Fred Hoiberg Fired

He will probably take a year or so off then go into politics. He would probably be hard to beat running in Iowa. Senator, congressman, governor, mayor. Anyway, he has the name for it.

If he becomes a congressman or senator he can travel the world for free and still increase his fortune.
Yeah, and a dollar must be worth a lot more in WDC than fly-over country when a $275k salary can make a person a multi-millionaire in just a few years.

Why do you think he took so many transfers? It's a one or two week recruiting process. Guy hated recruiting, I can only see him going somewhere where the name on the front of the jersey does half the job recruiting for you.

Even that's not good enough. Coach K. Calpari, Self all these guys have to be closers and I do not think Hoiberg even wants to do that.

Thems the breaks.. How many NBA coaches have 10 yrs of tenure? Pops and who? Spolstra is he still in Miami he's getting close to that I suppose. I dunno the NBA is mostly a merry go round for coaches. When Hoiberg took it it was just a cash grab plain and simple. It wasn't a matter of if he'd last the duration of his contract or not but at what point would he get let go before it. And that's how it played out. Now I've read that he can go get a better basketball gig than what he had at ISU in college... How do you figure? Is a blue blood really going to hire him thinking he's all that? I'm not remotely sold on that. ISU was the best gig he was ever going to get frankly. He could have wrote his own ticket and been there 20 plus years. He could have had modest success and been a royal pain in Kansas's side not to mention ours. I don't see how going to UCLA or any other school out there for 3 to 6 yrs before leaving or getting fired would be 'better'. I would think ISU is where he could have made great $ coached as long as he wanted and had some success. So unless there's something underlining between say he and Pollard we all don't know about...

Fred made a lot of coin while there. Chicago is a great city but the Bulls front office may be the worst in all of professional sports! I feel he is lucky to be out of there. With his heart issues, he can now find a job that suits him that is less stressful.

The Reds front office says hi.

Fred made a lot of coin while there. Chicago is a great city but the Bulls front office may be the worst in all of professional sports! I feel he is lucky to be out of there. With his heart issues, he can now find a job that suits him that is less stressful.
Good point about the front office. How many more coaching hires do they get before they are shown the door.

It may be a business matter too. The Bulls still sell out the United Center regularly and have a healthy season ticket base. I wonder if these people realize they aren't watching Jordan and Pippen anymore, or at least the Thibadeaux Bulls with a young healthy Derrick Rose.

I'm going to apologize for this long rant to begin with but it just pisses me off to see such inept people stay at the helm of such a huge organization without any legit changes being made to correct the issue.

The Bulls roster has been in shambles for a while. The front office did a terrible job acquiring talent and setting up the team for future success to match Fred's style. Fred likes to spread the floor, exploit mismatches and shoot a lot of 3s. The front office should have been fired after who they brought in before Fred's second year. How they are still around is beyond me.

Year 1 - Unfortunately he inherited an aging roster that had an injury prone Rose running the show that has always been a poor shooter until this year (30.2% from 3 as a Bull). Not to mention his supposed rising star in Jimmy Butler wasn't much of a 3 point shooter either at the time (33.7% from 3 as a Bull). His starting 4 was Taj Gibson that never shoots 3s and starting 5 was an aging Pau Gasol that averaged 1 attempt from 3 per game. Basically a complete contrast of a roster type to fit his style.

Year 2 - He managed ok his first season with that roster and everyone expected the Bulls to bring in some good shooters in the off season to set up Fred's second year. So who did they bring in? They brought in aging veterans at the guard positions in DWade and Rajon Rondo, neither of which have ever been known as even average shooters from deep (both under 31.1% for their career). They also added Michael Carter-Williams, another Rondo like PG that is a terrible shooter from deep (25.4% from deep for his career). They also brought in Robin Lopez to fill the Joakim Noah gap and he of course doesn't stretch the floor. What in the world were they doing with that roster?

Year 3 - They finally got smart and decided to blow the thing up and rebuild by trading away Butler for Lavine (coming off torn acl but a career 37.8% shooter from deep at the time), finally a great true stretch 4 prospect in Lauri Markkanen (drafted and traded right away), and for some reason Kris Dunn (terrible shooter but good defender). I'll give getting Dunn a pass at the time as the other 2 players were good gets that matched Fred's style and they could always turn around and trade Dunn away. Due to the rebuild they were super young and Lavine was still rehabbing most of the season to get back from his torn acl. So it was a building year that nobody expected them to be any good.

Year 4 - They for some reason decide spend money to bring in Jabari Parker that had improved his shot but was dumb as they already had a better player in Larui Markkanen at the 4 and they needed guard help to go along with Lavine. Nope they stuck with Dunn and he ends up hurt and since they failed to bring in any help they have to go with Ryan Arcidiacono as their starting 1. Now I like what Ryan can bring as a role player but he should never be a starting 1 in the NBA. Throw in an injured Markkanen as well and just what the hell was Fred or anybody supposed to do with that roster?

It's crazy to think an NBA team would allow such inept moves to be made over and over again and blame it on the coaching.

I'm going to apologize for this long rant to begin with but it just pisses me off to see such inept people stay at the helm of such a huge organization without any legit changes being made to correct the issue.

The Bulls roster has been in shambles for a while. The front office did a terrible job acquiring talent and setting up the team for future success to match Fred's style. Fred likes to spread the floor, exploit mismatches and shoot a lot of 3s. The front office should have been fired after who they brought in before Fred's second year. How they are still around is beyond me.

Year 1 - Unfortunately he inherited an aging roster that had an injury prone Rose running the show that has always been a poor shooter until this year (30.2% from 3 as a Bull). Not to mention his supposed rising star in Jimmy Butler wasn't much of a 3 point shooter either at the time (33.7% from 3 as a Bull). His starting 4 was Taj Gibson that never shoots 3s and starting 5 was an aging Pau Gasol that averaged 1 attempt from 3 per game. Basically a complete contrast of a roster type to fit his style.

Year 2 - He managed ok his first season with that roster and everyone expected the Bulls to bring in some good shooters in the off season to set up Fred's second year. So who did they bring in? They brought in aging veterans at the guard positions in DWade and Rajon Rondo, neither of which have ever been known as even average shooters from deep (both under 31.1% for their career). They also added Michael Carter-Williams, another Rondo like PG that is a terrible shooter from deep (25.4% from deep for his career). They also brought in Robin Lopez to fill the Joakim Noah gap and he of course doesn't stretch the floor. What in the world were they doing with that roster?

Year 3 - They finally got smart and decided to blow the thing up and rebuild by trading away Butler for Lavine (coming off torn acl but a career 37.8% shooter from deep at the time), finally a great true stretch 4 prospect in Lauri Markkanen (drafted and traded right away), and for some reason Kris Dunn (terrible shooter but good defender). I'll give getting Dunn a pass at the time as the other 2 players were good gets that matched Fred's style and they could always turn around and trade Dunn away. Due to the rebuild they were super young and Lavine was still rehabbing most of the season to get back from his torn acl. So it was a building year that nobody expected them to be any good.

Year 4 - They for some reason decide spend money to bring in Jabari Parker that had improved his shot but was dumb as they already had a better player in Larui Markkanen at the 4 and they needed guard help to go along with Lavine. Nope they stuck with Dunn and he ends up hurt and since they failed to bring in any help they have to go with Ryan Arcidiacono as their starting 1. Now I like what Ryan can bring as a role player but he should never be a starting 1 in the NBA. Throw in an injured Markkanen as well and just what the hell was Fred or anybody supposed to do with that roster?

It's crazy to think an NBA team would allow such inept moves to be made over and over again and blame it on the coaching.

Must be a Bulls fan eh? I was during the BJ Armstrong days haven't followed em much in the last 20 yrs though. (man i'm getting old) I could have told you all the Bulls players stats during that era from 90-98ish. Now I'm a just a novice NBA follower.

But yeah that's the gist of how the NBA works. It's never the top of the totem poles fault...

Must be a Bulls fan eh? I was during the BJ Armstrong days haven't followed em much in the last 20 yrs though. (man i'm getting old) I could have told you all the Bulls players stats during that era from 90-98ish. Now I'm a just a novice NBA follower.

But yeah that's the gist of how the NBA works. It's never the top of the totem poles fault...

Actually the sad thing is I'm not a Bulls fan and I still see how inept their front office is. It just irritates the heck out of me when front offices are so dumb and fail to execute or in this case even come close to setting up a team for success. I mean who hires a coach then brings in aging players that don't fit his system but are better fits for the coach they previously fired?