Fran has to figure this out...

When you sign an ALL AMERICAN point guard from the Junior College ranks and he comes in and looks terrible................whelp that one has had me scratching my head. Also that is the position and the type of player that has been a failure recruiting and developing in the Iowa Program under Fran. I am biting my fingers here trying not to be too critical but the truth is what it is............. and yes defense, defense, defense as most of you have pointed out.

In two more years Fran will have been here for ten years and will have seen the best that he has to offer as a coach. The freshmen class we have and a FEW of the incoming recruits in next year's and following years class APPEAR to be upgrades in talent and ability so that's why I am being patient. If we still are at the same level and having the same results two years from today we'll then the gloves come off.
Don't bother arguing truth with PC brother.

One more comment on after 10 years we will have seen the best Fran has to offer. How is there any way to know that? How can you know he won't land a couple big time stud recruits after the 10 year mark? How can you know that Weiscamp and Patrick won't lay a foundation for Fran's best team ever in year 12? Maybe that Foster kid ends up being the best big man in the history of Iowa. I just don't know how people don't understand that a coach can just as easily land his best team ever in year 12 or 15 or 20 than he can in his first 10 years.
By your logic Lickliter should still be here.

PC Learn how to count my man here's Fran's handy work last 10 games since he's been here I'm not insinuating anything other than you don't know your facts:

10-11 3-7 LOSER
11-12 5-5 DRAW
12-13 7-3
13-14 3-7 LOSER
14-15 7-3
15-16 4-6 LOSER
16-17 6-4

TOTAL 35-35 .500 And that my friend is worse than his overall record at Iowa so yeah I'm not insinuating I'm backing it with facts.

You are ignoring the fact that the non conference is way weaker than the last 10 games of the season. The first year we were night and day better at the end of the year.

By your logic Lickliter should still be here.

If lick put together his best team, they would maybe get to the middle of the Big 10. If Fran put together his best team, they would win the Big 10. It's all about the base a coach has you at. The last 4 years we've had at base good enough to have a chance to win the conference if everything went our way. That is the base I want an Iowa coach to have his team at year in and year out.

I rather enjoyed the TenaciousD the Lads played at Maryland and Wisconsin, and at times against Indiana and Penn State at Carver.....

I still recall that the Hawks are composed of 7 freshmen and 4 sophomores, along with one junior and Peter Jok.....

Indiana was certainly clicking on all cylinders, and apparently returned to the form that scored 103 points while defeating Kansas and defeated North Caroling 76-67 early in the season.....

Kansas or North Carolina have a solid chance of cutting the nets in the Championship Game in the Dance.....

And as an afterthought: Lets not do any more STARES.....

Just might get into the heads of our opponents and provide extraordinary incentive.....

:cool:

If lick put together his best team, they would maybe get to the middle of the Big 10. If Fran put together his best team, they would win the Big 10. It's all about the base a coach has you at. The last 4 years we've had at base good enough to have a chance to win the conference if everything went our way. That is the base I want an Iowa coach to have his team at year in and year out.
Funny you were arguing against what if's a minute ago NOW you are using them to argue your point. I have no use for continuing this dialogue based on relativism.

Funny you were arguing against what if's a minute ago NOW you are using them to argue your point. I have no use for continuing this dialogue based on relativism.

You lost me. You were the one who brought up lick which made no sense at all.

IMO, Fran needs to make the tourney next year and minimize the "bad" losses. He has 2-3 years to either be in the conversation for regular season champ come end of Feb, and/or make a deep run in the B1G tourney. I think missing the Dance any of the next 3 years would be under performing.

In addition, making it at least to the round of 32 in the next 3 years needs to happen.

I like Fran a lot, but barring significant injury or attrition, this next 3 years will be critical for him staying at Iowa longer term.

People dis a lot of things about Fran. But in my opinion, the one thing that concerns me is all of his best players are from in state. We still don't know what he can do when he has to rely on out of state kids. I think he is proving with Cook, Garza, and Nunge that he is fine there. But to me, that's the biggest question mark left.

IMO, Fran needs to make the tourney next year and minimize the "bad" losses. He has 2-3 years to either be in the conversation for regular season champ come end of Feb, and/or make a deep run in the B1G tourney. I think missing the Dance any of the next 3 years would be under performing.

In addition, making it at least to the round of 32 in the next 3 years needs to happen.

I like Fran a lot, but barring significant injury or attrition, this next 3 years will be critical for him staying at Iowa longer term.

Good points. If this doesn't happen then we've seen the peak Fran is capable of and will be time for a change.

The Indiana was

bad match up.......I didn't see getting smoked like this,however.
No. Me neither.

I wonder if Maryland could see getting smoked by Iowa at Mary's house? It happens. I was working so i didn't get to judge effort. It's hard enough to follow the game on WHO to draw conclusions while listening.

He is a great shooter and very good passer

Exactly my point and well said. Two or three years we need to see significant bench marks.

I love how this team competed this year and it was one of the more fun and enjoyable seasons I can remember in a long time. So I'm not going to let one loss define how I view the season as a whole.

But Fran has now lost to every double digit seed possible in the last 4 years except for the 14. The players have changed every year, but the one constant is Fran. At some point he's got to figure out a different approach because it sucks ass bowing out in the opening game of the BTT every freaking year...

The first paragraph and the second paragraph don't fit together very well within the same post.

The thing is, is at his three other schools he took to the NCAA tournament... all of them were one bid leagues. Meaning he won the conference tournament to get there.

Latest posts