Franklin calls out Hawk fans

Can’t really do that, though. A series can be one play or 20 plays. It has to be some set number like 10 snaps on whatever side of the ball they play on.

For example, a DB goes down with an injury bad enough that they have to take an official’s timeout. That player has to sit out until his team’s defense has been on the field for 10 more snaps.

If a team goes over say, 4 injury timeouts in a game, it’s a 15 yd penalty and loss of down if it’s against the offense, and a 15 yd penalty and automatic first down if it’s against the defense.
I think a player having to sit out until there has been a change of possession is completely fair. That’s typically enough time for a player to recover in a minor injury and enough to keep teams from flopping. They can spin it as a way to help improve player safety to prevent teams from rushing a player back out on to the field.

It's completely prevalent now. Every defense other than ours and Bama's does it against tempo. Guys will be standing and just fall. They need a rule that if you do that more than twice in a game the offense gets to pick a player off the defense to disqualify for 5 plays or something. And the guy who does it should be out for 2 drives. If you are so hurt that they have to stop the game, it's not safe for you to come right back in after one play. It's bullshit and unsportsmanlike and it slows the game way down.
Everyone is making this too complicated. It should be a refs decision. They know exactly what's going on. Should be a 15 yard penalty. Period.

Everyone is making this too complicated. It should be a refs decision. They know exactly what's going on. Should be a 15 yard penalty. Period.
In concept I agree. But you’re asking the official to play medical expert and judge whether the player on the ground is truly injured or faking it. And then be prepared to catch hell from that team’s coaches and fans.

It should hurt more than that. Half the distance to the goal. If this continues, eject the next player who does it. Or the coach.

Ok how crazy or unrealistic of an idea is this?

Teams all have those “medical tents” now, why not put some sort of board which can give info such as jersey number and put a certain amount of time on a timer. Sort of like a hockey penalty box, but this is so there is adequate time to address an injured player to ensure they are indeed ready to come back to the game. The timer can be a minimum time, so if more time is needed so be it, but a player can’t return any sooner than the timer running out. If more than one player needs the medical tent, just make the board large enough to accommodate.

I’m not as game savvy as most of you so I’m sure I’m not thinking of something here.

As I posted in the game thread not one "incident" occurred when Goodson was tackled behind the line.

Every one of them was after a positive gain or first down.

As Randy Newman once sang, you can't fool the fat man.

If you are injured enough to stop the game and you need medical attention and to come off the field, you are too injured to immediately go back in the game. The medical staff needs more than 45 seconds to evaluate the situation if there is a bona fide injury. So, to cut back on faking, and in the best interest of actually injured players, the kid should have to sit out 4 plays unless the coach burns a TO. Problem solved.

You know how you overcome such deviousness?

You win despite it.
Amen. Now that they know their tactic and lame ass strategy didn't work maybe they'll be less likely to keep doing it.

Besides trying to slow down our O and keep us from getting on a roll I think they were also doing it to control the crowd a little. Stops in the action get the crowd sitting on their hands a little bit. Obviously that wasn't going to fly though that crowd was off the hook from start to finish.

Franklin is very media savvy. He knows if he goes off in his press conference about Iowa fans and coaches mocking his poor "injured" players, then it gets his media and fans pissed at Iowa. They focus on how "bad" Iowa fans are, and they overlook that this offensive "genius" coach had a 4 star backup QB that was totally unprepared to play in a BIG 10 game.

So James' rant is to distract from his on poor coaching job that probably cost is team the game.

Their fans think we are a bunch of classless A-holes. Why Iowa doesn't even run an up tempo offense so why would we need to fake injuries. PSU must have some of the DUMBEST, IGNORANT, STUPIDEST fans in the history of college football. Good grief! Blinded by their lies from a D-bag of a coach! Stupid jerks! Their players were hurt so bad that they came back in after 1 play! Give me a break!

The exact Franklin quote:

"They don't run a tempo offense. It was not part of our plan."

What a stupid fucking thing to say, because now we *know* you teach this "technique". He's implying it would have been a part of the plan if we ran a tempo offense, I think.

Once you've implanted in the minds of your players that flopping is OK, even desirable, they are going to do it.

I've heard this same thing reading many comments by Penn St. fans. They claim no way was Penn St. doing this because Iowa doesn't run a high tempo offense.

That argument is crap as there still could be interest in having it as a game plan just so the coaches could have time to in-game scheme or change personnel between plays. It's not just to slow down a team or mess with their tempo.

We are making this out to be some major problem and it’s not. If you “fake” an injury you are sitting out the next play already. I wouldn’t risk anyone on our defense having to sit the next play. It’s not like our explosive offense is being hurt by this. The only change I would make is it shouldn’t be a free timeout for coaches to prepare for the next play. Just require teams to stay on the field and penalize coaches that do anything other than attend to the injured players.

As for Franklin, F him and I hope he enjoyed the trip home after that one!

Franklin is very media savvy. He knows if he goes off in his press conference about Iowa fans and coaches mocking his poor "injured" players, then it gets his media and fans pissed at Iowa. They focus on how "bad" Iowa fans are, and they overlook that this offensive "genius" coach had a 4 star backup QB that was totally unprepared to play in a BIG 10 game.

So James' rant is to distract from his on poor coaching job that probably cost is team the game.

Yup yup.. Pretty lame. It was like the first damn thing he said. F him. What's the avg recruiting class PSU has going compared to Iowas? They should be deeper then us. They should have a competent QB that can do more then run a zone read running play for a backup. Kid was a RS Jr I believe too so wasn't like he was a freshmen.

Hope he goes to USC and flails out there for a couple yrs before getting shit canned

This goes both ways. I re-watched it finally and some injuries seemed legit to me, and of course some were questionable too.

On defense, the injuries to their #17-Ebiketie and #1-Brister were questionable, as they returned after missing 4 plays for Ebiketie and 1 play for Brister. They then both played the rest of the way.

91-Ellis went down at 7:52 left in Q2, but came back the 1st series in Q3 and played rest of the way. However, it looked legit to me as he had someone land on his arm on a tackle. #0-Sutherland looked legit too, as he was out the rest of the game after a hard, high block from Iowa.

Here is what I could see at least.
Game Time
PSU Player #
PSU Player Name
Down
Injury
Did player return to action?
13:12 Q1​
97 – Defense​
Mustipher​
Iowa 1st & 10, run play for -1 yards​
Left leg/knee from block by Linderbaum​
Did not return​
4:02 Q1​
13 – Offense​
Lambert-Smith​
PSU 2nd & 8 Iowa 37. 33 yard pass/catch​
Left leg from low tackle​
Returned 1st play of the next series, played rest of way​
3:14 Q1​
1 – Defense​
Brister​
Iowa 1st & 10 Iowa 25, run play for 19 yards​
Shoulder or head – high hit on tackle of Goodson​
Back in after missing 1 play, played rest of way​
12;35 Q2​
14 – Offense​
Clifford​
PSU 3rd & 7 Iowa 14, incomplete pass​
Ribs – hard hit by Campbell​
Did not return​
7:52 Q2​
91 – Defense​
Ellis​
Iowa 1st & 10 PSU 16, run play for 4 yards​
Left elbow/arm, in on tackle of Goodson – it's possible PSU #16 fell on his arm during tackle​
Returned 1st series of Q3, played rest of way​
5:39 Q2​
0 – Defense​
Sutherland​
Iowa 1st & 10 Iowa 36, WR screen for 11 yards​
Shoulder or upper body – hard, high block from 73-Iowa​
Did not return​
5:29 Q3​
17 – Defense​
Ebiketie​
Iowa 1st & 10 Iowa 36, run play for 18 yards​
Opposite side of play, not involved in tackle, no one around him, not touched​
Back in after missing 4 plays, played rest of way​

This goes both ways. I re-watched it finally and some injuries seemed legit to me, and of course some were questionable too.

On defense, the injuries to their #17-Ebiketie and #1-Brister were questionable, as they returned after missing 4 plays for Ebiketie and 1 play for Brister. They then both played the rest of the way.

91-Ellis went down at 7:52 left in Q2, but came back the 1st series in Q3 and played rest of the way. However, it looked legit to me as he had someone land on his arm on a tackle. #0-Sutherland looked legit too, as he was out the rest of the game after a hard, high block from Iowa.

Game Time
PSU Player #
PSU Player Name
Down
Injury
97 – Defense​
Mustipher​
Did not return​
13 – Offense​
Lambert-Smith​
1 – Defense​
Brister​
12;35 Q2​
14 – Offense​
Clifford​
Did not return​
91 – Defense​
Ellis​
Left elbow/arm, in on tackle of Goodson – it's possible PSU #16 fell on his arm during tackle​
0 – Defense​
Sutherland​
Did not return​
17 – Defense​
Ebiketie​

I don't think we were booing every injury, the booing started when Brister went down after Iowa had made a big play. He laid there for awhile then got up and practically skipped off the field and that set up everything else whether it was legit or not. It was blatantly obvious when 17 went down and that really pissed us off. Granted we probably were not justified booing all of them but once you fake once then you better be prepared to be boo'd on all the rest because unless we can see a hit nobody can tell the difference.

I don't remember booing either of the 2 offensive injuries, in fact I didn't even know Clifford was hurt until the next series as I think he got right up. Had he laid there none of us would have boo'd as we could all see the hit he took.

Game Time
PSU Player #
PSU Player Name
Down
Injury
97 – Defense​
Mustipher​
Did not return​
13 – Offense​
Lambert-Smith​
1 – Defense​
Brister​
12;35 Q2​
14 – Offense​
Clifford​
Did not return​
91 – Defense​
Ellis​
0 – Defense​
Sutherland​
Did not return​
17 – Defense​
Ebiketie​
Lower body injuries and head/neck injuries should be the only thing that warrants a player being immobile on the field unless it's something catastrophic. Get the player up and off the field, and restart the clock as soon as he's off.

Regardless, any injured player should come out for 10 offensive or defensive snaps (whichever side of the ball he plays on), and after 2 injury timeouts per half the offending team should be assessed 15+ loss of down for offense, or 15+ auto first down on defense, plus a loss of a normal timeout after 2 injury TOs per half. If you don't have any timeouts remaining and you have your 3rd injury timeout of the half, the penalty yardage should be half the distance to the goal or the 1 YD line if it's within 15 yards of the endzone.

In addition, the team with an injury timeout should never be allowed to huddle with staff and should be required to stay between the hashes. The team without the injury should have full timeout rights.

Yeah - there was no booing when their offensive players went down, it was just the defensive players after our big plays. Looks like of those, Sutherland was definitely legit and now I feel bad for him, but given the way the rest happened it was understandable in my opinion.