Freeh Report

When people decide they are gonna pontificate in favor of a kiddie rape coverup, it's best to just stand back and let them hang themselves with their own words.

Yep. Try not to let any of the sick splash onto your shoes, either. :(

The death penalty is a good place to start for Penn State football - College Football News | FOX Sports on MSN

Again and again, the 269-page report by Freeh’s group showed how Penn State officials had a “callous and shocking disregard for child victims.” They lied, then lied about their lies. Even now, the loyalty to the lie about Paterno being a man of integrity (despite evidence proving he lied to a grand jury regarding his knowledge of the 1998 investigation) is galling.
The moral of Freeh’s story comes courtesy of the AMC show "Breaking Bad," specifically Mike the Cleaner. It’s not important that you watch the show. It’s important that you understand the universality of the futility of half measures in some situations.
We can never make that mistake again. No more half measures.

I will admit that I used to think that Joe Paterno was a great man. Now I know that he was so weak that he allowed a monster to continue harming young boys for 14 years.
This makes even the Watergate cover-up seem like child's play(oops, poor choice of words. Never has the fall from grace been steeper than this.

If there are any psych majors on here who need a case study in denial, enjoy:

BlueWhiteIllustrated.com - Message Boards

Maybe Dr. Rosenrosen is avilable :)

Receptionist: May I help you Dr...?
Fletch: Oh, it's me, Dr. Rosenpenis. I'm just here to check out Alan Stanwyk's file.
Receptionist: Dr. who?
Fletch: Dr. Rosenrosen, I'm here to get to the records room.
Receptionist: What was that name again?
Fletch: It's Dr. Rosen, I want to check the records room.
Receptionist: Dr. who?
Fletch: Dr. Rosen. Where's the records room?

The best way to get organizations and the people running those organizations to do the right thing is to make it so costly to do wrong that they have no other choice but to do right.

I agree with David's assessment. I am most angered by McQueary. He saw it first hand. HE SAW IT FIRST HAND!!! HE DID NOT HEAR RUMORS, HE DID NOT HEAR STORIES FROM RANDOM PEOPLE... NO, HE SAW IT FIRST HAND!! HE IS THE PERSON I DETEST THE MOST FROM THIS WHOLE SITUATION. He should take the most fire.NOT JoePA
McQueary reported it and was told it was going to be taken care of IIRC. I remember hating on that dude when this all came out but really the "men" above him look way worse now.

i said that from the getgo

I think you are glossing over some important things. First, the first plan was to tell authorities and second mile what they had heard. The plan changed to 1) confront Sandusky and ask him about incident, if he confesses then tell him that they will assist him in informing the the foundation and authorities, if he denies they they will inform authorities and foundation themselves. The problem was that Curley and Schultz, confronted him, told the board but then never told the proper legal authorities. That doesn't sound like a cover up from Paterno, it sounds like a cover up by Curley and Schultz. The Second Mile Board was informed and determined there was nothing to the incident. The Second Mile didn't even turn it in which is almost more astounding than Penn State not reporting it since they are a children's charity. I think that it is hard for some people to believe this find of thing could actually be happening from someone they have known for so long and I think Paterno was one of those people. I think one of the biggest failings in all of this is McQueary. He is the one that actually witnessed the incident and if he felt something was going on he should have called the police at the least. Not called his dad and went over to Paterno's.
While I do not--at all--laud Paterno's behavior in any of this, your point on McQueary is the one that keeps popping up in my mind. McQueary is the one who witnessed that particular incident. JoePa and the whole PSU administration could have gone to the cops, but if McQueary clams up, changes his story or refutes it, and Sandusky is dragged through the muck on "hearsay=", JoePa and PSU face potential problems with libel or slander.Still, when we read that the group decided NOT to go to authorities after a conversation between Curley and JoePa, it's hard to="defend=" any of them.

this is idiotic. joepa wa required by law to report what mccreary told him to law enforcement. he and the adminosyration were at zero risk even if mccreary later changed his.story or recanted.

Hey Thunder,It may have been posted in some of these other posts, but what's the Cleary Act.

Hey Thunder,It may have been posted in some of these other posts, but what's the Cleary Act.

It's the federal law for campus crime reporting. All schools that receive federal aid are required to report all crimes that occur on campus, in student housing, on grounds owned by the school, or at school run functions. They are required to put out a yearly report that shows all of these crimes. PSU obviously failed to report these crimes, but it depends on how they were reported to campus officials on whether or not they could be fined over it. Beings the crimes were never officially "reported" they might not get in trouble for it.

I will. :)

Paterno had many times before stepped in front of investigations regarding players and said he would handle it himself in part to help cover things up, what makes you think he wouldn't do that for a life long friend? The email that said it was going to be reported but wasn't "after talking to Joe" should tell you all you need to know. He was the Godfather, regardless of title he was running the show at PSU.

Paterno was known as a control freak interested in preserving his own legacy. The fact that they stated an interest in taking the most "humane" treatment of a known (to them) pedophile while showing absolutely no concern whatsoever for the children being victimized speaks volumes about Paterno's true legacy.

I, for awhile, wanted to think the ncaa should issue a penalty of sorts when all reports are said and done. I never thought it would get to the"death" penalty. Clearly, after all this, it seems that if it is not handed down in some very heavy handed way by the ncaa, then they too will be associated as playing "cover up" themselves in a whole seperate matter.

While someone wisely posted and suggested earlier in the thread, that if they dont hand out a DP, then they should be required to hand over to some large charitable organization several years worth of football revenues. While creative, I don't see that happening, and the only real "out" penalty that can be handed down by the ncaa, can be nothing short of the death penalty to their football program.

How the B1G proceeds from there should also be interesting. Keep them around, due to other sports, (let them go entirely, or place on wait list) but are those sports so free of guilt, if it's the entire university and athletic dept involved? This rodeo ain't over.

I, for awhile, wanted to think the ncaa should issue a penalty of sorts when all reports are said and done. I never thought it would get to the"death" penalty. Clearly, after all this, it seems that if it is not handed down in some very heavy handed way by the ncaa, then they too will be associated as playing "cover up" themselves in a whole seperate matter.

While someone wisely posted and suggested earlier in the thread, that if they dont hand out a DP, then they should be required to hand over to some large charitable organization several years worth of football revenues. While creative, I don't see that happening, and the only real "out" penalty that can be handed down by the ncaa, can be nothing short of the death penalty to their football program.

How the B1G proceeds from there should also be interesting. Keep them around, due to other sports, (let them go entirely, or place on wait list) but are those sports so free of guilt, if it's the entire university and athletic dept involved? This rodeo ain't over.

I think B1G has two clear choices:

1) Let NCAA and courts handle
2) Boot them

No middle ground on this.

Yeah but something like that could get them in trouble with the NCAA. Covering up for a pedophile is out of NCAA's jurisdiction and they cannot take action or Penn State could sue.
True, but it shows their actions were selective in nature. I don't think it is a smoking gun, but some of the people involved were the same and it shows them in a different light in this case.

Yeah but something like that could get them in trouble with the NCAA. Covering up for a pedophile is out of NCAA's jurisdiction and they cannot take action or Penn State could sue.

Haven't you been reading the posts of treychase??
The cover-up = LoIC
NCAA will play a large role in the eventual punishment of PSU.

Oh, I think Pedo Joe's "Legacy" is set in stone now.

As an attorney wtih over a decade in practice, I'm racking my brain to try to remember an investigative report more damning that this one. I am failing at that endeavor.

Serious questions, since you are an attorney:

Why was McQueary not questioned? (The guy was an eyewitness!)

How did they get e-mails from 1998? (Seriously. Unless stored on a hard drive made of titanium and/or deliberately saved...)

How were they able to get stuff the prosecutors and state's attorneys couldn't? (Is there a serious problem in Pennsylvania beyond PSU?)

How come NObody seems to think Jay Paterno knew anything?

Latest posts