Fran has to figure this out...

I loved Mr. Davis, and it is a shame people with too high of expectations for our basketball program had to run him out. Kinda like they are trying to do now to Fran. But comparing these numbers makes no sense when Mr. Davis had a huge advantage over Fran in that his win percentage was helped a great deal by his first 3 seasons where he had NBA talent that the previous coach had recruited to Iowa while Fran had a handful of scholarship players remaining from the "Lackluster" years. You throw out TD's first 3 seasons and Frans first season and they win percentage come awfully damn close. I'll give you the post season success TD had and, again, it's a shame he was ever chased out of here by fans who had too high of expectations.

Again tho, take away the Raveling recruits and Davis pretty much was one and done the 2 out of 3 years he made it. Fran lost his first game one and won it twice. Not quite as good, but pretty close. With hopefully at least 5 more years to improve.

Again tho, take away the Raveling recruits and Davis pretty much was one and done the 2 out of 3 years he made it. Fran lost his first game one and won it twice. Not quite as good, but pretty close. With hopefully at least 5 more years to improve.

Davis never lost in the first round. Iowa has not had as good of an in-game coach as Mr. Davis since Lute Olson. Fran is getting us back to that NCAA Tournament level but it remains to be seen if he can ever be as good of a in-game coach. Unlike some of the others on here I'm willing to give him that chance.

Davis never lost in the first round. Iowa has not had as good of an in-game coach as Mr. Davis since Lute Olson. Fran is getting us back to that NCAA Tournament level but it remains to be seen if he can ever be as good of a in-game coach. Unlike some of the others on here I'm willing to give him that chance.

I think he is way better at putting talent on the court and maybe better at implementing the game plan before the game, but he doesn't really do much in game coaching. He relies on the players to work thru it too much and gives players minutes that do nothing but kill momentum.

I think Fran is capable of a higher ceiling than Davis was (not counting Raveling's receuits) but his deficiencies might keep him from reaching that ceiling. Because of that I would say there is a 50% chance he will be remembered as better than Davis and a 50% chance he will be remembered as the same but with more "what ifs".

I actually think that Fran is a better in game coach than Davis. Both had teams that struggled for the most part on the defensive end, particularly against defending the 3. But Fran will adjust and try other things. Davis would continue to run press against teams that would kill it. And his half court offense consisted of throwing the ball around the perimeter.

Davis also struggled in the BTT. He was 0-2 and lost by double digits both times. One with an NCAA bid in the balance.

The big difference between the two is Davis always seemed to find a PG. JB is the first legit PG Fran has had in 7 seasons

I loved Mr. Davis, and it is a shame people with too high of expectations for our basketball program had to run him out. Kinda like they are trying to do now to Fran. But comparing these numbers makes no sense when Mr. Davis had a huge advantage over Fran in that his win percentage was helped a great deal by his first 3 seasons where he had NBA talent that the previous coach had recruited to Iowa while Fran had a handful of scholarship players remaining from the "Lackluster" years. You throw out TD's first 3 seasons and Frans first season and they win percentage come awfully damn close. I'll give you the post season success TD had and, again, it's a shame he was ever chased out of here by fans who had too high of expectations.
Oh absolutely Mr. Davis had that going for him coming in! And NO I'm not trying to run Fran out with this 4 he had as freshman and what he has coming in next year he should absolutely get 3 more years! He's done his best job recruiting as of late. Now Mr. Davis DID have a couple quality NCAA tourney appearances AFTER Raveling's recruits were out of the system so let's see time will tell. Going 2-7 in your first 7 years in conference tournament seems to me to be more than coincidence. I don't think him or his coaching staff have done a good job especially in the conference tournament.

yeah you did. Sound familiar?

"I know I lost you you've struggled to keep up this entire time..Next time I'll slow down for you."

So just stop pulling a Mr.trump and waffle on what you said.

This is a public forum, isn't it?

I have good things to say about PC -- a reasonable and reasoning poster and still passionate about the Hawks. That's why I entered your conversation.

If you don't want anybody to comment on your conversations then you can always go to the safe place of private messages.
Speaking of Trump let's get facts straight DD. Under Fran as measured by the last 10 games in every season since he's been here have NOT progressed in terms of wins and losses 5 of the last 7. Speaking of Trump all I"m asking is before you make outlandish claims check your facts.

Oh absolutely Mr. Davis had that going for him coming in! And NO I'm not trying to run Fran out with this 4 he had as freshman and what he has coming in next year he should absolutely get 3 more years! He's done his best job recruiting as of late. Now Mr. Davis DID have a couple quality NCAA tourney appearances AFTER Raveling's recruits were out of the system so let's see time will tell. Going 2-7 in your first 7 years in conference tournament seems to me to be more than coincidence. I don't think him or his coaching staff have done a good job especially in the conference tournament.

The first 2 years we were terrible and did what terrible teams do, we lost. Nothing crazy there.

The next 2 years we were a decent team and won the first round games then lost the second round games (even got screwed bad in one. Again, nothing there suggests Fran is good or bad at coaching games that are in the Big 10 tournament.

This year we were in a 50/50 game and lost. We got blown out, but that tends to happen with the way Fran coaches.

It's the previous 3 years that aren't a coincidence. Something is up with losing in the first round when we're big favorites. There are three possibilities on why it happened. One is Fran can't keep his team focused on the task at hand. Another is the players weren't mentally strong enough to not over look a weak opponent. The third is that it was just random. Randomly losing 3 times in a row as a big favorite is possible, but not likely. I think it was the last core of players who showed time and again they were mentally weak.

Speaking of Trump let's get facts straight DD. Under Fran as measured by the last 10 games in every season since he's been here have NOT progressed in terms of wins and losses 5 of the last 7. Speaking of Trump all I"m asking is before you make outlandish claims check your facts.

Do you really not understand that the last 10 games are way tougher than the first 10? Going 5-5 in the first 10 games is horrible. Going 5-5 in the last 10 is decent.

Stop with the Trump tactics of putting words in other people's mouths so you can (try to) knock down what they didn't say and then cannot even do that.

I have not made any claims about Fran -- especially what you stated above. Get yourself straight.

What I did say is that Franiacs give the impression that Fran has never been a good tournament coach so will never be. Ain't true.

This is why he's not a good coach imo. He's mentally fragile spaz who is an embarrassment to the school. Throwing tantrums is for toddlers.

<<He's a mentally fragile spaz who is an embarrassment to the school. Throwing tantrums is for toddlers>>

Meanwhile, here on HN, we have folks like you, Haymaker and a few others that are an embarrassment to Hawkeye fans...

Latest posts