Fran McCaffery Addresses Hawkeyes' Defensive Deficiencies

Kriener gets abused on the defensive end.

He certainly does. I believe that could be corrected with more actual game experience. There is also the factor that he might be attempting to compensate for the lack of defensive awareness the Hawks excell in around the paint.....

Zone requires a team work effort. Not hard to coach. Man D, a lot of schools don't do it. In HS most of the time teams should be man. The other team's quick PGs will destroy Iowa regardless of how good the others are.

I don't watch high school basketball. I do watch the video clips of the players with whom the Hawks are interested. It certainly appears that the hs game is offense oriented. That is where the attention lies. Nobody really watches the highlight video to observe defensive prowess. Occasionally a highly ranked player will block a shot or intercept a pass, but the emphasis is on what he does offensively after the steal or block.....

Nonetheless, D can be taught. It is not really that difficult. It is rather basic. Stay in front of your man with a wide stance, preventing him from driving by you. Keep your hands near the ball, follow the ball everytime he shifts it. Play your opponent close. When he attempts a three, be right there with your hands in his face, in front of the ball, hopefully preventing a clean shot while interfering with his point of view.....

Rather simplistic, and only refers to perimeter play. That is how I played in another dimension, eons ago.....

I did have the ability to knock the ball away from the opponent when he started his dribble. Usually I slapped the ball out of bounds off his legs.....

Not certain if that strategy will work these days, players being Allen Iverson like and all....

:cool:

I don't watch high school basketball. I do watch the video clips of the players with whom the Hawks are interested. It certainly appears that the hs game is offense oriented. That is where the attention lies. Nobody really watches the highlight video to observe defensive prowess. Occasionally a highly ranked player will block a shot or intercept a pass, but the emphasis is on what he does offensively after the steal or block.....

Nonetheless, D can be taught. It is not really that difficult. It is rather basic. Stay in front of your man with a wide stance, preventing him from driving by you. Keep your hands near the ball, follow the ball everytime he shifts it. Play your opponent close. When he attempts a three, be right there with your hands in his face, in front of the ball, hopefully preventing a clean shot while interfering with his point of view.....

Rather simplistic, and only refers to perimeter play. That is how I played in another dimension, eons ago.....

I did have the ability to knock the ball away from the opponent when he started his dribble. Usually I slapped the ball out of bounds off his legs.....

Not certain if that strategy will work these days, players being Allen Iverson like and all....

If you don't watch high school basketball, and only the highlight videos, you aren't going to see much, if any defense. Team defense is taught at the high school level, at most programs. If the coach is worth a spit, anyway.

When I watch football I think the big ten officials are pretty good and the big 12 have the worst in the country . When I watch a big 12 basketball game I’m impressed with the officiating but when I watch a big 10 hoops game they are flat out terrible . The big 12 officials look like they could play the game when they were younger . I can’t say that about the big 10 . They look like former waterboys

In college football officials are employed by the conference. In college basketball, they officials are independent contractors and work for all kinds of conferences. Many basketball officials work both conferences.

For the record you can have Tom Eades, but he's on the only one I don't think does a good job. I honestly just think he's getting a little old for it.

Defense is effort and attitude and can be improved...with physical limitations...

How often do we hear about a recruit..."He excels at the defensive in...loves to shut his opponent down...takes pride in stopping others...constant motor."

I watched the shot Cordell took from the Maryland player. If their coach has any balls, he will suspend the kid for at least one game. As I have watched the officials during Iowa's BT season games, I am absolutely appalled at how terrible they are. Yes. I am biased. However, I have seen a lot of basketball and I am not stupid.

Officiating has really declined over the years. They are now becoming a part of the game and often blow the whistle anticipating that a foul will occur, instead of being a blatant foul. They need to go back to only blowing the whistle if is obvious, and if not, let the play continue. Some think they have to blow the whistle just because they have it or the power to do so.

In addition, I also think there is a dirty side as well with betting/gambling, organized crime, etc..

Last edited:
When I watch football I think the big ten officials are pretty good and the big 12 have the worst in the country . When I watch a big 12 basketball game I’m impressed with the officiating but when I watch a big 10 hoops game they are flat out terrible . The big 12 officials look like they could play the game when they were younger . I can’t say that about the big 10 . They look like former waterboys

Gotta agree with this.

It is difficult to believe that none of the Hawks learned to play some D in high school. They all, with the exception of Baer do not seem to have a clue. The team D is pathetic. It should be somewhat automatic. You have to be able to depend on a teammate covering when one helps out. Three or more Hawkeyes do Not need to help defend one player.....

I know this will be ridiculed, but Uhl and Kriener know how to play D.....

Kriener suffers from lack of playing time. He needs to be in the game more than 2/3 minutes to develop experience and comfort about being in the game.....Agree. He is a terrific "all around" player and can give you points from the perimeter. Active long body.

Dom knows how to play D and would certainly help bringing the ball downcourt. Might as well use him when we are outmatched by quickness and speed on the perimeter. He would help defend the perimeter.....

Of course, the jury is out on him playing at all this season....,

Even more mysterious is nobody on that coaching staff can step up to help coach the defense. Anybody who has played organized basketball gets defense drilled into them from the start, correct footwork, form, positioning, weakside, strongside, etc.. You can't tell me that all those coaches aren't very good with defense.

The two most effective shots in the game of basketball are layups/dunks and wide open 3s. Iowa employs defenses that give up a lot of those, so it’s no surprise we are a horrible defensive team.

The two most effective shots in the game of basketball are layups/dunks and wide open 3s. Iowa employs defenses that give up a lot of those, so it’s no surprise we are a horrible defensive team.

With Iowa's length, and supposedly athletic players, I just don't understand why they are so poor at defending the 3. One would think they'd be able to give a little room and close in better on the player, to either prevent the shot or disrupt the shot. I don't get it.

Good point. Actually, you really don't see a lot of 15 ft shots anymore. The 12-15 ft shot is going by the wayside. As I teach my basketball team, A 17-19 ft shot is worthless as the risk vs reward is not there. Might as well be behind the 3 line. Kind of sad the mid range jumper is not what it used to be. Yes the game has changed as is either get it inside or look for the 3 ball.

It's even like that in youth ball.

Nobody blocks out on rebounds either. Drives me nuts.

With Iowa's length, and supposedly athletic players, I just don't understand why they are so poor at defending the 3. One would think they'd be able to give a little room and close in better on the player, to either prevent the shot or disrupt the shot. I don't get it.
The problem to me is still the minutes going to Garza, Pemsl, and Kriener, as opposed to Nunge, Dailey, and Baer.

When you are less than athletic in the backcourt (with JBo), than you can’t give that many minutes to guys that are that are that slow footed in the front court. In essence we play zone but find ourselves chasing the other team around, problem is you can’t recover when you are slow. Our positioning is obviously extremely poor so I would rather have long players that can cover ground.

The problem is they overhelp/collapse after somebody gets beat on a perimeter drive (which happens nearly every possession) and the ball gets moved around until they find the wide open shooter. They are regularly so far out of position that length and athleticism don't matter :(

Good point. Actually, you really don't see a lot of 15 ft shots anymore. The 12-15 ft shot is going by the wayside. As I teach my basketball team, A 17-19 ft shot is worthless as the risk vs reward is not there. Might as well be behind the 3 line. Kind of sad the mid range jumper is not what it used to be. Yes the game has changed as is either get it inside or look for the 3 ball.

It's even like that in youth ball.
It'll never happen of course... but when we think about what "good basketball" used to be, if we're honest it was before the 3-pt line came into existence.

Latest posts