Fran quietly putting together a nice 24 class

Meh. What do you really expect against a no name school. Fran is good but he is a player developer and coaches a scheme that has a really high floor with a ceiling not much higher. People don’t have much hope that iowa could contend for a regular season big ten title or sweet 16. If there was reason to believe Iowas attendance would likely be closed to women’s program.

1999 was the last time iowa played with the last 16 teams. 1979 was the last time they big ten regular season champs. Fran has done good things, but average accomplishments really. A great program doesn’t go this long without sweet16. Don’t blame fans…
No, blame the effing mongoloids that chased off the winningest coach in school history. They are to blame for the dramatic debacle of Alford and the disaster of Lickliter, the NCoY when hired. Alford was supposed to be the guy to take Iowa to the next level. Hottest coach that year. We can say the gutter was another level all right, and Lickliter couldn't see over the curb.

That's why continuity and consistency are important when you find it.

That's an unusually busy schedule so you get a bye on this one. What do you coach?
Club Soccer year round, Jr. High Soccer in the spring. and helped out with Jr. High basketball last year. Hopefully won't get a call this year about helping out with basketball. Got roped into basketball last year as they got a new coach and I'd worked with the 7th grade in the past so kind of pulled in to help him out. New coach this year ( who I'd also worked with in the past) but not nearly as green and has coached this group before so hopefully not needed otherwise I'm sure I'll find myself helping out if asked.

I go back to the middle of the BJ, Roy and Ed days. 88 and 89 seasons were kinda the beginning of my fandom.
Bruce sky King, Tommy Norman, Dick Pathe(?) Ronnie Lester. Yes you had to watch where you stepped not to step in dinosaur shit.

Club Soccer year round, Jr. High Soccer in the spring. and helped out with Jr. High basketball last year. Hopefully won't get a call this year about helping out with basketball. Got roped into basketball last year as they got a new coach and I'd worked with the 7th grade in the past so kind of pulled in to help him out. New coach this year ( who I'd also worked with in the past) but not nearly as green and has coached this group before so hopefully not needed otherwise I'm sure I'll find myself helping out if asked.
Cool, you guys give a lot back to a lot of kids. My kids played traveling AAU baseball and ASA softball for about 12 years. Coaches put in a lot of work. Good on you.

Cool, you guys give a lot back to a lot of kids. My kids played traveling AAU baseball and ASA softball for about 12 years. Coaches put in a lot of work. Good on you.
Appreciate it. It's definitely something you have to put the time, energy, and education in to be good at, but I love every second of it on the soccer side as I've been involved with the sport since I was 4 and its my passion. Basketball I do for the school and the kids. By no means will I continue to coach basketball at the high school level, but luckily I've had great coaches and worked with great coaches along the way to simply be there to help out and let them run the show lol.

Correct about the Kohl Center. But the Kohl has one huge advantage that Carver doesn't. Numerous bars and restaurants withing easy wasking distance, even if they did close down my beloved Buckingham's

I've gone to games at Carver for forty years. Never had an issue with the arena itself. But it's going to be tough to draw against the most famous college basketball player on the planet, male or female. My wife and I earlier tonight looked into getting tickets for the Iowa women's game in Madison in December and they were severely jacked up.

When the women draw fourteen five for their first game and the men half that much it's noticeable. Add wrestling and most consumers can only stretch their leisure dollars so far.
The women just played in a national title game last season and wrestling won one in 2021. I’ve enjoyed Fran as their coach but if he wants more fans at the games he has to show them there is hope in the big dance. Fran develops players well, great regular season coach, but outside of that big ten tournament win he hasn’t really put together a march resume that is note worthy beyond appearances. Too often Iowa is a shell of themselves in big games and that just doesn't win many fan support.

The attendance for decent opponents for a team that hasn’t been to a sweet 16 in 25 years is not something to complain about. Fran is right that we could improve a lot though. From concession offerings, adding suites, and bring students closer to court.

Latest posts