Fran deserves some heat from this game

That's a crap excuse. They still practice, dont they? Tell me how many practices they've had and then we can talk.
Please tell us when practicing vs teammates = playing a real game vs opponents. Not the same thing. They could scrimmage everyday and it's still not the same. Lots of different variables.

Lets be intellectually honest here. It wasn't the win/loss or how many points we won by. Marble let a guy blow right by him in transition for an easy lay up.
The effort was lacking. End of story. And no amount of time between games effects the amount of EFFORT involved,
A lot of people have different opinions on what is good basketball. If anyone here can honestly say that they saw maximum effort tonite, I'd. Like them to step forward and defend their opinion.
P.S. I don't really want to hear your excuses but others might.

No need for excuses...We're 1-0 and tied for 1st place. There is no team in the Big 10 with a better conference record going into tomorrow.

Didn't every league team who played tonight have a long layoff, finals, etc etc etc??
Can't really use that as an excuse.

It took MSU over a half to get going too. They were down big in the first half to PSU, should Izzo get some heat?

It's funny how people see one game and talk about how the season will play out assuming that every game is going to look the same. The way you should judge a team is by how good they look when they play good and how bad they look when they play bad.

I think when they play good they look like a top ten team and when they play bad they look like middle of the pack big 10 team. Also if we make our average free throw percentage we probably win by 20.

It took MSU over a half to get going too. They were down big in the first half to PSU, should Izzo get some heat?

They were also on the road and controlled the 2nd half......they looked like a powerhouse at the end of the game and were not struggling to hold on like us at home against a bottom dweller.

Not that 1 Big Ten game makes a season, but Iowa is carrying with it some bad tendencies from game to game (bad free throw shooting, letting good and bad teams back into games, plodding offense/defense in stretches, etc). Sure Iowa has blown out completely the cup-cakes on their schedule in the pre-season and it does not really describe those games.

The chinks in the armor is what concerns me. We have some bad tendencies we need to break fast if we aspire to exceed minimum expectations (for example more than just an NCAA tourney team).

Last edited:
I've been waiting for somebody to say that Fran needs to make everybody shoot 500 free throws.

We can all agree that we need to shoot much better from the line. That said, we shot well to start the year. It's not about lack of shooting free throws or needing more practice. It's all between the ears. Take it game by game.

We'll lose against some better teams if we don't make them. Plain and simple. Let's see what happens. Easy to say now that we pulled it out tonight
The only way you change what is between their ears is repetition, so 500 free throws is really a pretty good idea.

Please tell us when practicing vs teammates = playing a real game vs opponents. Not the same thing. They could scrimmage everyday and it's still not the same. Lots of different variables.

It's not the same thing but it's what keeps players from getting "rusty". If they didn't set foot on a basketball court for 18 days, fine. I would have ZERO problem with the "rusty" excuse. But since they HAVE practiced and they have been playing basketball of some kind, it's nothing more than a BS excuse.

He just let his team sleep walk through this game. Maybe he needs to stop reading his headlines.

Very disappointed with the lazy effort in this game - starts with HC

Bad free throw shooting? Yes.

Lazy effort? Are you nuts? Did we watch the same game? We held them to 29% shooting, for cripe's sakes!!!!!! Defense takes EFFORT

If Barta doesn't make it clear to Fran that he is on very thin ice after this game then I want him fired before the end of the week!

It's not the same thing but it's what keeps players from getting "rusty". If they didn't set foot on a basketball court for 18 days, fine. I would have ZERO problem with the "rusty" excuse. But since they HAVE practiced and they have been playing basketball of some kind, it's nothing more than a BS excuse.

Fran let the players all go home for Christmas for a few days. He said that we have a veteran club and trusted that the players would work out, get their shots in while at home. So they had a few days off recently.

I'm surprised that you aren't telling us that the they played terrible cause they didn't have enough assists....even though they have the 4th most assists in the country.....

They were also on the road and controlled the 2nd half......they looked like a powerhouse at the end of the game and were not struggling to hold on like us at home against a bottom dweller.

Not that 1 Big Ten game makes a season, but Iowa is carrying with it some bad tendencies from game to game (bad free throw shooting, letting good and bad teams back into games, plodding offense/defense in stretches, etc). Sure Iowa has blown out completely the cup-cakes on their schedule in the pre-season and it does not really describe those games.

The chinks in the armor is what concerns me. We have some bad tendencies we need to break fast if we aspire to exceed minimum expectations (for example more than just an NCAA tourney team).

Wait. So the Hawkeyes aren't a flawless team? Who knew.

Lets be intellectually honest here. It wasn't the win/loss or how many points we won by. Marble let a guy blow right by him in transition for an easy lay up.
The effort was lacking. End of story. And no amount of time between games effects the amount of EFFORT involved,
A lot of people have different opinions on what is good basketball. If anyone here can honestly say that they saw maximum effort tonite, I'd. Like them to step forward and defend their opinion.
P.S. I don't really want to hear your excuses but others might.

Obviously not the end of yer story mr happy

Another less than intelligent post by lightning mcqueen. Here's a tip for you. If you can't post without cursing, you have nothing to say worth reading. Genius.

Step away from the ledge people....not the best Iowa effort, but it's a "W".....You will all be kissin Fran's a$$ when Iowa takes down the Mighty Bo....no worries....long season and we will start hittin FT's....remember Fran is the coach, not the player.....

I'm just hoping it was a one time let down. If they play like that consistently, they would end up with a losing record in the BIG. They really sucked last night.

Step away from the ledge people....not the best Iowa effort, but it's a "W".....You will all be kissin Fran's a$$ when Iowa takes down the Mighty Bo....no worries....long season and we will start hittin FT's....remember Fran is the coach, not the player.....
Well said. As most of you should remember, Nebraska has a style of play that lends itself to the type of game that we saw last nite. I remember last season seeing scores from almost every game that Nebraska played where they ugly up the game,stick some 3's & had several of the better teams in this league in trouble. The difference is the better teams in the Big 10 figure out a way to overcome their style of play & come out with a victory,which is what Iowa did last nite. Am I happy with the free throw shooting last nite no, but like it or not I believe the Hawks were looking past Nebby to Wisconsin and it showed. I believe Fran will have the Hawks ready to play the Badgers on Sunday & we will see a very good game out of the Hawks. Lets hope for a win as the Badgers currently have an RPI of #3 and the Hawks have an RPI of #40,as you can see a W against Bucky would really boost the RPI. Go Hawks time to beat the Badgers for the fourth time out of the last five trys!
rwtsracefan(Dan Wemett)

Latest posts