Frank Kaminsky = What Adam Woodbury could be?

I have no patience for idiot Iowa fans crying about being at the end of their rope. Iowa has made steady and noticeable strides over the last four years, it's not my problem that you are so shortsighted a late season swoon makes you forget that.

You threw out how Kaminsky can step outside and hit threes, etc., and how that's why Woody will never be as good as Kaminsky. But they're different kinds of players. If Woody were to become a dominating post presence, he could easily make a similar impact without having the exact same skill set.

Dirk has a very versatile skill set. Shaq spent all his time around the rim. That doesn't mean Dirk is/was a better player than Shaq.

Whoa, let's not put the cart before the horse. While I have no doubt Woodbury will be better than Shaq as a senior, I'm just hopeful that next year we can get Ostertag or Big Country caliber play out of him.

You threw out how Kaminsky can step outside and hit threes, etc., and how that's why Woody will never be as good as Kaminsky. But they're different kinds of players. If Woody were to become a dominating post presence, he could easily make a similar impact without having the exact same skill set.

Dirk has a very versatile skill set. Shaq spent all his time around the rim. That doesn't mean Dirk is/was a better player than Shaq.

Like I stated earlier Woodbury doesn't have the skill set that Kaminsky possess. The title of this thread is Kaminsky = What Woodbury could be. I'm not buying it.

It's possible for Woody to be as good as Kaminsky and not have an outside shot. They're different styles, for sure. But Larry Bird and Magic didn't exactly have the same skill sets, yet it's not outrageous to think one was as good as the other.

So you explain then how does Woodbury without the outside shot be = to what Frank Kaminsky IS? ;) That is the question TM - Frank Kaminsky = What Adam Woodbury could be? The answer is NO. I think by your responses you have the same conclusion as many of us.

Last edited:
So you explain then how does Woodbury without the outside shot be = to what Frank Kaminsky IS? ;) That is what this thread is about TM.

Kaminsky is pretty good. He is a gamer and seems to be under control. Woodbury is going to be a lot better next year. Woodbury is a gamer and is learning to play under control. Kaminsky is a year ahead of Woodbury. I wouldn't trade Woodbury for Kaminsky, but Kaminsky is a lot better than he was last year. Its probably like comparing apples to oranges, but I think Woodbury has a higher ceiling defensively and offensively, but I doubt Woodbury will ever be a great three point threat.

Whoa, let's not put the cart before the horse. While I have no doubt Woodbury will be better than Shaq as a senior, I'm just hopeful that next year we can get Ostertag or Big Country caliber play out of him.

Eric Montross? Guy had the sickest buzz cut of all time.

Don't think I ever see Woody getting out there and knocking down 3's like Kaminsky does, but that's ok, I'm sure that's not exactly what AW was recruited to do, either.

If I had to pick 2 guys that played the same position but are complete opposites in the way they play that position I might answer Kaminsky and Woodbury. Its not a knock on Woodbury but they have completely different skill sets.

Everytime I watch Frank Kaminsky play.. I feel like he's what Adam Woodbury could be and/or will be. Solid outside shot and good inside moves.

Am I the only one that sees this?

With all due respect, and no intention to rip on Woody, but this is just funny. Repeat this post when you see Woody as a player that is a consistent threat on the arc. As it stands right now, Woody isn't a threat from 12 feet consistently. Kaminsky is developing into one fine player, and kudos for him. Would love to see Woody continue to develop, but I do not see any connection at this time.

Kaminsky is pretty good. He is a gamer and seems to be under control. Woodbury is going to be a lot better next year. Woodbury is a gamer and is learning to play under control. Kaminsky is a year ahead of Woodbury. I wouldn't trade Woodbury for Kaminsky, but Kaminsky is a lot better than he was last year. Its probably like comparing apples to oranges, but I think Woodbury has a higher ceiling defensively and offensively, but I doubt Woodbury will ever be a great three point threat.

You wouldn't trade Woodbury for Kaminsky? Take off the black and gold glasses.

What you mean Maybe? Come on folks! Adam doesn't have the skill set of Kaminsky.

Let me ask you people who think Adam can be as good as Frank Kaminski. Do any of you see Adam playing the role of Dirk Nowitski in the NBA? That is what I saw last night in Kaminskiy that dude can flat out ball and has all the tools to become that type of player in the NBA. Will he, I don't have that answer but I know for a fact that Adam Woodbury will never have those tools. NEVER!

Wisconsin will be scary good next year. Decker and Kaminsky returning. Wow!!!

Like I stated earlier Woodbury doesn't have the skill set that Kaminsky possess. The title of this thread is Kaminsky = What Woodbury could be. I'm not buying it.

The bolded is where you changed the argument from whether Woody will have the same skill set, to whether he'll be as good as Kaminsky. He doesn't have to have the same skill set to be as good as Kaminsky.

Do I think Woody will eventually make as big of or a bigger impact than Kaminsky? Maybe, but I'm not holding my breath. But it's not a question of whether he's got the same skill set.

Unfortunately, Woody is not in the same class as Kaminsky....These are two different cats....Woody is slow and really has no inside game (on a consistent basis)....dude can't jump to save his arse....He has a long ways to go...he needs to become stronger w/the rock...However, I was very impressed with his FT shooting this year though...a lot better than I thought...but, that's about it.....If he was in there longer, then maybe....Kaminsky has that long ranged option, like the three that makes him a more enticing player....This is just as instance where he is better than Woody, plain and simple...

Woody is going to be a very good player for Iowa by the time he's done. He's already a pretty good defender, and at times he was the only Iowa player showing any kind of heart or emotion out there. He showed flashes of how good he could be at the end of the season- he's got good post moves, and he seems to be figuring out how to use his body better. He even developed a pretty decent little 12-15 footer as the season went on. With a whole nother year to hit the weights and hone his skills even further, I think we'll see Woody jump closer to 8-10 ppg next season.

Woody is going to be a very good player for Iowa by the time he's done. He's already a pretty good defender, and at times he was the only Iowa player showing any kind of heart or emotion out there. He showed flashes of how good he could be at the end of the season- he's got good post moves, and he seems to be figuring out how to use his body better. He even developed a pretty decent little 12-15 footer as the season went on. With a whole nother year to hit the weights and hone his skills even further, I think we'll see Woody jump closer to 8-10 ppg next season.

I don't see Woodbury averaging more than 7 points a game for the rest of his career, simply because he will play only about 20 minutes per game in Iowa's system.

I don't see Woodbury averaging more than 7 points a game for the rest of his career, simply because he will play only about 20 minutes per game in Iowa's system.

Disagree and if Fran doesn't adjust to have him more involved these next two years I'll be very disappointed as I think he may be our 2nd-3rd best offensive weapon next year.

I fully expect him to be a double double guy by his senior year. Shoot maybe even by next year and be a 15-10 guy in his last year.

You wouldn't trade Woodbury for Kaminsky? Take off the black and gold glasses.

The freshman Woodbury was better than the freshman Kaminsky, and the sophomore Woodbury was better than the sophomore Kaminsky. Why wouldn't it be logical to assume the junior Woodbury will be better than the junior Kaminsky was. Kaminsky came on his junior year, and I hope Woodbury will do the same for Iowa. Kaminsky is a good player, but he isn't Gods gift to basketball. Next year Iowa is going to be closer to if not as athletic as Wisconsin, and it makes a big difference. I haven't heard anyone saying Kaminsky is going to be a first round draft pick if he enters the draft this year.

Everytime I watch Frank Kaminsky play.. I feel like he's what Adam Woodbury could be and/or will be. Solid outside shot and good inside moves.

Am I the only one that sees this?

Adam can become real good..but two entirely different skills sets. Frank is a Euro 4.5 IMO...Woodbury is a classic 5

The freshman Woodbury was better than the freshman Kaminsky, and the sophomore Woodbury was better than the sophomore Kaminsky. Why wouldn't it be logical to assume the junior Woodbury will be better than the junior Kaminsky was. Kaminsky came on his junior year, and I hope Woodbury will do the same for Iowa. Kaminsky is a good player, but he isn't Gods gift to basketball. Next year Iowa is going to be closer to if not as athletic as Wisconsin, and it makes a big difference. I haven't heard anyone saying Kaminsky is going to be a first round draft pick if he enters the draft this year.

It's starting, putting up 28/11 on an Arizona front line featuring three possible future NBA guys opens a lot of eyes.

I certainly don't see Adam Woodbury stepping out to the 3 pt line. I don't even want him outside the paint.

Yeah, I agree with this...I'd like him down in the low post with a step stool absolutely throwing down. I'm not going to compare Woody to Kaminsky...Woody's a different player...and it's going outside 10-12 feet with the outside shot...and that's fine. He just needs to keep working on the post moves...he's getting close to being a very good post player. I think the light goes on next year and he gains some confidence.

Latest posts