From Rivals: "May and Gatens Like the New System"

I think the title is misleading. I thought it was a nice read and it didnt just say "the new system is fast and me like fast things".

Interesting read. True - going uptempo doesn't automatically guarantee more wins, but I really did feel that the players were being held back by the slow style of play the past few years, and didn't have the freedom to make use of their abilities. I'm excited to see the guys in a new uptempo style.

Anything, I mean ANYTHING has to be better than the meat grinder pace we "played" the past 3 seasons.

Going hard to the basket should mean more rim-rattling dunks for May, who got accustomed to high-wire acts as a prep at Dubuque Wahlert. The new coaching staff has encouraged the 6-5 sophomore-to-be to finish with authority. May plans to oblige both coaches and fans with plenty of highlight reel slams.

So thats all you took away from the article?

Generally the title sums up the article and in this case I dont think it did.

I think he was just getting rid of the "the system".

We sort of tired hearing about Licky Lick's "System" the past 3 years.

"However, the question outside of the Iowa locker room will continue to center around whether a group of players recruited into Lickliter's system can play an up-tempo game. Francis knows that it will take time, but he believes the current roster can handle the switch."

Iowa has no choice but to switch to the new style this year with the current players. No way could Iowa afford to run a similar system until the players moved on. Fran is doing the correct thing in this scenerio by making the players adjust to his system, even though many are not a natural fit, opposed to playing the old style the players were recruited for until he filtered in his own scholly players.

The players, regardless of their attributes, will play more fresh & prepared with a purpose. And of top of that, ticket sales will improve.

You can tell in the qoutes from Gatens his dismay for Lickliter & his system. He seems to be refreshed, indeed!

One thing I did take from some of the excellent Siena posters about Fran is he is adaptable. While I think pace of play will be quicker next year than last year it won't be Caff long term goal. The Siena posters pointed out that McCaff in his first year there relied on a post presence more to run the offense through. Over the next few years he recruited more athletic players and played a more up and down style.

It will be interesting to see how they play. Can our bigs handle an up and down style? Can Cully, May and Gatens? I don't know.

One thing I do hope they utilize more is the outlet. Cougill could be good at that. The outlet equalizes the quickness of guards and may allow Cully and Gatens to get better looks in transition with May and Basabe filling the lane.

After reading the article, and thinking about the comments by May & Gatens....I don't recall getting the passion for the game vibe from them or others in the last couple years during press conferences, articles, etc. Love to see the players with the same enthusiasm for this system and coach as we on the Nation are!

Latest posts