Fran will win some games at Iowa

HomerChampless

I like Fran's hire alot. He's interested in winning games. He doesn't purport himself to be a life coach. After all, he recruited Hubbard.

Being a life coach excites way too many on this board. IMO, Norm Parker and KF are so loved because they are life coaches. That's also why so many were against the recruitment of Hubbard. That's why, IMO, the previous coach to Fran was hired.

Last edited:
A life coach is a coach that teaches athletes how to succeed in life. Preferably, the philosophy taught by the life coach agrees with the fan base.

The thing I like about this thread is its bold prediction. Really, who could predict that the guy who brought us from our worst-ever season to the NIT in two years might win some games? This is some Nostradum-level stuff right here.

I wouldn't under sell Fran like that. Yeah, he's taking the program in a positive direction and is creating a thirst for winning. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Fran doesn't care how his players are maturing as men. I have no reason not to believe Fran is every bit the "life coach" Kirk is.

Luckily Fran is not a spring chicken and his kids are getting to an age they want to be somewhere stable. Plus we will bump his salary when required.

What kind of relation does John Calipari of Kentucky have with his players?

One that's a helluva lot better than any relation Lickliter had with his players (outside of his son, of course).

Fran does care about helping his players grow as people, too. He wants to win, no doubt. But life lessons are a little easier to teach when you're having some success. Don't fool yourself into thinking that Fran is unaware of the fact that there is life beyond basketball.

It's just the beginning. My thought is: how long can Iowa hold on to Fran before other big name programs come calling?
If Fran were a younger man I would be worried but when he is done turning this program around he will spend the next decade in Iowa City with his family......rememebr his kids are young yet and with Fran's skills on the court maybe his kids got that ability to and Iowa can have a White Magic on their roster!!

One that's a helluva lot better than any relation Lickliter had with his players (outside of his son, of course).

Fran does care about helping his players grow as people, too. He wants to win, no doubt. But life lessons are a little easier to teach when you're having some success. Don't fool yourself into thinking that Fran is unaware of the fact that there is life beyond basketball.

this is what i don't understand:

from all accounts Lick was a really, really nice guy. A humble guy, a quiet guy. What was the deal with how he related to the players? Its not like he was a first time coach, he had experience. Blows me away that he just couldn't get the kids to by in, in fact drove most of them away.

Spank, you got any inside info on this? It really does interest me.

Do you think Fran's life philosophy agrees with the fan base? It seems this is real important to many on this board.

What exactly do you mean by life philosophy? Are you referring to him throwing chairs and yelling? Other than the on court stuff, we have no idea what kind of personal relationships he's building with his players. The players seem to respect him and respect is one of the biggest life lessons one can learn.

Latest posts