Fran McCaffery Says Hawkeyes Will Rebound from Down Season

RobHowe

Administrator
Iowa coach talks about transfers, filling open scholarships, the future for son, Connor, players testing NBA waters and more:

LINK

Maybe I'm off base, but it sounded like he might use them in the '19 class before he'd use them in the '18 class, unless he found somebody with the right fit in the '18 class. Kinda feels like deja vu for some reason.

Maybe I'm off base, but it sounded like he might use them in the '19 class before he'd use them in the '18 class, unless he found somebody with the right fit in the '18 class. Kinda feels like deja vu for some reason.
Actually in the past he ended up using the scholarships instead of banking them. For instance he took Dailey in the late cycle after a transfer. I think similar happened when we took Trey Dickerson as well.

I’d certainly love to get a grad transfer guard, but I also understand that may be a tough proposition. If we do bank the scholarship we are in on some solid players in the 19 class.

I understood his comments to mean he’s open to all possibilities. If he finds a fit now, he’d go for it. If not, he’ll bank it.

He’s trying to balance the classes as best he can. Also, it might be best to use it/them in ‘19 with Patrick helping recruit. He’s playing in a lot of national events and connecting with really good prospects.

It kinda feels like deja Vu in another way, too. In 2009, after four players transferred out or had Anthony Tucker issues on top of the graduation losses, Lickliter's exact quote was this: "You can be bitter or you can be better. We're going to get better." We were the laughing stock of the league by the second half of 2010.

I say this from the perspective that Moss and Cook are not guaranteed to return. If those hands are back on deck we return nine of our top players intact and add recruits. We should take a leap forward. But will the rest of the league do likewise? I'm hopeful, but probably expecting no better than seventh or eighth place. Prove me wrong, guys!

I wonder why, with two "possible" NBA level players considering the draft...Iowa netted 14 wins...

That seems odd...

Fran has been taken to task for his lack of PG recruiting, but I wonder if the basic problem is this...neither he nor his staff are very adept at coaching, game time, or fundamental coaching.

I found it interesting Jay Wright was discussed. That got me thinking about some of the coaches that turned things around after somewhat hitting bottom around the same time Fran has. Granted using Fran's own quote, their "Body of work" is much better than his at this point and he probably doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same analysis as these guys.

Jay Wright
  • Year 11: 13-19 (5-13)
  • 7 straight NCAA appearances before this point, including a final 4.
  • 6 straight NCAA appearances and 2 titles after this point.
Matt Painter
  • Year 8: 16-18 (8-10)
  • Year 9: 15-17 (5-13)
  • 6 straight NCAA appearances before this point, including 2 sweet sixteens.
  • 4 straight NCAA appearances past this point, including back to back sweet sixteens the last 2 years.
John Beilein
  • Year 8: 16-16 (8-10)
  • 5 NCAA appearances in 6 years before this point, including a title game appearances
  • 3 straight NCAA appearances past this point, including a title game appearance this year.
Fran McCaffery
  • Year 8: 14-19 (4-14)
  • 3 NCAA appearances in 4 years before this point, best finish as round of 32.

I found it interesting Jay Wright was discussed. That got me thinking about some of the coaches that turned things around after somewhat hitting bottom around the same time Fran has. Granted using Fran's own quote, their "Body of work" is much better than his at this point and he probably doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same analysis as these guys.

Jay Wright
Matt Painter
  • 4 straight NCAA appearances past this point, including back to back sweet sixteens the last 2 years.
John Beilein
  • 5 NCAA appearances in 6 years before this point, including a title game appearances
  • 3 straight NCAA appearances past this point, including a title game appearance this year.
Fran McCaffery
He doesn't belong in the same analysis as those guys. Not yet.

What he should be learning from Jay Wright is how to target the right kind of player.

When you watch 'Nova teams, there is one consistency - mental toughness and resolve. His players are focused, tough, and battle-ready. Some of that probably is coaching, but I would propose that a lot of it is the make up of the players he recruits. He looks for that "certain something" that's hard to define, but he knows it when he sees it. His players never hang their heads, and they never wilt under pressure.

Fran is not as bad as many fans make him out to be, but I do think a fair criticism is that perhaps he needs to adjust how he prioritizes traits he looks for in recruits. The passive nice guy wallflower types are never going to put us over the top, and we consistently have too many of them.

I wonder why, with two "possible" NBA level players considering the draft...Iowa netted 14 wins...

That seems odd...

Fran has been taken to task for his lack of PG recruiting, but I wonder if the basic problem is this...neither he nor his staff are very adept at coaching, game time, or fundamental coaching.

possible..being the key word. Not a chance with Moss...and only slightly more with Cook.

That seems odd...

Fran has 2 more years.. Hope it works out.He and Staff got us out of huuge Crater.Now is next. Hope for pg for most obvious concerns.Spring Time is New Leaf....

It kinda feels like deja Vu in another way, too. In 2009, after four players transferred out or had Anthony Tucker issues on top of the graduation losses, Lickliter's exact quote was this: "You can be bitter or you can be better. We're going to get better." We were the laughing stock of the league by the second half of 2010.

I say this from the perspective that Moss and Cook are not guaranteed to return. If those hands are back on deck we return nine of our top players intact and add recruits. We should take a leap forward. But will the rest of the league do likewise? I'm hopeful, but probably expecting no better than seventh or eighth place. Prove me wrong, guys!

Fran also pointed out that we played much better defense in 16-17 than in 17-18 and with essentially the same team. my feeling all along was that this season exposed an achilles heel; perimeter speed/quickness. Fran pointed out that if you look at our offensive numbers, they don't add up with our record. So, we shall see. It almost felt like he was telling us he's challenged his team to commit to defense...not just effort, but execution, and that he believes they'll make that commitment, based on what he's seen so far. But, still need speed and quickness.

I personally don't care when he uses the scholly's, but, when used, they need to fix the problem. I think we'll be surprised how much a healthy Connor will help.

What he should be learning from Jay Wright is how to target the right kind of player.

When you watch 'Nova teams, there is one consistency - mental toughness and resolve. His players are focused, tough, and battle-ready. Some of that probably is coaching, but I would propose that a lot of it is the make up of the players he recruits. He looks for that "certain something" that's hard to define, but he knows it when he sees it. His players never hang their heads, and they never wilt under pressure.

Fran is not as bad as many fans make him out to be, but I do think a fair criticism is that perhaps he needs to adjust how he prioritizes traits he looks for in recruits. The passive nice guy wallflower types are never going to put us over the top, and we consistently have too many of them.
80% of Jay Wright's practices are defense and rebounding. That mind set will weed out a lot of one sided players, all by itself. It's a culture based on toughness and to play good defense, you need toughness. It's not easy playing good defense. It takes hard work and very few people compliment you on it because it doesn't show up in the box score. That's half of the equation. The other half of the equation is Fran deciding he's not going to play kids that don't play defense.

Fran also pointed out that we played much better defense in 16-17 than in 17-18 and with essentially the same team. my feeling all along was that this season exposed an achilles heel; perimeter speed/quickness. Fran pointed out that if you look at our offensive numbers, they don't add up with our record. So, we shall see. It almost felt like he was telling us he's challenged his team to commit to defense...not just effort, but execution, and that he believes they'll make that commitment, based on what he's seen so far. But, still need speed and quickness.

I personally don't care when he uses the scholly's, but, when used, they need to fix the problem. I think we'll be surprised how much a healthy Connor will help.
He has serious short term memory loss or he's being disingenuous. The 2016-17 team gave up 78.1 PPG and finished 301 out of 351 in PPG allowed. The 2017-18 season was 78.7 PPG allowed (a difference of .6) and 317 out of 351 PPG allowed.

Jay Wright
Matt Painter
John Beilein
Fran McCaffery
Don't you mean 3 NCAA appearances in 7 years before this point?

The most interesting part of that podcast was the part about Connor needing to be heavier for baseball vs basketball. At 6'5, you'd probably want to be 225-235 lbs for baseball. Probably closer to 215 lbs for basketball. That makes me wonder what a guy like Connor would be like as a 235 lb small forward.

He has serious short term memory loss or he's being disingenuous. The 2016-17 team gave up 78.1 PPG and finished 301 out of 351 in PPG allowed. The 2017-18 season was 78.7 PPG allowed (a difference of .6) and 317 out of 351 PPG allowed.

based on the defense played, the season before last, the record was better.

Latest posts