Friday night's Main Event Live from Icy Iowa City: Michigan vs Iowa Game Thread

I’m just glad this team is tough as nails . Definitely tougher then all the fans crying like a bunch of women about the refs . Jesus Christ it’s big ten basketball . You get some calls or you don’t get some calls . The players know to just keep playing through it
Yes but players were talking to refs tonight more than once — and they were not named Pemsl.

Michigan was complaining that the refs called it “consistently” instead of swallowing their whistles.

It’s going to be like that when the plan was to hack-a-Hawk.

And Bardo needs to use his brain when talking about foul discrepancy spread and nearly identical points in the paint — Michigan spreads it more and has guards/slashers beat their man to the basket = less fouls

Iowa pounds it inside = more fouls
Iowa does pound it inside and Michigan fouled Garza enough to foul out a small army, only 20% were called. Michigan settled for free throw line extended jump shots by their Bigs who didn't try to establish low-post position, or drives like you stated. Bardo was trying to stir up controversy like he was trying to stir up drama with 30 seconds to go. I thought that was a stupid point to make for someone who watched the game as well. Michigan was on a mission to hack-a-Garza after the half, but alas Garza can make free throws.

If I recall correctly CJ missed his first three shot attempts from the floor. Which means he finished the game 6/6 including 3/3 from 3 and 6/6 free throws for 20 points.

I don’t think it can be understated how efficient of a shooter/scorer he is. He could be a legitimate 50/40/90 guy at this level (he won’t get to 90% free throws this year because he’s missed a few that were likely just adjusting to this level similar to Wieskamp last year).

But the thing is he’s so much more than a shooter. He can set up others, move without the ball, and finish around the hoop. His defense is pretty good as well. Kid is a stud
CJ is my favorite player on the team. I love him and his game. I know most people are in love with Luka and Joe and I love those dudes too, but CJ’s my guy. He’s so good. Another gem Fran was in on early and locked up that he caught some flak for bringing in. Turns out Fran knows a thing or 2 about coaching and recruiting guards. It’s hard not to look at next year with all the injuries, but I’m just having a blast watching the team this year. This could potentially be Fran’s best team. None of us saw that coming, they are completely rewriting the narrative around our program. It’s been fun to watch.

Last edited:
Iowa does pound it inside and Michigan fouled Garza enough to foul out a small army, only 20% were called. Michigan settled for free throw line extended jump shots by their Bigs who didn't try to establish low-post position, or drives like you stated. Bardo was trying to stir up controversy like he was trying to stir up drama with 30 seconds toy go. I thought that was a stupid point to make for someone who watched the game as well. Michigan was on a mission to hack-a-Garza after the half, but alas Garza can make free throws.
I said it in Garza's freshman year. The more physical it is the better he likes it.

If he can keep shooting free throws like that team aren't going to be able to hack the crap out of him either. He will be near unstoppable!

If I recall correctly CJ missed his first three shot attempts from the floor. Which means he finished the game 6/6 including 3/3 from 3 and 6/6 free throws for 20 points.

I don’t think it can be understated how efficient of a shooter/scorer he is. He could be a legitimate 50/40/90 guy at this level (he won’t get to 90% free throws this year because he’s missed a few that were likely just adjusting to this level similar to Wieskamp last year).

But the thing is he’s so much more than a shooter. He can set up others, move without the ball, and finish around the hoop. His defense is pretty good as well. Kid is a stud
Great backcut to the hoop when we mounted the last critical comeback. And Wiesy found him.

He is the exact type of player we were told Brady Ellingson was supposed to be. Exact.

I’m just glad this team is tough as nails . Definitely tougher then all the fans crying like a bunch of women about the refs . Jesus Christ it’s big ten basketball . You get some calls or you don’t get some calls . The players know to just keep playing through it
What most people are complaining about is Howard was starting to get the Izzo treatment from the refs before he has earned any stripes. Keep mauling every single possession until the refs get tired of calling them.

For about five minutes after the technical, they swallowed the whistles, which is something else Izzo gets away with.

Last edited:
These guys don't panic

They just know they can come back

Nerves of Steel

Ice Water running in their veins

And ATTITUDE, BABY
Michigan was expecting us to fold like a cheap suit when they went up seven. You could see it in their mannerisms and body language.

You know, like Iowa teams in the past have done?

This isn't Iowa teams in the past. Fran's 22-49 record in close games from 2010-18 is well documented. But this is not one of those teams.

In addition to our resilience and cold blooded execution, what cost Michigan the game was their faith in our past history. They expected us to choke it again.

They were the ones quick shooting, firing air balls, turning it over, not attacking the offensive glass, settling for one and done, and not getting critical stops the last five minutes.

We were the exact opposite. How sweet it is. By the time the word gets around we are going to win several more games like this, because B1G teams are aware of Iowa's past reputation. Book it!

It’s going to be like that when the plan was to hack-a-Hawk.

And Bardo needs to use his brain when talking about foul discrepancy spread and nearly identical points in the paint — Michigan spreads it more and has guards/slashers beat their man to the basket = less fouls

Iowa pounds it inside = more fouls
Anyone think this was mauling? Wait until we play Michigan State.

What most people are complaining about is Howard was starting to get the Izzo treatment from the refs before he has earned any stripes. Keep mauling every single possession until the refs get tired of calling them.

For about five minutes after the technical, they swallowed the whistles, which is something else Izzo gets away with.
When Howard got testy I believe it was 7 fouls to zero in favor of Iowa .

I said it in Garza's freshman year. The more physical it is the better he likes it.

If he can keep shooting free throws like that team aren't going to be able to hack the crap out of him either. He will be near unstoppable!
The fans need to realize that officiating a game with Garza would be really difficult because he is just as physical with the defender when he is on offense. They let them play a little with banging each other .

The fans need to realize that officiating a game with Garza would be really difficult because he is just as physical with the defender when he is on offense. They let them play a little with banging each other .
Sounds like the stuff that Tom Izzo and Bo Ryan post players have gotten away with for decades. Remember Nigel Hayes manhandling Gabe Olesaini in the post and Fran getting kicked out of the game? (I was there that night). Remember Derrick Nix and Adrian Payne?

Sounds like the stuff that Tom Izzo and Bo Ryan post players have gotten away with for decades. Remember Nigel Hayes manhandling Gabe Olesaini in the post and Fran getting kicked out of the game? (I was there that night). Remember Derrick Nix and Adrian Payne?
We finally have a bunch of gritty shit talking tough as nails punks on OUR team . I fucking love it . They all seem to really enjoy each other when they talk to their teammates too. This is turning into a well oiled cohesive unit .

We finally have a bunch of gritty shit talking tough as nails punks on OUR team . I fucking love it . They all seem to really enjoy each other when they talk to their teammates too. This is turning into a well oiled cohesive unit .
The non conference schedule helped. I was ready to start a thread about it.

The neutral games and away games we played in November and December prepared us for the rigors of this conference. It could very well also end up (finally) getting us off the seven to nine seed line in the dance.

Maybe we can avoid that one or two seed in the second round. Or knock them out anyway, like Wisconsin did to Villanova a few years ago.

Latest posts