Fran will win some games at Iowa

Non-conservatives <noun>, heck, most people wouldn't consider Bobby Knight to be a good life coach because he taught the wrong lessons.

The notion a coach must teach life lessons that agree with the fan base to be popular with this fan base was introduced early in this thread by me, but seems to be lost or ignored by many posters.

What exactly do you mean by life philosophy? Are you referring to him throwing chairs and yelling? Other than the on court stuff, we have no idea what kind of personal relationships he's building with his players. The players seem to respect him and respect is one of the biggest life lessons one can learn.

False. From the beginning Fran has stated that his home will be open to players and they will be over for meeting/meals. It's a family atmosphere. It's no secret that Lickliter's stance was basically the opposite of this. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which coach is going to bond more with his players.

I like Fran's hire alot. He's interested in winning games. He doesn't purport himself to be a life coach. After all, he recruited Hubbard.

Being a life coach excites way too many on this board. IMO, Norm Parker and KF are so loved because they are life coaches. That's also why so many were against the recruitment of Hubbard. That's why, IMO, the previous coach to Fran was hired.

Did you ever consider that the recruitment of Hubbard could be seen as the epitome of being a life coach? Here is a guy that made a (huge) mistake and has since tried to turn his life around. Look at Fran bringing him here as another step on his path to redemption. That is a life coach for you.

What kind of relation does John Calipari of Kentucky have with his players?

The kind where the player knows their coach won't attempt to convince him to come back after his freshman year as long as he plays his freshman year.

Last edited:
Did you ever consider that the recruitment of Hubbard could be seen as the epitome of being a life coach? Here is a guy that made a (huge) mistake and has since tried to turn his life around. Look at Fran bringing him here as another step on his path to redemption. That is a life coach for you.

I'm not sayin' Fran isn't a good life coach, I'm sayin' many on this board didn't agree with Fran recruiting Hubbard because he was a felon.. I'm sayin' (referencing all the Calipari cracks in this thread) Iowa's life coach must teach life lessons that agree with most on this board.

I'm also sayin' winning should be as, if not more, important than teaching life lessons. IMO, this doesn't seem true on this board, and may be why many on this board justify the mediocrity of some of Iowa's programs. The team may not be very good but the coach teaches some good life lessons, so it's all good.

I love when sports fans pretend like they know someone because they watch a team play sports on TV.

Latest posts