Friday night's Main Event Live from Icy Iowa City: Michigan vs Iowa Game Thread

The non conference schedule helped. I was ready to start a thread about it.

The neutral games and away games we played in November and December prepared us for the rigors of this conference. It could very well also end up (finally) getting us off the seven to nine seed line in the dance.

Maybe we can avoid that one or two seed in the second round. Or knock them out anyway, like Wisconsin did to Villanova a few years ago.
I can’t wait for Wednesday. I’ve watched Rutgers this year . They are no slouch . They are really athletic and talented .

I can’t wait for Wednesday. I’ve watched Rutgers this year . They are no slouch . They are really athletic and talented .
They should make the dance this year. They are nails in the RAC and no slouch on the road either.

We played against Piekell in the NIT when we made the run to the Garden. He was the coach for StonyBrook.

A representative showing in the conference tournament, like getting to Saturday for a change, will also help us with tournament seeding

CJ is my favorite player on the team. I love him and his game. I know most people are in love with Luka and Joe and I love those dudes too, but CJ’s my guy. He’s so good. Another gem Fran was in on early and locked up that he caught some flak for bringing in. Turns out Fran knows a thing or 2 about coaching and recruiting guards. It’s hard not to look at next year with all the injuries, but I’m just having a blast watching the team this year. This could potentially be Fran’s best team. None of us saw that coming, they are completely rewriting the narrative around our program. It’s been fun to watch.

I think there was a lot of criticism of his recruitment because “Kentucky is a bunch of small schools and he has not faced good competition.” This was even after he was, I think, the player of the year in his state as a senior? Guess he is going to be OK.

They should make the dance this year. They are nails in the RAC and no slouch on the road either.

We played against Piekell in the NIT when we made the run to the Garden. He was the coach for StonyBrook.

A representative showing in the conference tournament, like getting to Saturday for a change, will also help us with tournament seeding
If we can just stay away from this Addidas balls lol

If only we'd had CJ at Nebraska.
And for the 2nd half against Penn State. We could very well be tied for the conference lead right now and potentially be the best team. We could still maybe be the best team (that's crazy to say) but we probably aren't 2 games better than Michigan State, which we would need to be. Maybe we can put a '15 and beat them at their place.

Howard couldn't wait to get off the floor and out of Carver

Nightmare for him tonight

F that Punk and his gang of wannabe thugs

Haha! Juwan Howard is one of the true decent dudes out there among pro athletes/coaches, past or present. He has numerous charities focusing on helping underprivileged kids that he's been actively involved in since he was in college.

Haha! Juwan Howard is one of the true decent dudes out there among pro athletes/coaches, past or present. He has numerous charities focusing on helping underprivileged kids that he's been actively involved in since he was in college.

Howard is definitely a good person

However, his teams play with a thuglike demeanor

Zero doubt on that one

Michigan was expecting us to fold like a cheap suit when they went up seven. You could see it in their mannerisms and body language.

You know, like Iowa teams in the past have done?

This isn't Iowa teams in the past. Fran's 22-49 record in close games from 2010-18 is well documented. But this is not one of those teams.

In addition to our resilience and cold blooded execution, what cost Michigan the game was their faith in our past history. They expected us to choke it again.

They were the ones quick shooting, firing air balls, turning it over, not attacking the offensive glass, settling for one and done, and not getting critical stops the last five minutes.

We were the exact opposite. How sweet it is. By the time the word gets around we are going to win several more games like this, because B1G teams are aware of Iowa's past reputation. Book it!

Absolutely correct on every point

This is, I do believe, the best team we have had since Mr. Davis's first year, and perhaps better than the following 2 years. These guys are indeed special and have an Attitude that very few Hawk teams have ever had

Coach Calhoun would label them Junkyard Dawgs not unlike the team from 3 years ago

It's All Good

:cool:

Absolutely correct on every point

This is, I do believe, the best team we have had since Mr. Davis's first year, and perhaps better than the following 2 years. These guys are indeed special and have an Attitude that very few Hawk teams have ever had

Coach Calhoun would label them Junkyard Dawgs not unlike the team from 3 years ago

It's All Good

:cool:
Yes, and for all the heart Mr. Davis's teams showed they still did some of the dumbest things in close games you could imagine.

Jess Settles, who was the epitome of heart, was also the epitome of careless turnovers at the worst times, untimely fouls, ill advised shots, etc.

You probably have to go back to Lute to find a team that combines heart with grit and savvy like this this one does, unless you count one of the Horner/Brunner teams.

I said it in Garza's freshman year. The more physical it is the better he likes it.

If he can keep shooting free throws like that team aren't going to be able to hack the crap out of him either. He will be near unstoppable!

Remember when Haas smashed him in the face at Carver his freshman year, knocked him to the floor with a broken nose, blood all over the place. Looked like the aftermath of a vicious massacre

Luka went to the locker room and was back on the floor within minutes

Couldn't keep him out of the game

He the WarriorBeast

Michigan was expecting us to fold like a cheap suit when they went up seven. You could see it in their mannerisms and body language.

You know, like Iowa teams in the past have done?

This isn't Iowa teams in the past. Fran's 22-49 record in close games from 2010-18 is well documented. But this is not one of those teams.

In addition to our resilience and cold blooded execution, what cost Michigan the game was their faith in our past history. They expected us to choke it again.

They were the ones quick shooting, firing air balls, turning it over, not attacking the offensive glass, settling for one and done, and not getting critical stops the last five minutes.

We were the exact opposite. How sweet it is. By the time the word gets around we are going to win several more games like this, because B1G teams are aware of Iowa's past reputation. Book it!

18-10-11_Set_2_M_SLD_GIF_v1_BLAZER.gif

Joe T and CJ have put a couple of more guys with some attitude on the floor and I don’t mean attitude as in Vagner smug ass attitude who was being a very public smug ass and CJ was giving some of it back in a less public chirping.

Last word is always the best word, ya little euro smug ass.
CJ was just pointing out how the bombing of Dresden worked out for the Germans

Yep. How many times have we seen quality teams desperate for a road win to save their season and it just so happens that the next game is in Iowa City ... and they get cured.

Not

This

Time
Yes, how many times in the Davis era did it seem like equal or lesser teams would use Iowa as their feel good game to get their season rolling or save their season? Minnesota and Northwestern come to mind.

Yo! We are Rockin Now. What's EASY? Hard Defense and Hard Rebounding. They are always just round corner no?

The Lads play Hard and Tough and never say die

One of the most enjoyable seasons ever for Hawkeye Basketball

Ralph Miller's team with Downtown Freddy Brown and John Johnson

Lute Olsen"s team with Ronnie Lester that went to the Final Four

Tom Davis's First Year with BJ, Roy, Eddie and Sir Jamelot

Now these Guys

Alright Alright Alright

CJ is my favorite player on the team. I love him and his game. I know most people are in love with Luka and Joe and I love those dudes too, but CJ’s my guy. He’s so good. Another gem Fran was in on early and locked up that he caught some flak for bringing in. Turns out Fran knows a thing or 2 about coaching and recruiting guards. It’s hard not to look at next year with all the injuries, but I’m just having a blast watching the team this year. This could potentially be Fran’s best team. None of us saw that coming, they are completely rewriting the narrative around our program. It’s been fun to watch.

+ CJ was willing to walk-on at Iowa opposed to accepting a full ride from another D1 school. Tells you a lot about both, Fran & CJ's character. I am proud to be Iowa fan when Fran recruits players like this.

The Lads play Hard and Tough and never say die

One of the most enjoyable seasons ever for Hawkeye Basketball

Ralph Miller's team with Downtown Freddy Brown and John Johnson

Lute Olsen"s team with Ronnie Lester that went to the Final Four

Tom Davis's First Year with BJ, Roy, Eddie and Sir Jamelot

Now these Guys

Alright Alright Alright
Yes Game First no? Go Hawks!