Fran quietly putting together a nice 24 class

The women look like a team that made the final four last season. We have a very clean start compared to last year. There is quite a bit of talent on the bench it appears.

Men, rise to the challange!
They're going to give Creighton every bit of it tomorrow night I think. Fran's teams play well early in the year against some teams we didn't see Iowa doing well at right?

I feel like Fran get's his teams as ready as anyone to start a season and I'm hopeful that continues

Think
@ Virginia 75-74
@ Seton Hall 83-67
V #12 TT 72-61
V #13 Oregon 77-69
@ Marquette 89-61
@ #12 UNC 60-55
@ Syracuse 68-54

I don't think we're attracting enough young fans. Obviously they have more diversions with everythin growing up post millennial but I remember being in middle school and high school and watching Iowa hoops was appointment TV. That carried over to attending games.
I agree, but now kids have so much more going on and due to broadcast schedules the tip off times aren't nearly as convenient as they once were. To be honest I don't know how it can even be comparable to football. Football is a weekend (for the most part) sport where you're not finding games scheduled on week nights when there's not only logistic and travel issues, but everything else that can be crammed into a week night.

I'd venture to say you'd see Kinnick looking like Carver if you scheduled weeknight games and late starts on a regular basis on those nights. I'm not saying Iowa isn't a football school, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that its easier making a day out of a football game on a Saturday afternoon (or evening) for the majority of the fanbase then getting the family to Carver on a week night.

I'll admit I'm one of those households that commitments every night of the week with practices for one sport or another and my weekend's are full with either club soccer in the fall and spring or basketball tournaments in the winter. I rarely can squeeze a game into my schedule, but won't ever miss a game (football or basketball) and the only times my kids miss a game is when they simply get home too late and can't find a time to watch it before bed. I'm with you with it being appt. TV growing up, but I think the love is still there its just that kids now have so much more going on then we did.

I agree, but now kids have so much more going on and due to broadcast schedules the tip off times aren't nearly as convenient as they once were. To be honest I don't know how it can even be comparable to football. Football is a weekend (for the most part) sport where you're not finding games scheduled on week nights when there's not only logistic and travel issues, but everything else that can be crammed into a week night.

I'd venture to say you'd see Kinnick looking like Carver if you scheduled weeknight games and late starts on a regular basis on those nights. I'm not saying Iowa isn't a football school, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that its easier making a day out of a football game on a Saturday afternoon (or evening) for the majority of the fanbase then getting the family to Carver on a week night.

I'll admit I'm one of those households that commitments every night of the week with practices for one sport or another and my weekend's are full with either club soccer in the fall and spring or basketball tournaments in the winter. I rarely can squeeze a game into my schedule, but won't ever miss a game (football or basketball) and the only times my kids miss a game is when they simply get home too late and can't find a time to watch it before bed. I'm with you with it being appt. TV growing up, but I think the love is still there its just that kids now have so much more going on then we did.

Teenage eyes are glued to their smartphones

There is literally nothing else

There is also a travel time factor

Going from DM and back home

Looking at 7/8 hours in the Winter

Plus watching the game in 4K on a large screen is a factor also

Stlll nothing matches being at Carver screaming at the zebras and cheering
the Lads on

:cool:

Last edited:
Teenage eyes are glued to their smartphones

There is literally nothing else
For down time yes. Fortunately my oldest's (who's 13) still puts sports and friends above phones. Phones comes in a distant third and generally is only a time filler when there's nothing going on as opposed to an obsession. Wish I could say the same for my 9 year old and my youngest who turns 4 in 2 weeks.

Absolutely. The only reason I can have a season tic for men’s’ BB is that I am retired.

I checked 247 and they have us ranked 70 8 spots below Northwestern?
Fran can coach some exciting offense Just hasn't been able to recruit at Iowa (other than legacy players) and just doesn't know how to coach defense
Aaron White, no legacy.
Jared Uthoff, no legacy (of which I know).
Mike Gesell (sp?), no legacy
Adam Woodbury, no legacy.
Peter Jok, no legacy.
Tyler Cook, no legacy.
Luka Garza, no legacy.
Joey W, no legacy.
Peyton Sandfort, no legacy
Josh Dix, no legacy
Dasonte Bowen, no legacy.

Filip Rebraca, no legacy.

The newcomers.
Owen Freeman, no legacy.
Ladji Demble, no legacy.
Brock Harding, no legacy.

Alford and Lickliter broke the habit of watching Iowa. Alford came to Iowa under a blood moon and created drama and personal antipathy. No one ever really liked Alford and the average fan became increasingly disinterested in Iowa basketball, especially in bad freezing weather. Lickliter's disaster drug us from the curb to the gutter. Somewhere in those 11 years Iowans lost interest in Iowa basketball.

Home Run? Build a new arena with all the 21st century expectations for amenities. That would cost some dough, but it certainly would increase attendance and probably recruiting.

Double? Start with making student tickets free. Sit the students strategically behind the visitor's bench. Two or three rows. Most of the older fans would understand the need for growth. Reduce price for "family years" people. Twenty-five to forty-fives; give those people what they think is a reduced price and you'll lure several more hundred people to games. Offer more amenities and more parking. By amenities I mean liquor stocked with options like a portable bar. Get some better food, in food trucks and kiosks inside the arena.

Single? At least try harder to market. Reduce the cost of every ticket until the arena is sold out. Put a neon sign posting the cost of tickets updated every minute. A gimmick that might draw people out of sheer novelty. Not forever but until we see an uptick in season ticket sales.

Market the DSM metro much harder. Play an exhibition game up here before the season. This is where the people and money are in Iowa. Throw some love this way and maybe more people will make the drive.

We are stuck with the terrible weather, but that's hardly unique to Iowa.

What we know is Iowa MBB has an attendance and enthusiasm problem. Doing the same things every year and expecting different results is insane. I'm not saying anything above is the full answer, or even doable, but the answer cannot be a dilemma, more winning is the answer for fans but how do you win more with unfilled seats. Some outside the box thinking needs to occur.​

Alford and Lickliter broke the habit of watching Iowa. Alford came to Iowa under a blood moon and created drama and personal antipathy. No one ever really liked Alford and the average fan became increasingly disinterested in Iowa basketball, especially in bad freezing weather. Lickliter's disaster drug us from the curb to the gutter. Somewhere in those 11 years Iowans lost interest in Iowa basketball.

Home Run? Build a new arena with all the 21st century expectations for amenities. That would cost some dough, but it certainly would increase attendance and probably recruiting.

Double? Start with making student tickets free. Sit the students strategically behind the visitor's bench. Two or three rows. Most of the older fans would understand the need for growth. Reduce price for "family years" people. Twenty-five to forty-fives; give those people what they think is a reduced price and you'll lure several more hundred people to games. Offer more amenities and more parking. By amenities I mean liquor stocked with options like a portable bar. Get some better food, in food trucks and kiosks inside the arena.

Single? At least try harder to market. Reduce the cost of every ticket until the arena is sold out. Put a neon sign posting the cost of tickets updated every minute. A gimmick that might draw people out of sheer novelty. Not forever but until we see an uptick in season ticket sales.

Market the DSM metro much harder. Play an exhibition game up here before the season. This is where the people and money are in Iowa. Throw some love this way and maybe more people will make the drive.

What we know is Iowa MBB has an attendance and enthusiasm problem. Doing the same things every year and expecting different results is insane. I'm not saying anything above is the full answer, or even doable, but the answer cannot be a dilemma, more winning is the answer for fans but how do you win more with unfilled seats. Some outside the box thinking needs to occur.​

Most Excellent, Teddy

:cool:

Or.....Just ask the women how they sold the place out for the entire season. LOL

Or.....Just ask the women how they sold the place out for the entire season. LOL
Iowa has had generational talent on their team the last 3 years with both Murrays and Luka Garza. Hasn't mattered and there is some sort of line of thinking that if Iowa would play just 1 more game at the end of the year, somehow THAT is going to bring everyone back to Carver.

Iowa has had generational talent on their team the last 3 years with both Murrays and Luka Garza. Hasn't mattered and there is some sort of line of thinking that if Iowa would play just 1 more game at the end of the year, somehow THAT is going to bring everyone back to Carver.
Bring everyone back to carver the following year with a new team since it's too late to watch the team who won that one extra game the year before. Makes sense.

Teddy knows what's up. I agree us 40 plus somethings that are old enough to remember the Mr. Davis days are fortunate but good golly that was a long time ago already. The 35s and under crowd just can't even relate. The bad taste of the Alford/Lickliter eras still has residual effects as bad as that may sound. Yes Fran has been here awhile but he hasn't been able to totally overcome all that. Probably due to his lack of post season success largely. It's not hardly fair to Fran but it is what it is. Other programs have tougher standards to live up to then ours.

I don't see a new arena being built really soon but I agree with Teddy that a new arena with a different seating arrangement would sure cure a lot of what ails in this department. I don't think Fran will be around whenever that finally ends up happening. We might be talking 5 plus yrs before a shovel hits the ground for it. What's gonna happen in the mean time?

Teddy knows what's up. I agree us 40 plus somethings that are old enough to remember the Mr. Davis days are fortunate but good golly that was a long time ago already. The 35s and under crowd just can't even relate. The bad taste of the Alford/Lickliter eras still has residual effects as bad as that may sound. Yes Fran has been here awhile but he hasn't been able to totally overcome all that. Probably due to his lack of post season success largely. It's not hardly fair to Fran but it is what it is. Other programs have tougher standards to live up to then ours.

I don't see a new arena being built really soon but I agree with Teddy that a new arena with a different seating arrangement would sure cure a lot of what ails in this department. I don't think Fran will be around whenever that finally ends up happening. We might be talking 5 plus yrs before a shovel hits the ground for it. What's gonna happen in the mean time?
I'm so old I remember Ralph Miller. Although not very clearly, I was in junior high.