Fran quietly putting together a nice 24 class

I checked 247 and they have us ranked 70 8 spots below Northwestern?
Fran can coach some exciting offense Just hasn't been able to recruit at Iowa (other than legacy players) and just doesn't know how to coach defense

Shortly after Tadjo committed I did just a little looking into him and he really does sound like a heck of a talent. Basketball in Canada is no joke and he's really highly ranked up there. Fran got himself one with him. And of course Koch can shoot and play Frans style.

Fran can coach some exciting offense Just hasn't been able to recruit at Iowa (other than legacy players) and just doesn't know how to coach defense
LOL, legacy players .... He recruited the NPOY out of Washington DC and are these the same legacy players that Iowa fans lost their shit about when we signed them?

You are right 247 has us a respectable 35. It was Rivals that had us at 70
Still Fran has never been able to get those top 50 players. He has had some that should have been top 50 but they were not rated that high when being recruited

Bottom line is that March is when it counts for most basketball fans. Iowa in Fran's tenure has not been successful in March and it doesn't look promising to change that trend this year

You are right 247 has us a respectable 35. It was Rivals that had us at 70
Still Fran has never been able to get those top 50 players. He has had some that should have been top 50 but they were not rated that high when being recruited

Bottom line is that March is when it counts for most basketball fans. Iowa in Fran's tenure has not been successful in March and it doesn't look promising to change that trend this year
I agree that Fran has not been successful in the Tourney, however the recruiting has been fine. Unfortunately, like Cpt. Kirk, the system is broke.

I agree that Fran has not been successful in the Tourney, however the recruiting has been fine. Unfortunately, like Cpt. Kirk, the system is broke.
Defense remains his Achilles for some reason. He has some strong front court players in the program, maybe they can turn it around.

Fran has had 3 straight NPOY candidates all with different names the past 3 years, the recruiting has been fine but could you imagine having 5 straight NCAA eligible teams and to have to play to an arena that is a 1/3rd full every night? If I were Fran, would have left a long time ago, it's not Fran's that's the problem

Fran has had 3 straight NPOY candidates all with different names the past 3 years, the recruiting has been fine but could you imagine having 5 straight NCAA eligible teams and to have to play to an arena that is a 1/3rd full every night? If I were Fran, would have left a long time ago, it's not Fran's that's the problem
So Alford was right after all - It is a football school.

Both programs are set on retirement cruise. Going 50 miles an hour in 65 mph speed zone. Our coaches are stuffed like pigs, sitting on a recliner on Thanksgiving evening with a warm blanket. Neither one is hungry at this point. Good programs and steady too.

Fran’s teams of course are offensive based and have generally been lacking defensive discipline. Kirk’s teams are just the opposite.

For anyone to criticize the Iowa fan base is outlandish. When was the last time either program won a conference title let alone a national title.

Fran at least broken through when he won a tournament title against Purdue, but then shit the bed as usual in March. Like so many have pointed out, march is what most fans live for in basketball.

Iowa fans have been great over the DECADES. One poster on here had the audacity to criticize the fan base and blame them for top recruits leaving the football program because the fans forced Brian out. That’s rich.

The fact that Brian has the worst offense in college football has nothing to do top recruits leaving???? Frans is a DIM Witt. DIM (Dead in March).

Oh, both programs are good, but haven’t been great. Beating the weak cupcakes on a schedule and then beating the lower half sports programs in your conference is nothing to be proud of. In football it meets Iowa fans expectations of an eight win plus season. No titles, no championships, just “steady as she goes” cruise controlled programs.

So to cover this lack of greatness some fans come on and point fingers at programs whose cruise control is broken, puffing their chest out and bragging about how great their cruise control is as we cruise down the interstate going 50 in a 65 mph zone. Pointing at broken down programs sitting on the shoulder and saying how lucky we are not to be those guys.

Being critical of the Iowa fan base is ridiculous. We have been amongst the most tolerant fan bases in college sports…………. TO A FAULT.

Last edited:
Both programs are set on retirement cruise. Going 50 miles an hour in 65 mph speed zone. Our coaches are stuffed line pigs, sitting on a recliner on Thanksgiving evening with a warm blanket. Neither one is hungry at this point. Good programs and steady too.

Fran’s teams of course are offensive based and have generally been lacking defensive discipline. Kirk’s teams are just the opposite.

For anyone to criticize the Iowa fan base is outlandish. When was the last time either program won a conference title let alone a national title.

Fran at least broken through when he won a tournament title against Purdue, but then shit the bed as usual in March. Like so many have pointed out, march is what most fans live for in basketball.

Iowa fans have been great over the DECADES. One poster on here had the audacity to criticize the fan base and blame them for top recruits leaving the football program because the fans forced Brian out. That’s rich.

The fact that Brian has the worst offense in college football has nothing to do top recruits leaving???? Frans is a DIM Witt. DIM (Dead in March).

Oh, both programs are good, but haven’t been great. Beating the weak cupcakes on a schedule and then beating the lower half sports programs in your conference is nothing to be proud of. In football it meets Iowa fans expectations of an eight win plus season. No titles, no championships, just “steady as she goes” cruise controlled programs.

So to cover this lack of greatness some fans come on and point fingers at programs whose cruise control is broken, puffing their chest out and bragging about how great their cruise control is as we cruise down the interstate going 50 in a 65 mph zone. Pointing at broken down programs sitting on the shoulder and saying how lucky we are not to be those guys.

Being critical of the Iowa fan base is ridiculous. We have been amongst the most tolerant fan bases in college sports…………. TO A FAULT.
Fran's teams have been competitive against every team in the conference.

So Alford was right after all - It is a football school.
Check out the attendance numbers... Yeah That's a safe bet for sure. Sounded like last nights game only had like 7500ish folks. That's pretty bad for what should be a decent team and no weather issues for traveling. I bet they'll be way more fun to watch then the football team. Yet they struggle to draw crowds

Check out the attendance numbers... Yeah That's a safe bet for sure. Sounded like last nights game only had like 7500ish folks. That's pretty bad for what should be a decent team and no weather issues for traveling. I bet they'll be way more fun to watch then the football team. Yet they struggle to draw crowds
Have your seen the home schedule? Beyond awful. Yes, good for a young team but gonna be some Boring games. Not a ranked team until conference season starts. The road games will be a test. Not going to sell out like the ladies. Unathletic guys shooting 3's and playing bad defense doesn't demand attendance. This team will struggle badly on the road, rebounding is gonna be their main weakness along with interior defense. One athlete on the NDS team was head and shoulders better than any of the Hawks. Love the Hawks but this is a rebuilding year. I say this as a fan who picked Iowa to finish in the top 5 in the Big for the last 3 years. Not this year, but that's OK the journey is part of the fun. I really like the freshman.

Only having 2 recruits doesn't help rankings.

Have your seen the home schedule? Beyond awful. Yes, good for a young team but gonna be some Boring games. Not a ranked team until conference season starts. The road games will be a test. Not going to sell out like the ladies. Unathletic guys shooting 3's and playing bad defense doesn't demand attendance. This team will struggle badly on the road, rebounding is gonna be their main weakness along with interior defense. One athlete on the NDS team was head and shoulders better than any of the Hawks. Love the Hawks but this is a rebuilding year. I say this as a fan who picked Iowa to finish in the top 5 in the Big for the last 3 years. Not this year, but that's OK the journey is part of the fun. I really like the freshman.
We were just ranked in the top 5 for most of the year a couple years ago and fans still didn't pack the place.

We were just ranked in the top 5 for most of the year a couple years ago and fans still didn't pack the place.
Doesn’t matter if they win, have exciting basketball, good players …. Doesn’t matter. Some invisible force field of an excuse about a Sweet 16 which would be realistically just an extra basketball game is bullshit. If Iowa makes a S16 this year, next year ain’t nobody showing up.

At this point it’s the fans not the product, no one cares about IA hoops.

Latest posts