conference team looks like. We just need to bounce back and get another win streak going and get into the NCAA tournament. Like someone said on another thread I can see us winning the first round in the NCAA but winning the next round and getting to the sweet 16 would be about the best we could possible expect with the weakness that has haunted Fran in recruiting at one particular position. We all know what that position is, unless you have been living under a rock, but it is what it is and we can only support and cheer these kids on and hope for the best. It’s not a lack of effort, it’s just that speed (quickness) kills, or a lack of it in our case.

You make it sound so simple and easy. o_O
Not easy, but I was making assumptions based on performing at about 50 percent of what the Hawks normally do in those two categories. I don't think wishing for 50% of average performance against a really good team is unrealistic.

They're definitely way better, so maybe our prior performances are overstated. Hmm...

We all know where are weakness is and it reared it’s ugly head one third of the way through the second half. We could guard or stop the opposing position while our players couldn’t get open shots or hit shots when tour players were open.

They gave a valiant effort in the first half. This game just shows what the difference is between a top three B1G conference team looks like and what mid-tier (us) conference team looks like. We just need to bounce back and get another win streak going and get into the NCAA tournament. Like someone said on another thread I can see us winning the first round in the NCAA but winning the next round and getting to the sweet 16 would be about the best we could possible expect with the weakness that has haunted Fran in recruiting at one particular position. We all know what that position is, unless you have been living under a rock, but it is what it is and we can only support and cheer these kids on and hope for the best. It’s not a lack of effort, it’s just that speed (quickness) kills, or a lack of it in our case.
Yeah the sky isn't falling. For the most part that game just kind of affirmed where we are at. We aren't a top tier team we just aren't there. But we are a long ways from stinking too. We can provide mismatches for whole lot of teams out there. We just have to rebound better and hit more of our open looks when we get em.

A narrative that is TRUE!!

C Kingsbury was also an AA candidate. The other one. Was it Iowa State or Northern Iowa that had the banner in the student section saying that Kingsbury's blood alcohol content was equal to his grade point average.

I was wondering as I watched all those 3's rain in through the nets in the previous game if we would want just 5 of them for the MSU game. Five made threes would have had the hawks close in the last 4 minutes to make a game of it.

As it was they got down by 15 then nearly 20 and the hawks were hanging their heads because they just knew they couldnt make any shots. You get down that much and you have to shoot quick in the shot clock and there isnt great rebounding position. Miss the shot and then MSU off to the races. A circular problem

Latest posts