Fran McCaffery is a worker

I like that he wanted this job knowing he would need to rebuild and he seems to have a good plan moving forward. Coach Lick was lost in the BIG 10.

Amen. Lick was too confident in his system and realized too late that talent and athletic players are kinda important. DUH Lick..... Go get those athletes Fran!

This is very strange that your buddy is hearing that, considering Siena is in New York...

So they don't cover sports outside of NY city?

I know where Siena is, I was just stating that coach Fran has been getting attention out in the City of New York. He said that a local call in show the other day, they were talking about him and the current situation Iowa basketball is in and what he will need to do to change it.

I would love John Wilkins!

Maybe somebody can confirm this but I believe he would have 3 years of eligibility if he came to Iowa

Wilkins has at least 3 years of eligibility, but it's looking like he will lose that 4th year because of playing in the pro league.

Coach Carroll has said Wilkins has the most potential of any player he has ever coached. This kid would have been on every major team's radar in the country if he had played this year. Carroll said there is no doubt SCC would have won it all if Wilkins could have played.

By all accounts, no academic problems, a legit 6-8/6-9, has good handles and fairly fluid for his size. Likes to face the basket because he has some decent range.

Not a Doug Thomas type player at all. Much further along with his b-ball skills -- but maybe can't jump as high -- can anyone though. ;)

If Iowa could land Wilkins, I would not be as bummed about Larson going elsewhere (and I think he will). And, I have been saying all along that Larson was the best player in the recruiting class.

A class of:
Yet to be named PG, Brust, Wilkins, Basabe, McCabe and Marble would make me VERY happy.

I still think Iowa regains Brust's commitment but Larson is gone, gone, gone.

Last edited:
Wilkins has at least 3 years of eligibility, but it's looking like he will lose that 4th year because of playing in the pro league.

Coach Carroll has said Wilkins has the most potential of any player he has ever coached. This kid would have been on every major team's radar in the country if he had played this year. Carroll said there is no doubt SCC would have won it all if Wilkins could have played.

By all accounts, no academic problems, a legit 6-8/6-9, has good handles and fairly fluid for his size. Likes to face the basket because he has some decent range.

Not a Doug Thomas type player at all. Much further along with his b-ball skills -- but maybe can't jump as high -- can anyone though. ;)

If Iowa could land Wilkins, I would not be as bummed about Larson going elsewhere (and I think he will). And, I have been saying all along that Larson was the best player in the recruiting class.

A class of:
Yet to be named PG, Brust, Wilkins, Basabe, McCabe and Marble would make me VERY happy.

I still think Iowa regains Brust's commitment but Larson is gone, gone, gone.

FM has been a jet setter since being hired. According to Marble, he and Fran will be having lunch today at 11:40...seems to be really looking forward to it. FWIW...

Is it safe to assume that Arizona State has offered a scholarship to every highschool junior and senior in the United States, regardless of whether or not they even play basketball? Or does it just seem that way...

I was thinking the same thing... at least Sendek has offered all the Iowa boys... Creekmur, Fuller (reportedly), a bunch in 2011/12.

33 John Wilkins FR 6'9" 215 Gary, IN

Father-in-Law went to every home SCC game this year...was raving about this cat months ago saying Iowa should go after him before others found out about him.

May be one of those diamonds...

I didn't think wilkins even played this year? Was he raving about his bench presence?

Latest posts