Franklin calls out Hawk fans

Feigning injuries in football is bad for the game and players safety. It’s the sports world equivalent to the little boy who cried wolf parable. The best solution would be to make players sit out for more than 1 play (probably until change of possession). That sucks for guys that get the wind knocked out of them, but in the interest of safety, if you are hurt enough to stop the game, maybe it’s ok for you to grab some water and catch your breath.

It's completely prevalent now. Every defense other than ours and Bama's does it against tempo. Guys will be standing and just fall. They need a rule that if you do that more than twice in a game the offense gets to pick a player off the defense to disqualify for 5 plays or something. And the guy who does it should be out for 2 drives. If you are so hurt that they have to stop the game, it's not safe for you to come right back in after one play. It's bullshit and unsportsmanlike and it slows the game way down.

Could just do what they do in soccer now, which is to let the ref decide who's actually injured and just play on if it's fake. Few automatic offsides because the faker doesn't get up in time will end it quite quickly.

Could just do what they do in soccer now, which is to let the ref decide who's actually injured and just play on if it's fake. Few automatic offsides because the faker doesn't get up in time will end it quite quickly.

Nah, too much risk of getting someone hurt. If a guy falls from a cramp and then gets trampled that isn't in the best interest of the game. But if guys are cramping, they need to be out for longer. Don't want someone getting dehydrated.

Sorry everyone I don’t agree with trying to punish teams for injuries. I completely understand that the timing of the injuries was suspicious but football is a rough sport and we absolutely don’t want players to try to keep playing in order to not have their team penalized.

I also don’t think that booing players for injuries is the image I want associated with the Iowa Hawkeye fan base. Again I completely understand that the timing of the “injuries”was suspicious.

Yes, this is basically admitting they teach it against an up tempo offense.

Also, Iowa's offense depends on rhythm and flow, so these "injuries" upset the flow of their offense, not letting them build off of a good play. It doesn't have to be a matter of slowing down a fast offense or giving the defense a breather. If you can F with the rhythym of a team's offense, it can be a significant advantage.

FU PSU
Exactly!

Sorry everyone I don’t agree with trying to punish teams for injuries. I completely understand that the timing of the injuries was suspicious but football is a rough sport and we absolutely don’t want players to try to keep playing in order to not have their team penalized.
I also don’t think that booing players for injuries is the image I want associated with the Iowa Hawkeye fan base. Again I completely understand that the timing of the “injuries”was suspicious.
To be fair, we're talking about punishing and booing teams for *faking* injuries.

There's a lot of sickos in the world, but I would guess the vast majority of football fans don't want to see *real* injuries of any kind.

For the sake of both safety and fairness, any injury requiring a stoppage of play I think needs to be further addressed in the rules. At the bare minimum, the coaches should not be allowed to huddle with the players on field unless a timeout has been called. Make the (uninjured) 11 of both teams stand between the hashes, if the coaches want to talk to them, make them scream across the field.

I also think if you are hurt badly enough to necessitate a stoppage of play and trainer attention you, again for safety and fairness sake, should be out for much longer than 1 play. For one thing, that's just dangerous but it's also tempting the James Franklins of the world to try and stretch good faith to its breaking point.

To be fair, we're talking about punishing and booing teams for *faking* injuries.

There's a lot of sickos in the world, but I would guess the vast majority of football fans don't want to see *real* injuries of any kind.

For the sake of both safety and fairness, any injury requiring a stoppage of play I think needs to be further addressed in the rules. At the bare minimum, the coaches should not be allowed to huddle with the players on field unless a timeout has been called. Make the (uninjured) 11 of both teams stand between the hashes, if the coaches want to talk to them, make them scream across the field.

I also think if you are hurt badly enough to necessitate a stoppage of play and trainer attention you, again for safety and fairness sake, should be out for much longer than 1 play. For one thing, that's just dangerous but it's also tempting the James Franklins of the world to try and stretch good faith to its breaking point.

Good suggestions. Also only allow for the substitution of the injured player and require it to be within the depth chart (so they couldn't change a DT for a DB) but allow the offense to substitute at will. Obviously only do that for faked injuries on defense. You wouldn't do it for a play where the cart comes out like what happened to Demus or anything.

We often forget that football is just a game and the safety of players is more important than whether or not someone is trying to stretch the rules. That being said while I am glad that our players and coaches are not doing it if our coaches truly feel that these injuries are fake than why not play their game? We have more to gain than other teams by faking injuries to slow our opponents down. Our defensive line and dbs go 2 deep with little to no drop off. Again I don’t want to play that game but if we’re so sure that the other team is we could play their game and it would benefit us more.

I don't either but they brought this upon themselves. There isn't a fan base in the country that wouldn't boo that performance, and I call it a performance because that's exactly what it was.

I don't either but they brought this upon themselves. There isn't a fan base in the country that wouldn't boo that performance, and I call it a performance because that's exactly what it was.
I would like to see a night white out game in Happy Valley against OSU where OSU was nursing a precarious lead and was consistently having similarly timed "injuries". I bet the PSU student section would be huddled in solemn prayer for the safety and well being of their noble foes.

Give me a break, they'd be losing their minds.

Just read some article at PSU web site bemoaning the injuries to their players. The article pointed to the “toughness“. of the PSU players. The article noted that 9 of 11 players returned to the field. Two players have significant injuries, Clifford and the defensive tackle. Iowa fan base has been through the BS before. If the health of players is the most important, keeping a player out an entire series is the way to go. If it’s important enough to stop play it’s important enough to be assessed by a medical professional. Then I saw the comment he made and it was so half-hearted and casual and really felt like he was just Trying to make Iowa the villains here, SOUR GRAPES.

Doesn’t matter if you don’t like the image. 70,000 people disagree with you.

And stop euphemising it by calling the timing suspicious. Call a spade a spade and admit that it was bullshit flopping every time they wanted to kill our momentum or needed a free timeout.

Did you see the video of LeVar Woods falling on the ground like a drama queen to show the refs what they were doing? I trust his interpretation a whole lot more than yours.

My take. Following many decades of Iowa games from the stands, I know full well that the norm for Iowa fans is to remain quiet when an opposing player is injured. That response is followed by applause from the crowd as the injured player leaves the field.
Iowa fans are savvy observers of the game. The boo’s came after clear misuse by PSU of “injuries” to stop the clock and interrupt the flow of the game. Virtually all of those incidents came when Iowa had the ball. Their offensive players must be in better condition than their D’S.
Franklin is a straight out liar. He claimed the fans, Iowa coaches, and player boo’ed injured players, when in fact they (we) were booing Franklin and his staff. He lied again by claiming through some nonsensical reference to “up tempo” that he had not instructed his players to fake injuries.
So, end of story coach Franklin. Sorry about the drop in your ranking.

Funny thing, I didn't see any of his players hurt or go down when their offense was going tempo. I'd would thought their tuff players were on defense. Guess not. Direct reflection of their coach if feelings were that hurt over it!

Also, of these injuries needing a stoppage in play, what ratio occurred while PSU was on D?

Again, statistical anomalies are a thing, but I don't think we can be blamed for raising an eyebrow.

When 70K simultaneously raise an eyebrow, it sounds like "BOOOOOO!" lol

I think little Jimmy better get over it.

It is a chicken shit tactic and needs to be addressed.

Player must not return for rest of that series, minimum, and maybe the following one. "For their safety" they need plenty of time to be evaluated.

The exact Franklin quote:

"They don't run a tempo offense. It was not part of our plan."

What a stupid fucking thing to say, because now we *know* you teach this "technique". He's implying it would have been a part of the plan if we ran a tempo offense, I think.

Once you've implanted in the minds of your players that flopping is OK, even desirable, they are going to do it.

It is a chicken shit tactic and needs to be addressed.

Player must not return for rest of that series, minimum, and maybe the following one. "For their safety" they need plenty of time to be evaluated.
Can’t really do that, though. A series can be one play or 20 plays. It has to be some set number like 10 snaps on whatever side of the ball they play on.

For example, a DB goes down with an injury bad enough that they have to take an official’s timeout. That player has to sit out until his team’s defense has been on the field for 10 more snaps.

If a team goes over say, 4 injury timeouts in a game, it’s a 15 yd penalty and loss of down if it’s against the offense, and a 15 yd penalty and automatic first down if it’s against the defense.

Latest posts