Fran's got a great gig...

3 dances in last 5 years. Can't really count this year yet, but I'll give Iowa the same benefit as every other school for year 5 in this exercise... as in, no ones made it, yet. Let's see who else has more since the 13-14 season...let's start with the B1G since that's their immediate peers?

Ohio State? Nope
Illinois? Nope
Indiana? Nope
Minnesota? Nope
Michigan? Nope
Maryland? Nope
Nebraska? Nope
Northwestern? Nope
Penn State? Nope
Purdue? Nope
Rutgers? Nope

so, Michigan State and Wisconsin. That's it. I am not going to look at every conference but more then 3 Dances in 5 I would imagine is top tier in the sport, 3 in 5 is hardly "bad", not great either.

Are you implying Purdue, Indiana, Michigan and Maryland haven't had more success than us since the 13-14 season?

Are you implying Purdue, Indiana, Michigan and Maryland haven't had more success than us since the 13-14 season?

LOL, not at all, I don't think I even remotely implied that, I just hit you with the facts to dispute what you said. You said 3 dances in the last 5 years isn't good, in fact its bad. It's not. It's not great either.

Tom Davis never made the NCAA 4 years in a row. I was really hoping Fran would have eclipsed that mark, almost did.
tenor.gif

LOL, not at all, I don't think I even remotely implied that, I just hit you with the facts to dispute what you said. You said 3 dances in the last 5 years isn't good, in fact its bad. It's not. It's not great either.

Going back 5 years which includes Fran's best seasons there are still 6 teams in our own conference with more success than us. That doesn't include a team like Minnesota could jump us after this year too if they make the second weekend or further. He has put up mediocre results here in any time frame you try to put together and is on his way to missing the tournament two straight years. Not good. Not bad. Mediocre.

has anyone on here tried to call Fran elite? I missed that. I said, Fran has got Iowa back to where it's been traditionally as a basketball school and certainly does not warrant being fired at this point.

Where did I say that he should be fired? I didn't. However, if he doesn't finish upper 1/3 in the next 2 years, then he isn't going to do it very much.

Going back 5 years which includes Fran's best seasons there are still 6 teams in our own conference with more success than us. That doesn't include a team like Minnesota could jump us after this year too if they make the second weekend or further. He has put up mediocre results here in any time frame you try to put together and is on his way to missing the tournament two straight years. Not good. Not bad. Mediocre.

Depends on your definition of success. It seems like you think a team that made the sweet 16 one year and missed the tournament bad the other 4 would be classified as more successful to you. That's fine to think that way, but I think it's overall body of work.

ok... that's NOT what you originally said. I can only give you 1 answer per crappy take, sorry you have to open up your scope now that I showed you that you were wrong. It's hard to hit a moving target.

I like how you have Minnesota jumping us when they lost as a 12 seed last season and don't have a NCAA win to even boast at this point in the same time period we're discussing and are probably at best a double digit seed as it stands today.

Who's the last Iowa coach to win the Big 10 and not bolt for another school?

technically, that would also be lute. he won B1G in '79 and coached through '83. before that was bucky o'conner. he coached 2 seasons after back-to-back B1G titles.

Where did I say that he should be fired? I didn't. However, if he doesn't finish upper 1/3 in the next 2 years, then he isn't going to do it very much.

Sorry, I didn't mean to direct that directly at you - some think it's time for Fran to go. I'll be in that camp as well if they miss this season. Next year will be NCAA or GTFO for me personally.

Well you can't say what you said when we've already challenged for one.
Ok I stand corrected we were 12-6 but did not challenge for a Regular Season conference title OR the Tournament Championship. Thank you for correcting me.

"So our standard is to finish in the bottom half of the conference and we're ok with that?"

someone points out that hasn't happened since Fran's first couple of seasons.....

this thread is like a paint by #'s...

we just need a "Fran can't recruit a PG" after having a 4 year starter and an All B1G freshman kick in the nuts and we'll be complete.
You obviously don't follow college basketball.

Ok I stand corrected we were 12-6 but did not challenge for a Regular Season conference title OR the Tournament Championship. Thank you for correcting me.

We challenge until the last week when we lost to Indiana. Not being out of the hunt until the second to last game of the year constitutes challenging.

Latest posts