Francis officially the first assistant

I'm confident that Caff won't hire Walthall unless he concludes that he's the best guy available for the job. And if he does reach that conclusion, why should association with the last staff disqualify him? We already know he has some good things going for him: Decent recruiting ties to Rising Starts and 43 Hoops, and good relationships with current players.

Chad would have no shot unless Caff was convinced he can buy into the way Caff wants to play, and can teach that style. I'd be fine with Chad being hired.

Having said that, I think it's a long shot because I think the only fit for Chad would be as the #1, and that spot is more likely to be filled by someone with whom Caff is already acquainted or has worked with in the past.

I'm happy to have Francis and really hope we're able to hire Rodell Davis for another slot. A #1 with some recruiting ties of his own and the confidence of the HC would be gravy.
I think Francis will be his "number 1".

That would be smart of Lavin.

Dunlap would be a slam-dunk hire for us....heck, I wanted him hired as OUR coach not only recently, but 3 years ago.

Well, it seems it is "official".....Dunlap HAS been hired by Lavin. We missed the boat on Dunlap AGAIN.

Watch out for St. John's.

Didn't I read in the Gazette that Acie Earl is getting a Master's at Iowa and is also an assistant basketball coach for Solon?

Why aren't we throwing his name out for grad assistant? How awesome would that be? Acie holding a clipboard, handing out towels and water bottles during timeouts...

It'd be nice to finally get a big man in the program again, even if only for practice purposes.

Also, one of my Iowa City friends just told me Acie gets his jeans dry cleaned out by the Sycamore Mall. Neither here nor there, but that's the kind of info you're not going to find in the Register, Gazette or Press Citizen.

First of all, I realize Francis has been in the fold from day one. I was not trying to throw out something crazy here. Just passing along info that I had. I specifically said, "take it for what it's worth."

I apologize to you, columbus, and to you, Mr. Miller. I guess I am not allowed to do such a thing. God forbid that someone around here posts something before Jon. Go ahead everyone, get in line to kiss Jon's backside and take shots at me.

I will go take my "timeout." (as soon as I get 'banned')

Not sure why the unfair shot at Jon. I couldn't see where he criticized you... Your beef should be with Columbus. That was the guy that freaked out about the word official.

BTW...OFFICIAL>>>OFFICIAL>>>OFFICIAL. Wonder if Columbus will need to take some meds to recover from seeing three official's in a row?

Agree, Walthall had a chance at Iowa and it didn't work out for him. He has some descent recruits he has been responsible for but all everyone has been saying is that they are not BIG TIME recruits. Cut all ties and move on. Good guy should get a chance somewhere else.

Agree. I feel like it's time for a "Hayden Fry" type of transition. Change the coaches. Change the uniforms. Change everything associated with losing.

I think the only fit for Chad would be as the #1, and that spot is more likely to be filled by someone with whom Caff is already acquainted or has worked with in the past.

Why wouldn't something other than the top assistant be a fit for Chad? Where else is he going to go for a better gig? His resume isn't exactly a jaw-dropper.

Didn't I read in the Gazette that Acie Earl is getting a Master's at Iowa and is also an assistant basketball coach for Solon?

Why aren't we throwing his name out for grad assistant? How awesome would that be? Acie holding a clipboard, handing out towels and water bottles during timeouts...

It'd be nice to finally get a big man in the program again, even if only for practice purposes.

Also, one of my Iowa City friends just told me Acie gets his jeans dry cleaned out by the Sycamore Mall. Neither here nor there, but that's the kind of info you're not going to find in the Register, Gazette or Press Citizen.

Cuz I would think that Acie has a job too. To be a grad asst that in itself is a full time job, that is why it is usually a player that just graduated a year or two ago because they can get away with the small amount of money they get.

Either that or a former NBA player who invested his cash wisely.

If Acie is already in grad school and coaching high school for fun on the side (and getting his jeans dry cleaned!), I'd think he could get by as a grad assistant for a year or two.

I thought I read something earlier in the week saying that a GA has to be enrolled full-time in graduate school at the university. And that he has to complete something like 24 semester hours per academic year.

If that is the case I dont know how interested Horner would be in the GA position.

No link, but I thought I had read an article on the Horner possibility saying he would be open to a GA position. I assume he knows what that entails.

Latest posts