Francis officially the first assistant

Francis was pretty much a shoe-in from the start, most people knew this. The kicker was if Bounoguru (sp?) was coming or getting the HC spot at Siena.

First of all, I realize Francis has been in the fold from day one. I was not trying to throw out something crazy here. Just passing along info that I had. I specifically said, "take it for what it's worth."

I apologize to you, columbus, and to you, Mr. Miller. I guess I am not allowed to do such a thing. God forbid that someone around here posts something before Jon. Go ahead everyone, get in line to kiss Jon's backside and take shots at me.

I will go take my "timeout." (as soon as I get 'banned')
No one is saying that. Information is always good.

With Mitch off the board, that leaves a better opening for Walthall...I don't think Speraw any more...Rodell Davis, Walthall, Wayne Morgan..perhaps two of those three...plus Horner for the GA position...I would wager that at least two of those four names will be on the staff.

I don't get the Walthal angle. I know he recruited a majority of the guys left....but those guys also just got done with the worst 3 years in history. I think it's best to cut all ties to the old regime.

I don't get the Walthal angle. I know he recruited a majority of the guys left....but those guys also just got done with the worst 3 years in history. I think it's best to cut all ties to the old regime.

Agree, Walthall had a chance at Iowa and it didn't work out for him. He has some descent recruits he has been responsible for but all everyone has been saying is that they are not BIG TIME recruits. Cut all ties and move on. Good guy should get a chance somewhere else.

Wathall is a quality, quality guy. I brought up his retention before Lick was fired (and I was called out for it).

I hope Chad gets a second chance and is retained.

Don't forget in Lick's absence there was a somewhat noticeable change in substitution patterns and play calling while Chad was filling in.

Wathall is a quality, quality guy. I brought up his retention before Lick was fired (and I was called out for it).

I hope Chad gets a second chance and is retained.

Agreed Stormin...in my opinion, the incoming class is the best we have had for at least five years and maybe more. Sure people can bash them at this point, but time will tell if the recruits prove me right or wrong...if Chad fits Fran's requirements, he should be given the chance.

I'm confident that Caff won't hire Walthall unless he concludes that he's the best guy available for the job. And if he does reach that conclusion, why should association with the last staff disqualify him? We already know he has some good things going for him: Decent recruiting ties to Rising Starts and 43 Hoops, and good relationships with current players.

Chad would have no shot unless Caff was convinced he can buy into the way Caff wants to play, and can teach that style. I'd be fine with Chad being hired.

Having said that, I think it's a long shot because I think the only fit for Chad would be as the #1, and that spot is more likely to be filled by someone with whom Caff is already acquainted or has worked with in the past.

I'm happy to have Francis and really hope we're able to hire Rodell Davis for another slot. A #1 with some recruiting ties of his own and the confidence of the HC would be gravy.

I'm confident that Caff won't hire Walthall unless he concludes that he's the best guy available for the job. And if he does reach that conclusion, why should association with the last staff disqualify him? We already know he has some good things going for him: Decent recruiting ties to Rising Starts and 43 Hoops, and good relationships with current players.

Chad would have no shot unless Caff was convinced he can buy into the way Caff wants to play, and can teach that style. I'd be fine with Chad being hired.

Having said that, I think it's a long shot because I think the only fit for Chad would be as the #1, and that spot is more likely to be filled by someone with whom Caff is already acquainted or has worked with in the past.

I'm happy to have Francis and really hope we're able to hire Rodell Davis for another slot. A #1 with some recruiting ties of his own and the confidence of the HC would be gravy.

McCaffery told the Register a week ago that he doesn’t designate members of his staff the No. 1 assistant, the No. 2 assistant or the No. 3 assistant.
“They all do the same thing,â€￾ McCaffery said.

McCaffery told the Register a week ago that he doesn’t designate members of his staff the No. 1 assistant, the No. 2 assistant or the No. 3 assistant.
“They all do the same thing,â€￾ McCaffery said.

They will not all be paid the same, so even if he doesn't designate them by 1, 2, or 3 their pay scale will.

I'd love to see Horner as a GA. I think it is a good move that has a realistic chance of happening. It'd be good for both Iowa and Horner. Is there a timetable for his staff to be set?

I'd love to see Horner as a GA. I think it is a good move that has a realistic chance of happening. It'd be good for both Iowa and Horner. Is there a timetable for his staff to be set?

I thought I read something earlier in the week saying that a GA has to be enrolled full-time in graduate school at the university. And that he has to complete something like 24 semester hours per academic year.

If that is the case I dont know how interested Horner would be in the GA position.

I thought I read something earlier in the week saying that a GA has to be enrolled full-time in graduate school at the university. And that he has to complete something like 24 semester hours per academic year.

If that is the case I dont know how interested Horner would be in the GA position.

I think they have to complete 24 hours over 2 years. He is probably interested as a way to get in if that is the only option. My bet is he is ready to actually start a full-time profession and get paid to do so and wants one of the 3, 2 now, asst spots. If he just graduated then a GA spot would be the best but he is 25-26 now, time to start working:)

I don't know if it's true but I heard somewhere that Lavin might hire Dunlap at St. Johns.

That would be smart of Lavin.

Dunlap would be a slam-dunk hire for us....heck, I wanted him hired as OUR coach not only recently, but 3 years ago.

Latest posts