Fran will win some games at Iowa

So the fear is we may lose Fran after being a 7 seed in the NIT??? I think you can find better things to worry about.

this is what i don't understand:

from all accounts Lick was a really, really nice guy. A humble guy, a quiet guy. What was the deal with how he related to the players? Its not like he was a first time coach, he had experience. Blows me away that he just couldn't get the kids to by in, in fact drove most of them away.

Spank, you got any inside info on this? It really does interest me.

From everything I've heard, he just didn't really try to connect with the players at all. Kind of the old school deal where the assistants were the ones players had relatively close relationships with, and the head coach remained detached (think Herb Brooks in Miracle, only Lickliter didn't have the coaching chops to earn the players' respect like Brooks did).

from all accounts Lick was a really, really nice guy. A humble guy, a quiet guy. What was the deal with how he related to the players? Its not like he was a first time coach, he had experience. Blows me away that he just couldn't get the kids to by in, in fact drove most of them away.

I don't think anyone will ever have a definitive answer to this. But I sort of get the feeling that Lick regretted leaving Butler pretty much the moment he signed his contract. He left a great, great job, had a tough start at Iowa, and just seemed kind of in mourning for the rest of his time here. That's not an excuse, it's just the way I read the situation.

It is my understanding that he just showed up for practice & left immediately afterwards. Lick just never tried to establish relationships with the players.

Also, many of the players were upset with the Tucker situation. The players thought Tucker was being treated unfairly.

If Fran were a younger man I would be worried but when he is done turning this program around he will spend the next decade in Iowa City with his family......rememebr his kids are young yet and with Fran's skills on the court maybe his kids got that ability to and Iowa can have a White Magic on their roster!!

Not sure about basketball, but the word is that Fran's son is one of the best youth baseball players in the state, plays on a USSSA team that is one of the best around. I have never seen him play but another coach I know pretty well says he is the real deal and one hell of an athlete.

I like Fran's hire alot. He's interested in winning games. He doesn't purport himself to be a life coach. After all, he recruited Hubbard.

Being a life coach excites way too many on this board. IMO, Norm Parker and KF are so loved because they are life coaches. That's also why so many were against the recruitment of Hubbard. That's why, IMO, the previous coach to Fran was hired.

Totally agree. I remember that one time when Kirk won the Orange Bowl, and the next day, all anyone on this board could talk about was how Angerer called his grandma every year on Valentine's Day and that Moeaki never left his dirty socks on the floor of the locker room.

I also recall that one time Wisconsin converted a fake punt and beat us in Kinnick. I was really mad, but everyone on this board seemed to ignore the outcome, and only wanted to compliment Kirk for emphasizing that the loss was a great learning opportunity for his young players.

I catch your sarcasm, lingerie. Have you also noted coaches like KF and Norm Parker are given more 'passes' on this board for some of their, IMO, bad performances than other coaches of different philosophies?

For example, more posters on this board, IMO, blamed poor special teams play for the loss to Wisky in 2010 than the fact the defense couldn't stop them for over 50 yards after the special teams mishap or that the defense gave up 31 points in the game.

When did college, in this case, college athletics, stop functioning as a place for young individuals to learn, grow, and prepare for the next phase of life and being a productive member of society?

Learning how to compete at that level, learning how to win, lose, be a leader, ignoring the critics that are not in the arena are what college and college athletics teach or should.

If you dont think Ferentz, Fran, Doyle, assisstants, etc. are not driven to win, and compete for BT and National championships, you are crazy. If winning by breaking NCAA rules, not caring if the student athlete gets an education, or not interested that the student athlete is prepared to be successful when their time is done in college... then I would suggest becoming a fan of another team (SEC would be a good place to look for a new team). That is not what the coaches, AD, or University of Iowa are about.

After Lick's last Big Ten Tournament, as they were walking to the locker room in the tunnel, Lick looked at Matt Gatens and told him he played a good game. This was the first time Lick had spoke to Gatens since he had been there. This is straight from Mike Gatens.

It's what you say and how you say it, not what you put in your bio that I'm commenting on.

You're determining who I am from my colloquialisms? I infer from your post you consider someone who uses colloquialisms to be uneducated? Like saying crick for creek and ruff for roof?

I like Fran's hire alot. He's interested in winning games. He doesn't purport himself to be a life coach. After all, he recruited Hubbard. Being a life coach excites way too many on this board. IMO, Norm Parker and KF are so loved because they are life coaches. That's also why so many were against the recruitment of Hubbard. That's why, IMO, the previous coach to Fran was hired.

life coaches what do they know? you can win and be a life coach and any coach that doesnt try to teach kids how to be productive in society isnt doing their whole job (unless they are pro coaches). coach k wins and he seems to be a life coach. having 1 and done players doesnt mean you cant be a life coach but think of the message calipari sends that he is the only coach to have banners taken down at 2 colleges.

fran is a life coach if you watch how these kids act on and off the court he is teaching them thingd that matter outside of bball. you can be fiery and still be that considering bobby knight was a life coach type. i had no problem with hubbard because the life coach in fran did his checking to make sure he could trust the kid or he wouldnt of done it because it would have been a move that could have cost him his job if it had blown up in his face.

whether you like them or not you must respect coaches who put life ahead of bball (or any sport) and want to teach their players how to be productive in the world. that is why i respect kf and coach k and bobby knight. but i will never respect someone like calipari.

Foval21;751130 coach k and bobby knight. but i will never respect someone like calipari.[/QUOTE said:
My god you obviously don't follow college basketball much other than Vitale and other talking heads.

Coach K and Bobby Knight are pieces of garbage, don't be fooled by the BS you hear about those guys. Those guys are absolute pieces of garbage. There are so many stories about those guys who the ESPN guys and their media buddies will not tell you.

Don't be fooled.

Actually Calipari has a good reputation in terms of interacting with his players which is one major reason guys want to play for him. Don't be fooled numerous teams offer these players money they go to Calipari because of all the good things that past players say about him.

he didnt come here to put his head in his head! he came here to bodyslam tom izzo,bo ryan,and thad matta he already kicked bruce weber`s ***

Last edited:
calipari cheats. how is that a good thing. getting players who cant qualify for school but somehow get in and is proven later. just because players like you doesnt mean you are a good coach sometimes the best coaches are the jerks because they teach you the most. calipari puts winning ahead of the players becoming great people. if he never wins a national championship i will be glad. i follow basketball more than most and understand the game better than most ever think they do. i have gone to camps that knight and k were at and have met them. they both say they want to make men who play basketball. calipari wants basketball players that win games and then go pro before they can get caught cheating.

Latest posts